In the market for a new pair of binos 10x42 or similar been looking at the meopta meostars as I have a scope and it’s great happy to spend around $1500, anyone got some recommendations for this price tag?

cheer

I have the Meopta's and can not fault them. I dropped them hunting down south two years ago and lost the eye cup and focus dial, sent them down to Winchester (the importers) to get them fixed and they sent me a brand new pair. I had had them for 3 years. Can't complain about their warranty service.

Whistler

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

10 power is ok for boating and hunting at longer ranges but for spotting game in medium to thick bush 8 power wide angle is better . In the bush the more field of view you have the better .

Generally 8 x 40 wide angle binos are small and compact which helps also.  I have never been keen of spending big money on binos as they are easily dropped down cliffs and into rivers etc.  For hunting spend the money on a good quality rifle scope and buy cheaper binos that are less painful to replace .  JMHO.

I got to Disagree to some degree, of course........
JMHO, x8s are For Bow hunting  ,  and x10s are for Hunters who will cover many terrains from dense tight Bush right out into open Fringe country...  
I came to this conclusion when I was 16 or so and broke a pair of 8xs so went and got 10xs and the ability to See animals out Yonder was a lot easier with 10,  not for determining trophy potential at 600m +  but no problem picking up Deer and knowing if it had Horns or not,   When sitting beside a mate with 8x there is quite a difference on every day hunting Faces at that 300-600m distance.   I'm talking Sambars Legs ,  Backline , Neck/head shape or a moving Antler .......

Into the tight stuff, 10x are fine as you are pin pointing movement or scanning into bush looking for that Ear, Leg, Antler or slight movement, perhaps honing in on a sound...

I don't think you would lose much with a 10x , but have the ability to look out Yonder, as this is where Binoculars are pretty handy, you let the eyes do the Walking for you......  talking about Walking though, if you were strictly hunting Sambar/Deer in thick thick Wonnangatta like country, perhaps the 8x might serve you better for some reason, like the Wide angle advantage when scanning ?  

12x at best for Big country,  10x are General every day hunting and 8xs for Bowhunters or those worried about how much bulkier a 10x glass is though in hindsight , with a good harness system, 10x40s would be 100Grams heavier if that and no bulkier..

I know some people who Carry binos all day long, might look into them for a total of 30 minutes a day hunt..............        this is not what they are designed for.

horses for courses though

25 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

You can get along with 10x ok if that is what you want but in thick bush I like 8 power because you get better field of view . 

So an 8 power scope would only be any good on a bow no good on a rifle  is that what you are saying ?  Gee my 308 has worn a 2 to 7 for 30 odd years so it must have been an unworkable power and I did not know it :D .   When you are using them a lot compact size , light weight and good wide field of view make the job easier with less eye strain .  I think the big issue is I advised to spend less money and you   don't like that .

Frig, I totally thought we were discussing BINOs ....................    

I'm the most budget assed Sambar hunter in Australia, don't talk to me about savin a Dollar ;)  or should I say,  ''bout not spending all yer Dollars"

Edited by WhelanLad

I still have to Disagree fully on your last statement though.  Any half assed hunter these days knows how important Good Glass is and Enough of it..  

I still think Anyones First Set of Binos should be 10x   in a budget the can afford,  for me this is around $300-400 mark which Leaves ALOT of good optics in that Class, All of which carry the Traits you desire,  Light weight (majority all weigh the same- as all made with similar structure)  , Field of view will vary as it does with Scopes EG my Burris is VERY tight FOV Compared to a LEupold VX2 ,  the Zeiss Terra is also tight, So they are generally Carried on 4-6 somewhere........    But we are not talking about Scopes , We are talking about the tool that is used to Find/Varify your Target before the Rifle gets picked up, in that case the Target is already identified , so the shooter has approx. 98.7% idea of where the Target is,  having a correct fit Rifle/Scope combo will allow the rifle to be bought up with the Barrel pointing toward the Target, Because you are Ready to shoot it, Not have a look at potential through the scope, Rifle up is the Last hoorah before the Deed is done...
My Cuzin had a bloke stick a rifle up as he had no binos, when they met in the Bush......   he went off but i'd proberly just start throwin lefts and rights if someone does that to me and I see it..

So back to the story,
We use binoculars to find the amimal or look over the animals infront of us,   theres a few catorgories for a hunter to think about ..
is he   Scanning as he stalks?
Is he Glassing across gulleys and moving further up the field as he goes?
is he strictly sitting and waiting for animals to pop out of a Fringe line?  or is he Tight up in a Gulley 'Still' Hunting ?

is he going to be doing ALL of the Above?

