Cheap day pack?

After advice and recommendations!

I'm after a cheap but decent day pack.  Something that can carry a few items of clothing, water + snacks, and a few bits and pieces, but have the capacity to carry out a load of meat (working on the positive mindset that I'll get a dear one day!).  Assuming for any over night trips I'll be camping out near the car, and just branching out from there each day.

Anyone used samhuntvic's day pack? (https://samhuntvic.com.au/product/day-pack/) - it looks ok, but I'd love to hear of people's experiences!

Thanks.

I use a black wolf titanium 35l, little bit more expensive ($100) but has lasted me years. Black wolf have a good warranty too. I use mine for hunting and holidaying, mostly hunting though. The rigid frame is handy too along with the air mesh. It doesn't sit up against your back so you get good airflow. The frame also allows you to use the pack as a gun rest. Shot the fallow buck I posted a few weeks back at 140m by resting on the top of the pack in long grass that a bipod wouldn't have elevated you above.

I'm currently in the market for a new multi day pack so in the meantime I've used this for everything up to a three day hunt. You learn to pack light! 

Edit: anzac reminded me to mention, mine has a blaze orange rain cover. 

Edited by GSPhunter

Spika have some great looking day packs. Pro Hunter range. Under $200 I think. Rifle carrying options and Blaze rain cover built in.
I don't have one personally as my 120lt pack straps right down so I take that.b1669b3c89248f92e302a850fed79eba.jpgf75e7cc2aee1c4660c56e794825b9e76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 01/08/2019 at 11:16 AM, Canguro said:

I'm after a cheap but decent day pack.  Something that can carry a few items of clothing, water + snacks, and a few bits and pieces, but have the capacity to carry out a load of meat (working on the positive mindset that I'll get a dear one day!).  Assuming for any over night trips I'll be camping out near the car, and just branching out from there each day.

Anyone used samhuntvic's day pack? (https://samhuntvic.com.au/product/day-pack/) - it looks ok, but I'd love to hear of people's experiences!

Thanks.

I use mine all the time...of course.

Well there's just one left if you are interested.

Grant.

I used a SHV day pack for a while,. It's a soft bag with no inner structure but a handy centre that's open for stashing jumper etc but minimal area to safely store items like range finder knifes etc.

Good for day use with minimal gadgets , a Sanga an some water etc.

Prior to that I used what would effectively be known as a backpack or school backpack, $ cheap as chips from Target etc 

Don't waste time on the hero brands of shit out there,. Keep it simple , take advice on board but remember you got elitist elites on board but also budget diggers ... More often it's the budget diggers bringing home the bacons..

Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Some might laugh at this, kmart have mossy oak 25l day packs $29.
They arent too bad, got a few separate compartments, material seems alright, comes with a hydration bladder if that interests u.

I would consider using one if i didnt have my ridgeline pack.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Canguro said:

I do already have a couple of random backpacks I could try. Interesting to see how they go for a pack out.

Will likely have to cut off zips and replace with paracord to decrease jingling though.

Going too fast if you're jingling. 

Backstraps in the pack and the arse end over your shoulders ?

• Like 1

I’ve got a cheap one from Aussie disposals under $50. About 20-25 litre. Does the trick for me. Room for couple of snacks and a drink plus stuff my jumper in and some back straps if needed. Don’t really need much more. If I’m to far from the Ute to cart meat back I’m not interested in nor chasing meat. 

Brands aside, look for something with wide padded shoulder straps, with both waist and decent chest straps to help even out the load, I have quite a few packs that will either give me a crook back for a week or ones with straps that cut into my shoulders that will give me a splitting headache by lunch time on the first day of a 3 day hunt.  I have the Kmart mossy oak packs but found they were an absolute killer for me after a few hours, I still use one to cart corn to the feeder up the mountain across the road from me but it's only full for 20 minutes. Have a search on how to pack one too, makes a big difference if your doing the hard yards.

The good Old Alice pack is definitely an underated bit of gear too.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

I have been looking for a Day pack as well and found Badlands packs I know there not cheap but they have a lifetime warranty.

has anyone here used one and what are your thoughts I have found them here on.

https://themerchants.com.au/collections/camping-outdoors/products/badlands-sprint-ul-35-litre-pack

sprint_360x.jpg?v=1572343163

I've got that pack, done some big days with it up here in the heat, usually carry extra water than the 3L bladder, extra 2.5L, no issue with comfort

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 10:25 AM, ben338 said:

They arent too bad, got a few separate compartments, material seems alright, comes with a hydration bladder if that interests u.

I certainly wouldn't laugh mate, I've been running one for the last 3 years and its still going strong in every way.

Zips and seams are all good, liner material on the internal pockets hasn't blown out, exterior webbing pockets still intact. Perhaps the biggest eye opener is that the water bladder/valve hasn't developed leaks or splits in spite of the fact that I freeze it 3/4 full so for day one of a hunt i have cold water and the ability to keep small or high risk meat (fish, whole rabbits, deer hearts/livers) cool during the pack out.

Also the zips are tight enough that they dont slip open when I have meat bags cabletied to the molle loops on the front panel.

I can't say enough good things about it. for $30 it a hell of a pack.

Only negative would be that the stiff semi waterproof (actually very waterproof) material its made of can be a bit loud when zipping/unzipping or scraping through thick scrub. 

On 03/08/2019 at 10:25 AM, ben338 said:

I might be wrong on this, but I think they are actually 35L rather than 25.

On 01/08/2019 at 10:46 AM, Canguro said:

Thanks.

If i was looking for another pack id check the caribee pulse or cadet or platoon in 65L To 75L for around $100. Ive got the pulse, light, solid construction, not tried on multi day hunts yet, but good padding & adjustable back setup. The molle straps allow for customisation and adding or subtracting pouches as you need. Another reason for the larger one is that you can strap it down when only doing day hunts, plenty of room if you get lucky and can use it on multi day hunts too. ?

• Like 1

On 07/11/2019 at 9:45 PM, Burners said:

I've got that pack, done some big days with it up here in the heat, usually carry extra water than the 3L bladder, extra 2.5L, no issue with comfort

Thanks Burners,

I ended up buying the pack you can definitely give it a beating, I have taken it out twice and it feels really good so happy with the pack.

• Like 2