Satellite phone

Could someone please recommend a good satellite phone that is reliable, has good functions, not too expensive etc?

We've look at this one.

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/delorme-inreach-se-personal-satellite-gps-messenge/DELINRSE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a sat phone. It's a GPS messenger. Some of these require expensive subscription services.

what do you want the unit to do?

That's not a sat phone. It's a GPS messenger. Some of these require expensive subscription services.
what do you want the unit to do?

Hi Geoff. The boss wants one so we can be in touch when out of range. In touch with each other and the kids at home. Likewise on long outback trips.
I'm not sure what the link has, Camilo sent it to me to ask.

I just asked him again. Apparently he knows it's not a satellite phone (accurate communication not his strong point). He says satellite phones also have subscription fees but are more expensive.

You might be better off with a satellite sleeve that turns your IPhone into a sat phone.

http://www.thuraya.com/SatSleeve

I had 2 satellite phones years back, Globalstar and I forget the other telco or something...
They worked OK, but when you weren't using them, it was like $30 a month just to have the account... and when you did use them - it was like $3 bucks a minute whether the call was incoming or outgoing & that adds up bloody fast.

So for e.g. if your traveling remote for any length of time, you have to pay your sat phone bill at the end of each month or they cut you off... but there's just one problem with that - when you go to their automated bill pay service via the satellite phone the "time delay" doesn't allow you to pay your bill by the Sat phone with your credit card because with the time delay bye the time the computer generated voice asks you to enter your account number or your credit card number or how much you want to pay etc the automated computer at their end thinks you didn't answer and starts with the whole menu options list again and you spend hours trying to pay the bill (at $3 a minute) - so you run up a $500 bill on the one call trying to pay last months bill, and it doesn't work then they cut you off for non payment etc etc!

Another 'problem' is you can't 100% guarantee that the sat phone will always work!. You'd think you can but you can't.
We were out at the Houtman Abrolhos Islands (54 Nmiles off Geraldton) one Easter for a couple weeks all up & had to try and make these calls & couldn't get a Satellite signal for the life of us...  there was no obstructed view of the sky in all directions... no hills or trees out there to obscure your view of the sky at all so in theiry you should be able t ping a satellite any time night or day but not so...

Over the 4 days we tried hundreds of times every day (because the matter was urgent) and couldn't raise a soul.,

When we got home we got a bill for like $2000+ for not actually being able to contact anyone at all... so it turns out the Satellite was getting our signal and racking up a $2 or $3 each time hundreds of times a day for the whole Easter period.

BUT - the satellite was unable to connect to the ground station at Meekatharra or somewhere because there had been a thunderstorm and lightening had taken down the mains power connected to the ground receiving station.

The ground receiving station had a automated backup generator system and diesel fuel tank, for just such a scenario BUT some enterprising local abbbadiginies had managed to find this diesel tank and drain it into jerry cans to fill their land cruisers for free and stolen the whole 2000 liters over a period of time and it wasn't till the power went down that anyone realized the tank was dry and there was no backup supply for the backup generator...

So they did try to get emergency delivery of diesel to the ground station tank out of Meekatharra by their fuel delivery contractor over Easter but being Easter their fuel contractor said "sod off, it's Easter, I'll do it first thing Wednesday after Easter when I get back from my long weekend away fishing!".

So while we had 2 Sat phones with us at the Islands we couldn't actually use either... for the whole 5 days of Easter, yet they stil expected me to pay the $2000 bill for connecting to the satellite - even tho the satellite couldn't connect me to anyone down here on earth. They got a rude shock when I told em to whack their sat phones where the sun don't shine...

Its OK if your safe on an Island and you can wait - but maybe not so much if your floating around in a life raft at sea for 4 days with great while sharks (or crocks) wanting to use the raft as a teething ring - it would be preferable if the damn things worked like you think they should.

So they can be good BUT they aren't all that they are sometimes cracked up to be, by people who've never actually had one or the mega bills that go with them!

Just a heads up basically.

• Like 1

Farmgirl, this mob is down the Gold coast and sells the Satellite Sleaves. Give them a ring and talk to them as an optus shop is a waste of time asking them as no shop stocks them.

http://pivotel.com.au/thuraya-plans.php

When I was looking this mob was the most helpful apart from that I have no connection with them. I thought I don't need it as I was only needing it during 3-4days away and mounted 4' phone whip to ute and that increased my coverage enough to my phone. The coverage spots I found are in GPS and go there when require phone

The 4 local shops I visited I may as well asked for fish and chips. Could not understand if stocked them in the shops them may actual sell them. 

Sat sleave you should be able to receive calls on your standard mobil phone number so no need for 2nd number and means people do not need to now where you are either. Yes your Telstra and other carriers phone will work in this Optus product. Or you sms a person and then they ring you for cheaper calls especially if its your other half calling as your paying anyway.:) Just don't use the data service as costly IMHO

I believe persons ringing you are not at a premium rate for them to ring and you at not charged to receive. Some Sat phones you can be charged to receive phone calls and sms so check that out in the plans.

