New Spotlight help

Gents,

After a number of rebuilds and work arounds the Lightforce 240 Blitz has gone to hunting heaven and I need a replacement.

Mine was the old halogen bulb but I'm thinking I should upgrade to LED. I bought some twin cousins a Lightforce 240 Blitz upgraded to HID for their birthday a few years ago. They feel it could be too bright and on some occasions have had to put it away or shine partial light on the animal to keep it still.

So I'm up for recommendations of what people like and don't like and I'm also interested to see if there's any local specials out in your neck of the woods that I might be able to get on to. I haven't found many great deals myself at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

You're right about some lights being too bright. The best fox light I have used was a roof mounted Cibie with a spreader lense. It gave a huge width of beam without the concentrated central spot. They take the cheap HS4 halogen globes too. Horses for courses, ... but it's not always about maximum candlepower.

Cheers,

C

Bug man, i find a lot of the newer led's too white. Its not only about brightness.

Last friday night we had a led spot out on direct comparison with an old halogen lightforce spot. The led didnt throw as far but the white white light also lit up all the dust particles in the air. Reflection from this into the scope made the good old halogen much easier to shoot under.

If you go led look for a warm light not a bright white one. 

Lightforce 240 all the way. I've got 1 and a old blazer light as well. Both good halogen lights but the lightforce is much lighter/brighter.

My mate has a eBay hid light probly around 240mm. It's a pain in the arse every time you turn it on it needs to warm up. So have to either hold it down with it on or shine it around and wait till its bright. Plus it is really bright. 

Another mate brought a rechargeable lightforce 170 led. I havnt seen it working but he likes it. But his spotlighting is done on foot so it works for him not carrying a battery. 

Forget the spotlights...they are a thing of the past....get a thermal....

I love shining the spotty around the paddock. Nothin against thermals but kinda takes the fun out of it for me & so does the cost of a decent unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, CamHutch30-06 said:

I love shining the spotty around the paddock. Nothin against thermals but kinda takes the fun out of it for me & so does the cost of a decent unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...just joshing mate...Im a thermal nutter these days....have just ordered another one, so another flogging from the wife coming up (lol)....The bloody battery was flat on the thermal a week or so ago, forgot to put it on charge,  and i was heading out culling skippys...so broke out the spotty and the 223....went ok with it after a long absence from using it.....But give me thermal any day...

Thanks Gents for the replies,

I've been doing some online research and think I may have decided on an outcome.

I don't think I can go past the halogen Lightforce. Given the flogging I've given it - it's probably worth getting a second one. But I think I'm going to look at one of those Ebay LED jobs as well - just a cheaper version and see how it goes. If I blow $100, I blow a $100. Considering how much other money I spend on this sport $100 doesn't really put a dent in it really.

Anyone know of any Lightforce 240 Blitz deals around at the moment?

Brett

this might sound crappy i bought a $30 Eiger spotlight from Bunnings has red reflector beacon and tube side thats actually why i bought just for emergency ute light as you do in bunnings by more stuff than you have too hahahaha, said had 1km beam,they weren't wrong,took it home stood on the porch lit up the hill like daylight and a very solid beam,i've had 12months now,and it's bullet proof pardon the pun,dropped hot engine oil when had to do emergency oil change,dropped countless times,knocked it over,battery wobbles everywhere and it still goes,so i bought another i thoroughly recommend it,now it's all i use the light force has been relegated as a shed light now.