PS-    If a bloke hasn't got a variable scope ona Rifle an is chasing Sambar then hes limited and One would hope he has strategic plan in place or a particular strategy which allows the rifle/scope combo to be deemed useful...  

spook and shoot hunters wont use binos, cos the bugger is already runnin away, this is where he may want a RED DOT or 1-5x or 2-7x low scope power to catch up to that fleeing deer...

with me?

WL

• Like 2

I like the tens,they wring just a bit more ID out of them than 7`s-8`s etc.

It is important to have a decent sized objective lens too. Shitty little  10 x 25  are useless at the important starts and ends of the day,the 10x is ok but the little lenses are terrible in the evenings.

I have two pairs of bushnells 10 x 42 and 8x 42. My 8x hang around my neck , much better glass. If I sit up somewhere for awhile I'll pull the 10x out of the pack, with decent light you can see a whole lot more with 10x but as the light fades I slip em back in the pack and go back to my trusty 8x. They'll out see my scope in low light which cost a lot more.

If I had a choice and glass was equal in both I'd go the 10x"s  

Buy the best you can afford. I looked at quality binos for a long time, before settling on a pair of zeiss 10x40B's. very expensive at the time but Ive had 20 years of good use out of them. Sent back to zeiss for repairs/ service. replied that they had been abused! Still out do most binos until they get wet then misting occurs. So Im on the market for a upgrade as well.

It dosnt matter weather you bow hunt or rifle shoot , spot stalk or long distance, a quality pair glass makes it much easier and they out perform other glass at last light or poor light conditions. I narrowed it down to 3 types , kahles, swaro's and it looks like the liecas are what ill settle on. Im going for the range finder option as I want one piece of equipment instead of chopping and changing binos to range finder.

The Geovids in 10x40 with range finder are very nice.

Theres a couple of kahles loden on used guns at the moment, these are also very good.

I went thru plenty of cheap binos before upgrading to the zeiss.

Cheers Mick

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 264 said:

Buy the best you can afford. I looked at quality binos for a long time, before settling on a pair of zeiss 10x40B's. very expensive at the time but Ive had 20 years of good use out of them. Sent back to zeiss for repairs/ service. replied that they had been abused! Still out do most binos until they get wet then misting occurs. So Im on the market for a upgrade as well.

It dosnt matter weather you bow hunt or rifle shoot , spot stalk or long distance, a quality pair glass makes it much easier and they out perform other glass at last light or poor light conditions. I narrowed it down to 3 types , kahles, swaro's and it looks like the liecas are what ill settle on. Im going for the range finder option as I want one piece of equipment instead of chopping and changing binos to range finder.

The Geovids in 10x40 with range finder are very nice.

Theres a couple of kahles loden on used guns at the moment, these are also very good.

I went thru plenty of cheap binos before upgrading to the zeiss.

Cheers Mick

Mick I'm looking for a rangefinder if you want to offload one at a decent price..

WL suggested 10x42's to me when I first started. My budget was sub 400 so I went with Vortex diamondbacks. I struggled to use them as much as I should at first, however now its almost second nature to pick them up and scan every few moments.

15 minutes ago, Onthemark said:

Mick I'm looking for a rangefinder if you want to offload one at a decent price..

WL suggested 10x42's to me when I first started. My budget was sub 400 so I went with Vortex diamondbacks. I struggled to use them as much as I should at first, however now its almost second nature to pick them up and scan every few moments.

I missed an opportunity at a decent stag this year with binos doing the majority of the hard work then change to the range finder single objective and stay still enough after finding the animal to range him. Pretty horrible conditions didn't help. By the time id moved on him and ranged him he was getting past my confidence range........ Better left for another day.

Had a look thru some swaros another hunter we met had and pretty much made my mind up there and then. The better glasss just made spotting animals easier which equates to better plan of attack how to approach them. His glass was so much better than my Zeiss and Pats steiners. Pat purchased a set of leicas when we got back to town. Im saving ATM.

PM sent.. 

cheers Mick

I'm not that good at looking after my binos and am always using them so if I brougjt a $$$ pair I'd be to scared to pull them out in fear I'll wreak them.
Rangefinder option ? Deer are a pretty big target , you can pretty much point and shoot at anything inside 300m, I hold a little high if stretching the 06 legs but never off fur.

For me its a compromise , I'm sure the glass is great in the leading brands and I'd love a paur but cant justify it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk