Rabbit knife

Basil Brush

HI

Does anyone have a favourite rabbit knife?

I have a collection of knives of all shapes and sizes and a meat cleaver but wouldn't say one is best suited to rabbits.

I am going up to Tamworth soon and expect to get a few so I might bring some home this time.

cheers

Folding Old Timer is what used the most

What are you planning to do to the rabbits?

Take them for skins only? or meat?

Spotlight from vehicle?

Walk with spotlight?

Daytime hunt them with either rifle or shotty?

When use to knock them over with spotlight out of ute would hang  them till get couple of pairs. Chopping block on back and meat cleaver. Cut across back and rip off skin in 2 parts.

Then cut off 4 socks and head. Cut slit down the gut and cut ribs open and flick out every thing. Break off tail and split open pelvis and remove last of large intestine. Rinse off in bucket water the into ice slurry then repeat. Should be only 1minute per rabbit.  Use same cleaver to 1/4 rabbits when bagging out at home.

If walking a 3" folder does the job to put small slit to drop out gut bag and intestines. Don't want large hole as grass seed and crap gets into cavity. Hang from belt of hang in tree till walk back same way. Back at ute cleaver and chopping boars again

Thanks

Will be doing all of the above .

Shooting day and night,walking the day and spotlighting from the car and foot at night.You have to maximise your time!!

It is a rabbit property mainly with a few foxes and tons of roos.

I have used my CZ 22LR in the past but this trip I have a 17HMR

so I cant wait to up the ante a bit on the little furry buggers.

I want to bring some meat home. The missus does not want it in the house. Well-I will keep it it my half of the house!

I have a few old folders and some Swiss army ones so I will give them a crack.

I want to try and do the no knife trick and pop the guts out with my hands. Don't know

how that will go. It made me squeamish when I watched it on youtube.

For rabbits I don't really have a 'favourite'. Just whatever I have on me at the time. If you are processing a lot of them at one time, a cleaver or hatchet are handy to remove the heads & feet