Going into the bush? Essential and recommend equipment clothes and equipment?

l2oBiN

Having recently ventured out 50 meters from a road into the bush only to face swarms of mosquitos and what seems to be a spider on every second bloody branch, It got me thinking, I am going to need to need a couple of essentials if I am going to make it out there.

A couple of cans of insect repellent, snake proof gaitors, long sleeves but very breathable jacket, heavy duty, waterproof hiking boots, a couple of litres of water, binoculars, backpack, gps, first aid kit.. are some things things that come to mind..

However, being quite new to this, it would be great to hear from you, seasoned professionals on what equipment and clothing do you carry/wear when hunting in the Aussie Bush in Summer and/or Winter?

If you could advise of the brands and models of items as well (if this is relevant) to help me hone in on the right buy, that would be great.

Forget the insect repellant,any animal will smell that from a k away.Insects and spiders in the bush is part of life.Snake proof gators,probably overkill,just don't stand on them.Dunny paper is always Good,their is something about fresh air and the bush in the mornings.Carry a lighter to burn the paper off when your finished.Nothing worse than seeing funny paper half way up a hill.GPS is always handy.Head torch.A couple of knives.a couple of old pillow cases to stash meat in and keep the flys off. Small first aid kit.Keep a piece of rubber in your pack to start a fire.You could carry so much crap with everything that is advertised these days,but you are best off keeping it light

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As for clothing
Summer time keep it light,comfortable
Winter,dress in layers. Nothing worse than being to hot or to cold.
As for brands,some are better than others,some are rubbish and some are the bees knees. Good starter kit from Ridgeline will het you out their,I prefer Stoney Creek gear,slightly better quality but also a little more expensive.Swazi is another step up again.SamHuntVic has a good range,and is a member of the site

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Water!!!  It’s heavy but still take more than what you think you’ll use.

EPIRB. GPS/compass/map/pencil.

Torch, camera. CB radio.

Snacks.

Basic first aid kit (enough for a rudimentary patch up until you can get back to your car plus compression bandages for snake bite)

Fire starting stuff - assume wet wood so some rubber bike inner tube is a must. 

Long pants will take care of most snake strikes in Aus but gators will help and will also keep grass seeds out of your boots. 

Mozzies & flies are less of an issue in winter ;)

Knife, small sharpening steel, pillowcases (aka meat bags).

Gun & ammo :)  Remember bolts and magazines! (we all do it once...)

Long clothes (long legs & sleeves). Lightweight in summer, layers in winter. Hat/beenie.

Some rope/cord & something light and waterproof (poncho?). 

After that, pack to your conditions. Eg up north you’d probably want to pack a Lifestraw or something similar. Down south  not so much unless you’re on a multi day hike. 

This is all assuming a full day walk. If you’re just going 50m from the car and sitting then obviously a lot of this can be left in the car so you can grab it if you get lucky ??

Everyone is different - I usually carry too much (accepting that I’ll never use 90% of it - especially the meat bags ?). 

Others carry so little that I think they’re nuts :) Experience and knowledge come into it of course - the aboriginals didn’t carry anything like this and they did pretty well for a bloody long time!

I did a review of my stalking daypack over Christmas and, based on new experience and knowledge, I’ve lightened it a bit - but it’s still got too much in it :) 

• Like 2

Just reading yours duncs, bought back some memories of mine. Many a trip of mine with a battery powered sabre saw in back pack, finally used that and never again, Joe remember the beer I bought in on the backpack hunt, tasted great while reliving your first stag story you got and the load of wood in the bag.

Anyway I've lightened up now and hunt in loose light fitting clothing in all weather. Gps, PLB,knife,rope,pillowcase,water,food, 4 rounds,phone

• Like 1

I now carry a life straw bottle which takes away the need to carry a shit load of water, would be one of my essential things these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As far as  carting water our mountain streams and creeks in winter  are all you need to refill your bottle or drink direct. I know some blokes with C/backs that carry kilos of water and often filled from a town supply,erk! I refill a gatorade type bottle as they reseal very well and wont leak in ya pack.

A couple of short candle snubs of 25mm are good fire helpers as they will give a good flame for 1/2 an hr or so.

Freckle paper is obviously good for the intended purpose  but even better when you need to have a readily discernible marker hung from a bush to mark shot locations etc.

On 15/01/2019 at 9:30 AM, Duncs said:

Snip

Fire starting stuff - assume wet wood so some rubber bike inner tube is a must. 

Snip

OK Dunc’s & Joe, you have my curiosity what is the trick with the rubber for fire starting?  If is better than other means of fire starting?

1 hour ago, ted said:

OK Dunc’s & Joe, you have my curiosity what is the trick with the rubber for fire starting?  If is better than other means of fire starting?

It just lights easily and burns for a long time - helps get a fire started, especially if it’s wet. No magic there :)

3 hours ago, Duncs said:

It just lights easily and burns for a long time - helps get a fire started, especially if it’s wet. No magic there :)

Ok thanks, thought that may be it, I have never considered rubber as a fire starter (I keep cotton wool balls in by pack pack as I found my flint will ignite these pretty easy but then have to have some other dry tinder to ignite with the cotton wool balls to get the fire going, will have a play with some old rubber and may put a bit of this in the pack as well).

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 6:23 PM, l2oBiN said:

Having recently ventured out 50 meters from a road into the bush only to face swarms of mosquitos and what seems to be a spider on every second bloody branch, It got me thinking, I am going to need to need a couple of essentials if I am going to make it out there.

A couple of cans of insect repellent, snake proof gaitors, long sleeves but very breathable jacket, heavy duty, waterproof hiking boots, a couple of litres of water, binoculars, backpack, gps, first aid kit.. are some things things that come to mind..

However, being quite new to this, it would be great to hear from you, seasoned professionals on what equipment and clothing do you carry/wear when hunting in the Aussie Bush in Summer and/or Winter?

If you could advise of the brands and models of items as well (if this is relevant) to help me hone in on the right buy, that would be great.

All what the others have said. Cant go wrong with ridgeline gear IMHO - affordable, well made and silent fabric. Good boots that go hi over your ankles. Try the odourless aeorguard for bugs.