Overnight backpack hunting

looks pretty good man, will get you out of trouble and into the bush no doubt, a good basic starting kit.

let us know the Numbers once you have weighed with Water and Food, you may be surprised.. depends on what ya eatin.

snake kit-   not much chop for april - September but very worthy item for the warmer months....   

what rifle yer toting to be up in the mid weight class?     Sub 3kg is light weights,   3-4 is middle weight an 4+ is not a backpacking rifle.

WL

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, whelanlad said:

looks pretty good man, will get you out of trouble and into the bush no doubt, a good basic starting kit.

let us know the Numbers once you have weighed with Water and Food, you may be surprised.. depends on what ya eatin.

snake kit-   not much chop for april - September but very worthy item for the warmer months....   

what rifle yer toting to be up in the mid weight class?     Sub 3kg is light weights,   3-4 is middle weight an 4+ is not a backpacking rifle.

WL

Yeah could probably leave the bandage out but knowing my luck that will be the trip I accidentally drop punt one in the middle of know where hahah 

yeah was surprised, it's a tikka t3 hunter with a meopta 4-12x50 so the scope won't be helping. Maybe this is a good excuse to invest in a light weight cannon 

• Like 1

Anyone tried sealskinz socks?  I've heard good things but haven't bought a pair yet
Joel has.He had his on in NZ.I found my explorers to stay warm when wet

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good stuff V.

Now to put it to good use mate! 

Do you have any "proper" lightweight waterproof gear? I think the mallard stuff does a good job keeping most of the stuff out from what I've heard, but for serious wet stuff or even just keeping dry when pushing bush, a lightweight packable waterproof jacket and pant will ensure your main hunting garments stay dry. Last thing ya want is having your only set of camos(or whatever) damp for the duration of you packing out..real pita.

I found that my rain stuff does the job, although a top that finishes below my waist ( or below my 8==D )would be ideal for water run off as the normal length one allows water through when you bend over etc. A little more length would fix the problem.. that's what she said.

just some food for thought mate.

Edit: never mind, just seen your other post about the hunters element gear, sorted!

• Like 1

On 07/08/2017 at 10:12 PM, Duncs said:

Anyone tried sealskinz socks?  I've heard good things but haven't bought a pair yet

Yer I've had a pair for a few years now and love them.  I only wear them when hunting coz at $65 a pair I'm not replacing them !

There very warm and comfy but take a fair while to dry being a wetsuit type material.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joefish said:

Yer I've had a pair for a few years now and love them.  I only wear them when hunting coz at $65 a pair I'm not replacing them !

There very warm and comfy but take a fair while to dry being a wetsuit type material.  

Do you wear them on their own or with boots over the top? I've heard of people using them for stalking, but never seen them myself

Edited by Lightweight
God damn auto correct

16 minutes ago, Lightweight said:

Do you wear them on their own or with boots over the top? I've heard of people using them for stalking, but never seen them myself

I haven't but I would for sure  , there very soft and thick underfoot.  I just haven't had the chance to stalk in on one unnoticed or the boots would be off. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Onthemark said:

Good stuff V.

Now to put it to good use mate! 

Do you have any "proper" lightweight waterproof gear? I think the mallard stuff does a good job keeping most of the stuff out from what I've heard, but for serious wet stuff or even just keeping dry when pushing bush, a lightweight packable waterproof jacket and pant will ensure your main hunting garments stay dry. Last thing ya want is having your only set of camos(or whatever) damp for the duration of you packing out..real pita.

I found that my rain stuff does the job, although a top that finishes below my waist ( or below my 8==D )would be ideal for water run off as the normal length one allows water through when you bend over etc. A little more length would fix the problem.. that's what she said.

just some food for thought mate.

Edit: never mind, just seen your other post about the hunters element gear, sorted!

Yep that's exactly what made me upgrade ! I've had no real issues hunting in the wet locally but I find they don't breath same with the pants ! 

Anyone hunt in thermals with shorts ? I'm thinking of going in that direction for breathability and flexibility but worried about they would perform in wet weather 

3 hours ago, verminator said:

Anyone hunt in thermals with shorts ? I'm thinking of going in that direction for breathability and flexibility but worried about they would perform in wet weather 

yeh I do in summer more so,   with gaitors and shorts.

depending on material of the thermals, some materials can keep warm next to skin while being wet, so you might get around a while on a wet set as above the weight is not draggin you down with cold water..    I see a few kiwis get off on the thermals an shorts, sometimes no shorts L O L , they push wet bush but admittedly they are 84% tougher minded and practical than Us.

a extra set of thicker thermals for once the day is done, a quick towel up and a change of base layer can make the world seem a lot better place on the side of the hill..

this is what experiencing shit does, it helps you out in future..  an would perhaps answer 75% of your remaining questions... that is once you have Done a trip.... you know whats to be expected...

keep it simple or do a reccy run in a bush, before your big ol backpack sambar deer hunt...

I know its not COOL camping down the River/on a Hill/up the Farm with the Backpacking gear, next to a vehicle- or a short few hours walk away.....  but that's called a "full dress rehersal" an a lot of the deer hunters don't do it.

WL

• Like 3

Yeah I noticed the kiwis love running that setup so must be alright ! 

I reckon I'll try it and see how I go worse case scenario I'll buy some pants 

yeah I'll invest in another pair of thermals so I can have a freshen up if need be 

exactly right , this first trip should teach me a lot of what I need and don't need , I think I've got the necessities sorted so it will be just about improving comfort 

my first hunt will be at dargo at a spot I'm familiar with , I'll hike in a bit and setup but at the end of the day and shit hit the fan for some reason I'd be able to hoof it back to the ute. Don't wanna go to big to early