• Like 1

Joe Kerr apart from issues in regards to paying the bill and very expensive calls, I don't see how to sat phone company is at fault if the place you are calling is not able to receive the calls? As you said, satellite was receiving your signal and forwarding it on, but people could not answer. Its not sat phone fault, but as you said they should not charge you for those calls.

I guess it is a the same scenario if for example you smash your mobile phone and I try to contact you. Obviously I would not be able to, but it's not my mobile phone carrier fault. I am not sure if they would charge me though. Probably would.

Interesting how nobody from the group thought of trying to call someone else and then get them to try and check the station you were calling...

• Like 1

Pivotel is the place to check out the best subscriptions - read the Ts & Cs

They have great specials until the end of the month.

make sure you check out each options global coverage !!

Cheers

Waz

4 hours ago, grunf said:

Joe Kerr apart from issues in regards to paying the bill and very expensive calls, I don't see how to sat phone company is at fault if the place you are calling is not able to receive the calls? As you said, satellite was receiving your signal and forwarding it on, but people could not answer. Its not sat phone fault, but as you said they should not charge you for those calls.

I guess it is a the same scenario if for example you smash your mobile phone and I try to contact you. Obviously I would not be able to, but it's not my mobile phone carrier fault. I am not sure if they would charge me though. Probably would.

Interesting how nobody from the group thought of trying to call someone else and then get them to try and check the station you were calling...

It's a little different to that actually Grunf, - you see anyone you wish to call usually will be on the earth based land line phone system. So until such time as the satellite can hit a sat phone company earth based downlink station, which then connects you to a persons phone number on that land line system you can't call anyone.

If the Sat company's earth based downlink station has no power (or backup generator power) then there's no way to get a connection FROM the satellite back to earth... to then connect to anyone on the land line system.

Satellites only work for earth based communications IF you can both "up link" from your sat hand held unit to the Satellite & The Satellite can then also "down link" back to the earth based landline phone system!.

One without the other makes the whole system redundant!

So if you can't get a signal out to the Sat because your down in a ravine or a cave or have 3 tiered rain forest canopy above you obscuring your view of the sky and a line of sight connection to the Satellite, that's one way it can fail - but equally if the satellite can't connect to a earth based ground station to patch you into the land line phone system then equally you can't call anyone.

If the other person your trying to reach however, also had a Sat Phone, which was also in line of sight to the Satellite then yes you could call them because the connection would be direct via the satellite for each phone - it cuts out the involvement of a ground receiving station and the earth based land line system.

Hope that makes sense.

I've used one for a few years , I just bought a used Motorola and got the cheap $20p/m account from Telstra . The acc has to be post paid and u must get them to activate intl roaming for it to work . 

Calls are dearer this way at $4 per min and $1 texts but I barely use it and I still get $20 per mth to use . 

This is through the iridium system .

Thanks very much, guys. I will pass this info on to the master of technology in our house.

Got a 14 y/o kid, hey? [emoji6]

Haha, no, it's the husband I'm referring to. [emoji4]

• Like 1

Hi farmgirl I run the Inmarsat satellite phone, very basic and easy to use. Make calls and send texts like back on the old 3310 Nokia. Just pop the aerial until it picks up reception and away you go. Very good bit of gear for peace of mind when in remote areas or hunting alone! I know of a new one for sale for $350 my mate is selling never used. Not a mark on it all in its original box. Can pass on his number if you are interested.

Hi farmgirl I run the Inmarsat satellite phone, very basic and easy to use. Make calls and send texts like back on the old 3310 Nokia. Just pop the aerial until it picks up reception and away you go. Very good bit of gear for peace of mind when in remote areas or hunting alone! I know of a new one for sale for $350 my mate is selling never used. Not a mark on it all in its original box. Can pass on his number if you are interested.

Thanks Mick. I'll get the boss to look into it. If he wants it, I'll get that number off you.

On 2017-5-15 at 1:24 AM, Joe Kerr said:

When we got home we got a bill for like $2000+ for not actually being able to contact anyone at all... so it turns out the Satellite was getting our signal and racking up a $2 or $3 each time hundreds of times a day for the whole Easter period.

Did u get a refund/credit for the $2000?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alf said:

Did u get a refund/credit for the $2000?

Indeed we did, BUT it took a heck of a fight, before they would even admit what had happened with their Meekatharra down link station power outage and lack of fuel etc.

What i wonder is, how many thousands of users only tried once or twice and gave up trying if it wasn't urgent?... sure they would only have got charged $3 or $6 & probably paid it and never thought any more of it!.

They refunded me the $2K, BUT if they made another $6K from other users who had no idea and all paid say $6each - then they still wound up in front, for the error!.

I had to threaten them with the communications ombudsman etc, before they came clean about it all.

Pretty typical of how big communications company's deny everything up front & demand payment UNLESS you have iron clad proof and threaten to go public etc.

Good to hear! I was going to suggest TIO but good to hear you took care of it. Like you said i feel sorry for all those who didn't challenge it because it was only a few dollars to them...

• Like 1

Holy crap! $2000 is pretty scary!

• Like 1