Boat setups for hunting VIC lake country

MLHNT

Gday all.

Starting a discussion on peoples tinny setups for getting up into the lake arms. Dartmouth, Eildon etc.

Theres good data for flat bottom and v bow types. Keen to hear thoughts from both sides. Whats the most popular size/brands that will hold up to a good flogging up the eight mile for example?

20hp gets me there in a 3.7m basic tinny...  not ideal with two blokes gear but for solo in good weather its fine.

If the waves pick up its best to leave it tied up at camp an wait for a oppertunity to get out.

Few other members have bigger better explorer an stabicraft vessels which handle the big waters with ease.

No real race to get in an out of these sorts of camps,  allowance for bad weather should be taken into consideration .

Certainly a race up the arms in the mornings on busy weekends ;)

I hunt a protected lake with a 15 foot jonboat. Other than freak thunderstorms and wild winds once in a while the boat is fine with 1 foot high waves tha usual maximum.  However,  if you are in waters with decent wave action, a Semi V, higher freeboard boat is much better.  You cant go wrong with being over boated. 

As an add on to this I am slowly planning out a Dartmouth trip from NSW probabaly Winter 2020 but maybe (if some things run my way) Spring this year. I have a 5.5 Center console (which i take out to the edge of the continental shelf so not too worried about lake chop) more my questions are- will a larger boat like this be able to poke up the creek arms at dartmouth? and is camping ok just about anywhere or do i need to camp in designated spots. thanks

Paddy

Your boat will be fine just take it easy through the standing timber. You can bush camp pretty well anywhere but the biggest job is finding a flat piece of ground. The lake water level also dictates decent campsites.

John

• Like 1

We had a ally  centre console 5m and also a 5m fibreglass on the one trip in `85  it was from memory,the dam was full and there was sfa open ground where we stayed for 8 days. We pushed up a lot of creeks but as said the water was high and we got  well back.

Take it easy and remember floaters can be about,  some can be semi submerged limbs/logs too.

Edited by balltearer

20 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Thanks fella's , will ask a few more questions when I start firming up the trip.

Someone usually organises an aushunt Dartmouth trip in ~August, maybe a good way to go if your concerned a bit and didn't want to solo it,

• Like 1