Gps help

almost

Looking to get a gps so i can take deeper trips without having to worry about the way back and concentrate on the task at hand. Should i be looking at the best of the best or an average one will suffice? Any info or suggestions much appreciated

I have a Garmin Rino 650 which I've had a few years now that I'm happy with, and its also good if your with other people with the same model as it can be paired with other units so you can see where other people are that your hunting with on your GPS screen. Not really sure if its up there with the best or if its an average one but I'm happy with it for what I want.

• Like 2

I have a Garmin 62S, have had it for over three years. Has a lot of information on it, a lot that I don't use. But it's easy to use, and clear. It's also very rugged, it used to sit on my dirt bike handlebars.

I've got a Rino 650 and old man has one too.

My 2 cents

• Track and Way point managers are pretty simple to use.
  • Touch Screen works pretty well.
  • Good screen visibility during the day
  • Decent battery life, used if over a couple of days without recharging, powered off overnight obviously.
  • Get them to throw in the Topo Maps, they show bit more detail.

• Few gimmicky features I've never used.
  • UHF seems alright. I just leave mine on 2W, bump it up if needed.
  • Have had to re-calibrate them a couple of times. had both next to each other and the compass was off by quite a bit.
  • The partner tracking polling thing is hit and miss, sometimes one of them doesn't update the location of the other and vice versa. its not bad for a 'guide', wouldn't rely on it.

And i still carry a manual compass in case!

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to trust electronic compasses...  I think they rely on you walking for a bit before they really know which way is which - but that might be total crap.  I haven't read enough to know for sure because I don't trust them :)

Old fashioned is the way there I reckon

• Like 1