Back pack recommendations

Hi guys,

I currently have a Slumberjack back back for hiking out in the hills for a few nights hunting, its been a great pack, very diverse and functional.  Overtime i have been a bit harsh on my pack and its starting to get old and i will have to replace it. 

Im not sure what pack i should get, i would buy another slumberjack pack, but i have been looking at others, Moroko 30, eberlestock etc.

Whats everyone else on aushunt using? How do you find your pack? Recommendations?

Thanks, Pat

ff2d4cad-b4d8-407c-b4c9-dc5073287325_small.jpg

Mine is just a hike pack.I use a black wolf McKinley 75L.I have been keen on a moroka for a while but dont get out enough to justify the cost

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been talking about this with a mate who's about to buy a new pack and he likes the moroka packs as well. He's waiting for the shot show in Sydney in June to look at them at the moroka 30 stand to make his mind up. The brand Tenzing also look like they make a good pack but not for a budget. I myself use a Sitka pack most of the time for a day pack it's way to small for what you want though, and my other pack is a macpac glissade which is probably to big, but that's what I have for multiply day stints in the bush. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joe.358win said:

Mine is just a hike pack.I use a black wolf McKinley 75L.I have been keen on a moroka for a while but dont get out enough to justify the cost

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input Joe.358, i like the look of the moroko 30, there gear is normally pretty good from what i can tell, yep abit pricey though.

7 minutes ago, Gibbo 30.06 said:

Been talking about this with a mate who's about to buy a new pack and he likes the moroka packs as well. He's waiting for the shot show in Sydney in June to look at them at the moroka 30 stand to make his mind up. The brand Tenzing also look like they make a good pack but not for a budget. I myself use a Sitka pack most of the time for a day pack it's way to small for what you want though, and my other pack is a macpac glissade which is probably to big, but that's what I have for multiply day stints in the bush. 

Thanks Gibbo, i havent looked at Tenzig packs yet, i will check them out. I would like a pack with a rifle holder/scabbard as well, to help when both hands are needed.  I have as badlands diablo day pack, i am very happy with it, it just not big enough for a couple nights out.

Yer I also have a badlands superday pack. But I ended up buying the smaller Sitka pack now. The badlands pack is really to big to be a day pack and to small for an extended trip pack. But it is well built and nice to carry. 

I've got a markhor 65+10 pack.

I've had it about 12 months and happy with it. I got it for 200 on sale and well worth a look at if it's the style your after. I have camped for 4 nights in the snow and had enough room for all the gear.

T

25 minutes ago, coat said:

I've got a markhor 65+10 pack.

I've had it about 12 months and happy with it. I got it for 200 on sale and well worth a look at if it's the style your after. I have camped for 4 nights in the snow and had enough room for all the gear.

Thanks Coat, i will have a check the markhor packs out ?

most of us are true sambar hunters , so our gear reflects this...   alot of Us are using Black Wolf packs in 75lt but preferably 85ltr  an keeping in mind most of us dont go for more than 3 days -
i only just fit enough stuff in my kit in a 85 litre BW but thats proberly more due to the items i pack..
one thing though is 'Shanes' BW pack is a fair bit more updated than mine and it is a bit more hunter friendly.... for sure.

there is no doubt, better bigger badder more expensive packs out there for the hardcore crew

• Like 1

I think for the price of moroka you're far better off going mystery ranch or kifaru. My mate has one, likes it but has had trouble with things breaking a few times. My brother runs a markhor and loves it, they're a French brand and don't get the exposure they deserve in Aus or the US. Tenzing are another solid brand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WHilly the Lad said:

most of us are true sambar hunters , so our gear reflects this...   alot of Us are using Black Wolf packs in 75lt but preferably 85ltr  an keeping in mind most of us dont go for more than 3 days -
i only just fit enough stuff in my kit in a 85 litre BW but thats proberly more due to the items i pack..
one thing though is 'Shanes' BW pack is a fair bit more updated than mine and it is a bit more hunter friendly.... for sure.

there is no doubt, better bigger badder more expensive packs out there for the hardcore crew

Thanks Whelanlad, generally unless its a mission in NZ i only head out 3 day stints at a time as well. Because i only use it a couple of times a year its hard for me to justify big dollars, but i am prepared to pay for quality, i will try and find a balance.

4 hours ago, GSPhunter said:

I think for the price of moroka you're far better off going mystery ranch or kifaru. My mate has one, likes it but has had trouble with things breaking a few times. My brother runs a markhor and loves it, they're a French brand and don't get the exposure they deserve in Aus or the US. Tenzing are another solid brand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some interesting packs there GSPhunter, i had never seen the mystery ranch packs, they look really good and have some great features too, thankyou for the input.

Cheers Pat

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, Shawnb said:

Have had a markhor Impala for 6 months, smaller than you want but all the sizes I checked out where very well made, very Happy with it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shawnb,

they look like good packs,

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, samburstalker said:

Black wolf sierra 85L is what I use. 

The Black Wolf packs are popular

Edited by advpat
Typo

I just watched a review on the Outdoorsman packs, they look like a great, versatile pack. There website says the optic packs are 6000 cubic inches, which is very generous. They are a bit pricey but shipping was reasonable. 

I like the external frame system and the muley pack that attaches,

Decisions, decisions 

Edited by advpat
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got the Stone Glacier 3300 with xcurve frame. Figure it'll probably outlast me with the quality of it. Didn't come cheap but there's no weight on your shoulders either, unless you've got snake hips.IMG_20180531_202819.jpg.db0b5567b250ac13652e98f546969f35.jpg

• Like 2

Sebs's pack is awesome, I got a good look at it last year and was very impressed, the stitching, light weight (carbon fibre if i remember correctly?) and overall jizz factor was top notch....

If you are a tight arse like me, a cheaper alternative is the eberlestock F1, which is tough as nails (I went with this because I already had a Dragonfly for a long time with all the eberlestock accessories)

It's a bit lower tech than the stone glacier, but the frame is super strong, has a very comfy harness and its covered in molle webbing stuff. I use mine with a super spike duffel zipped up to it, then ditch the duffel when hunting during the day so I've got something to sit on, lean against, shoot over, haul stuff with etc.

Good Luck!

5b10dcbd1d42d_loadedupandreadytogo.jpg.44a4d7fc876d34bf5663a43aecdcbebc.jpg

Edited by Lightweight
  • Like 2