scopes not ideal for looking at game with, i ONCE used a scope to identify something brown, ended up looking at a kid in a brown raincoat@250m...... i have worn blaze orange since that day!!!!, i have a pair of 8x42 steiners  and love them, they work well for me (((-;

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

What I have noticed on  this forum now is there is many quite wealthy hunters now so the expense is much easier for them and they can afford to replace gear without it hurting .   The person on a more stricter budget has to be more restrained . 
*I would not buy a $1500 set of binos and then have to buy a $500 rifle scope .
*  Good scopes generally  last longer than good binos .

Interesting post and comments

You see things differently to me, that's for sure.....
if I were going to do something along these lines, $1500 + $500  ... =  2k ish,   I   would have New Binos and 3 scopes for 3 other rifles, Not sure Who would see and shoot more Deer though at the end of the day...    

Scopes V Binos is a moot point, Don't look after either, don't expect either to last, look after them I don't see why you wouldn't have Both for just as long as each other..  mechanical failures do happen but generally after a thud is heard on ground.

I do agree with what you're saying though,  Good Binos and a Better Scope..... yeh sweet cool,   Also I understand what you're Saying about how Other Hunters do look into the more Advertised "better" product as some do have a few extra cookies in the jar...  it IS NOT needed in any shape or form,  if someone thinks they can see a Deer easier/Better with a set of Liecas or Swarovski  goggles over a "Budget Class"  Bushnell/Vortex/Leupold Set of Binoculars, then They are indeed the purpose that there is Magazines out on the shelves...........   

Some unfortunaly don't fit in the Gang without all the Speccy brand stuff, you would understand that..

trends come and go,  so does a lot of peoples money...  ;)

• Like 1

Shhesh, I'm budget class[emoji30] .

Slightly off topic. Are the bino harnesses worth it?
For keeping em safe. I never put lens covers on my scope let alone binos.
Most of the time my binos ride on the passenger seat or dash and then around my neck on the strap that came with them.

I have never been hunting with anyone ever so havent had a chance to suss their gear.Like alot things you don't know what you been missing until you get one.

So do you strap up?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, huntsmart said:

Shhesh, I'm budget classemoji30.png .

Slightly off topic. Are the bino harnesses worth it?
For keeping em safe. I never put lens covers on my scope let alone binos.
Most of the time my binos ride on the passenger seat or dash and then around my neck on the strap that came with them.

I have never been hunting with anyone ever so havent had a chance to suss their gear.Like alot things you don't know what you been missing until you get one.

So do you strap up?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah for sure. They stop them banging around so much when you walk, and don't flop around under you when your ducking under branches and whatnot. Also I find they help you hold steadier as you can pull against the elastic.

I use the S4 gear lockdown bino harness and I couldn't hunt without it now. It just keeps your bino's glued to your chest and keeps rain out of the eye cups, if it's absolutely pissing down they still get a little wet but I have it more to just stop them from dangling around. Especially good if your crawling so you can use both hands and not be trying to stop your bino's from hitting things on the ground. 

• Like 1

Quality scopes eat  lesser grade scopes..simple and if one has used both ends of the scale its 

Landcruiser V Lada Niva

Ditto for bino`s

I really have seen blokes prepare to pull the pin because 'you cant see anymore'..yeah right try these then...aaaaaahhhh!

But! ...there is always a but, el cheapo`s are far better than nothing but  the naked eye and as you get older your eyes get poorer hence the big difference in vision with the Landcruiser models.

• Like 1

Vanguard ed 10x42 in a Badlands bino case bag with magnetic lid, best thing i ever got, my UHF and rangefinder fits in there as well.

When i can afford them i will get a pair of Zeiss Victory SF's 10x40

at one point was considering 10x32 for the more compact aspect but if you compare the twilight factor they miss out on a fair bit to the 40's on the most important times for hunting (on some areas)

Zeiss conquest, vortex razor, swaro slc or meostar. I have Zeiss victory Ht 10x42 they're very special as are my friend's swaro el.  Good glass is worth every penny within reason of course. Yes bino harnesses are handy. They'e convenient, keep you binos close to your body not flopping, offer protection and also hold range finders and wind check. 

• Like 1

i thought i'll update, i ended up buying a Swarovski el range 10x42 and WOW what a difference!!

At a rise where i used to struggle to pick a deer standing still at 600+ meters i now can pick them at 900+ the clarity is amazing and the ranging is better than my leupold rangefinder and much easier to hold still.

Almost bought a set of Leicas second hand but decided on the swaros and i'm happy i did, the Leicas  have slightly better glass and better ballistic options in the software.

• Like 2