On 28/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, dazz02 said:

In the market for a new pair of binos 10x42 or similar been looking at the meopta meostars as I have a scope and it’s great happy to spend around $1500, anyone got some recommendations for this price tag?

cheer

Hey mate if you are still in the market and can stretch your budget another couple of hundred I have a set of Swarovski el 10x42 with a s4 gear x harness you can have for $1750

On 28/01/2018 at 9:46 AM, kgi said:

Hey mate if you are still in the market and can stretch your budget another couple of hundred I have a set of Swarovski el 10x42 with a s4 gear x harness you can have for $1750

Hey mate can you send some pics if there still for sale what sort of condition are they in ? 

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:29 AM, 264 said:

Buy the best you can afford. I looked at quality binos for a long time, before settling on a pair of zeiss 10x40B's. very expensive at the time but Ive had 20 years of good use out of them. Sent back to zeiss for repairs/ service. replied that they had been abused! Still out do most binos until they get wet then misting occurs. So Im on the market for a upgrade as well.

It dosnt matter weather you bow hunt or rifle shoot , spot stalk or long distance, a quality pair glass makes it much easier and they out perform other glass at last light or poor light conditions. I narrowed it down to 3 types , kahles, swaro's and it looks like the liecas are what ill settle on. Im going for the range finder option as I want one piece of equipment instead of chopping and changing binos to range finder.

The Geovids in 10x40 with range finder are very nice.

Theres a couple of kahles loden on used guns at the moment, these are also very good.

I went thru plenty of cheap binos before upgrading to the zeiss.

Cheers Mick

The Geovids are top drawer Mick, ive 2 friends that have them and a 3rd that drove off with his hanging onto his tow bar FFS. If my zeiss fail I will be investing in a pai despite the cost.

My opinion for what its worth, is buy the best you can afford and think very carefully about what you will be using them for before deciding on the magnification.

During the day most decent binos will hold their own against top end stuff, Its really about first and last light, you will get up to 5mins extra viewing out of  top end stuff (no different than rifle scopes).

I invested in a pair of Ziess  Dialyt 7x42  35 years ago, at the time it was more than 2 weeks wages, and with 2 small children it was  a tough call. I sacrificed magnification for field of view and never regretted it. They have never failed so in real terms have worked out pretty cheap. If/when I buy another pair. I will probably get Leica Geovids in 10x42 it means I wont have to carry a range finder and my eyes need all the help they can get nowadays. :D.

Great thread, lots of different opinions  on magnification.

binos.jpg

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 6:45 PM, sinbadpaul said:

The Geovids are top drawer Mick, ive 2 friends that have them and a 3rd that drove off with his hanging onto his tow bar FFS. If my zeiss fail I will be investing in a pai despite the cost.

My opinion for what its worth, is buy the best you can afford and think very carefully about what you will be using them for before deciding on the magnification.

During the day most decent binos will hold their own against top end stuff, Its really about first and last light, you will get up to 5mins extra viewing out of  top end stuff (no different than rifle scopes).

I invested in a pair of Ziess  Dialyt 7x42  35 years ago, at the time it was more than 2 weeks wages, and with 2 small children it was  a tough call. I sacrificed magnification for field of view and never regretted it. They have never failed so in real terms have worked out pretty cheap. If/when I buy another pair. I will probably get Leica Geovids in 10x42 it means I wont have to carry a range finder and my eyes need all the help they can get nowadays. :D.

Great thread, lots of different opinions  on magnification.

binos.jpg

Paul I purchased the geo's, well worth the extra coin. Joey hit the roof after finding out how much they were. She said "yes' to a new pair of binos. Just didn't realize how much!

Glassing and range finding this trip was a breeze. Spotted animals 1km+ on the high peaks. Rangefinder option was great with me calling ranges for Chris as it was happening.

Couldn't get harness pack in time so had one made also worked well.Heres a couple of pics cheers Mick

XRStbK.jpg10x42 geovids

76qlGS.jpgGlassing NZtrip

• Like 1

We travel a bit so weight and size is a consideration.i was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Swaros 8x20 opera glasses,they are the same as field glasses with fancier case and sparkles in paint[disco] at $25 I wasn't complaining.Last year I picked up a set of Leica trinovid 10x 25 for a couple of hundred,both are great glasses with amazing light gathering at dusk and dawn equal to a pair of Leopuld 8x42 gold ring 60s vintage.The leos are easier to use as they are larger for my bricky hands.Unfortunatly I was taken bear shooting this year and while riding back on the tray of a 6 wheeler after ours had ripped off a control arm the Leicas popped out of my pocket somewhere on the tundra,looking for a replacement at right price.Both were great glasses,the swaros can be used with sunnies on big advantage.