PARD NV007

cumagutsa

1 hour ago, cumagutsa said:

Has anyone on here used one of these nv  scope add ons. If so are they any good for the money?

Cheers Darren

Yes,    No

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hopefull said:

Niteowl

That was shorty and sweet 

What are the issues with the item

1 They are digital

2 They are an "add on"

3 They are rear mounted

4 Only good to 200 yds with inbuilt IR or 300 with "powerful" IR

5 Need a parallax adjusting scope

6 Not recommended for use with a "high grade" scope

Need any more?

1 hour ago, cumagutsa said:

Hey niteowl, do you have a recommendation for a nv outfit for around $1000.

Whenever I start researching my head starts to hurt with all the options and claimed figures these companies are putting out.

Cheers Darren

Yes it is difficult to filter out the garbage that some manufacturers and other "experts" claim, without being able to see for yourself.

First off I would need to know exactly what you wish to achieve, ie what you want to be able to see and what you want to shoot, how far etc. Basically speaking anything around that price will be limited. A problem that comes up with lower end products is that most, if not all, are happy when they start out but become very frustrated that it will not really do enough. Once you have spent your money it is gone and you have that much less to get something better. I am not suggesting that anything under $20,000 is no good. We have been through the whole deal of NV over a lot of years and it is my belief that digital is a long way off being much good. The problem with digital it does not enhance the available light, visible or IR. It is sensitive to what ever level that particular sensor has. This means that to make it really workable you need a truck load of IR. Nocturnal animals CAN SEE infrared light as well as the bright red light emitted from the IR unit itself.

So by now I have probably made it more confusing than ever and not helped you???? Give me some more info.

PS I DO NOT recommend ant "clipon" devices of any kind. 

Firstly thanks for the response niteowl,

I have a small hut here in sa on 270 acres, and my plan is to put a bait (carcass of some kind) out at 80-100metres and sit on my deck at night and pop off some foxes and cats whilst sipping on a scotch. I know there's plenty of feral there as I border a conservation park. B)

Ive just purchased a .17HMR that I want to set up permanently for night vision and im not after huge distances.,

Excuse the pun but I hope this sheds some light on my situation.:)

Cheers Darren

Hmmm, OK I believe that a Photon @ around $1300 would suffice even though I don't generally recommend digital due to the IR requirement. I am not sure about sipping the scotch at the same time though  :(. It is a bit more than you have suggested but anything less would be suspect. Prices are negotiable to a degree but there is not a lot of leeway at this level. 

On 04/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, cumagutsa said:

So a Photon RT 6x50s would be the go on a limited budget considering im not after huge distances and using a small caliber?

I believe this would be your best option. If you are interested I will work you a price and PM you

37 minutes ago, 17dave said:

And to my second question.  Are they any good as a walk around varminter ?

In my opinion they would be OK for short range use. 150 y maybe. They need to be used in open country not in bushy stuff. Having said that I am not a digital fan. I have used digital in a number of forms in the past, and yes it works but it will not compete with thermal.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, cumagutsa said:

Just like to say thanks to niteowl for a very easy transaction, i now have a Photon RT 6x50s on the way.

Cheers Darren

If you use the photon, invest in a decent IR, (nite owl can advise you on different types) the on board IR is pants and eats batteries. A good pair of rechargable AAs will last  a full session with a separate IR.

I have the XT, and for a budget NV it is pretty good.

• Thanks 1