Head Lamps

Burners

What everyone using for a head lamp?

I have a couple of Led Lenser's and the straps are cactus, one is a H14 (old model) rechargeable and has been great, its now bolted to a cap.... 

Time for an upgrade, something with good battery life is a must, cheers.

Nowdays I use a couple of different ones, these for smaller jobs.

Get a full night out of a recharge using on the duller output, never really needed the brightest output for more than a few minutes so not sure how long they last on full brightness.

If I might get wet or for bigger jobs I use one of these, adjustable focus & get nearly 2 full nights on fully charged batteries on the lower brightness setting, uses those oversized AA type batteries, a little heavier than the above one though.

LED Lensers are good but not worth the money IMO, the straps not lasting was a major annoyance, especially in summer once they get perspiration on them they didn't seem to last much longer after that.

Over time the wiring fails, breaking internally from constant movement.

Failed straps were an easy fix, buy a cheap junk headlamp from somewhere & use it's strap on the Lenser, the wiring could be fixed also with a bit of messing around but for the prices charged for a Lenser this should be made to last as long as the LED itself I reckon.

• Like 1

Lensers are definitely over priced - they rely on their marketing to get away with it. There are plenty of cheaper and better options out there.

Take a look at the Fenix HP25R. I’ve been using the same one for a a few years now. Multiple brightness modes, spot and spread, red reading light, std 18650 battery that can be easily swapped out or recharged while in the light (or externally obviously). I regularly use it for chainsawing, etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColC said:

Wolf Eyes Dingo rechargeable.

I also have a dingo, great headlamp, also have a Wolfeye not sure which model, they were a contracr left over for one of the mines, awesome lamp its a strip 3 power seting the only annoying thi g is at the back where the batteries are, it has a non stop flashing red light, good for safety but annoying 

I'm a fan of the slightly bigger lights. I have Skilhunt H03's and an Armytek Wizard Pro.

The Skilhunt can be had for about $40-$50 depending on the sale and where you buy it from. The Armytek I bought for about $120 from Armytek in Canada which included a 3400Mah cell during one of their sales. These lights are very bright and have a number of brightness settings. On lower settings that will run for a week of use. I have a lot of 18650 cells I have pulled from old laptop battery packs which is a great way to recycle and save a fair bit of money at the same time.

These lights are also very handy for non headlamp use. The magnetic tailcap is super useful around the car and the Wizard Pro comes with a magnetic charger. There is a Skilhunt H03RC model with magnetic charging but I don't have any experience with that model.

The Armytek Tiara or similar sized light might be a better option for wearing the lamp for a long time (more than a few hours) as it has a smaller battery tube and smaller battery but it's also magnetic charging if you want to use that. Out of the two, The Skilhunt is lighter but the Armytek is a much better light construction wise. I often use the Skilhunt (lighter) in the Armytek headband and have the Armytek in my pocket.

I am interested in getting a smaller lightweight headlamp myself and the Nitecore NU25 seems to be a popular choice over at BLF.

Here's a link to Zeroair's reviews comprehensive reviews of a whole heap of headlamps. He really knows his stuff.

Anyway, let us know which one you end up getting and what you think of it.

Edited by Call Me Hank
Added a link

On 14/09/2019 at 12:56 PM, Shanu said:

LED Lensers are good but not worth the money IMO,

I paid top dollar for a LL and it stuffed up in about a  year. The wires in them are about as thick as a hair and are shit.The components are ordinary imo . I will never have another LL

Although it hasnt the light output  my Aldi $5 bucker is still going strong after 8 years!

I cant see anyone going to  put up $700 for a head torch? (with freight)

https://ledlenser.com.au/collections/headlamps/products/xeo19r

Edited by balltearer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, balltearer said:

I paid top dollar for a LL and it stuffed up in about a  year. The wires in them are about as thick as a hair and are shit.The components are ordinary imo . I will never have another LL

Although it hasnt the light output  my Aldi $5 bucker is still going strong after 8 years!

I cant see anyone going to  put up $700 for a head torch? (with freight)

https://ledlenser.com.au/collections/headlamps/products/xeo19r

Using them every night, putting on/taking off all the time they were exceptional if they lasted 4 or 5 months.  I bought 3 in about 14 months, never again.

I do miss the fully adjustable output brightness at times, but only having a couple of brightness settings doesn't take long to get used to, and the extra beers I can buy with all the saved money soon reassures me I made the right decision.

If it were a case of buy once & get guaranteed free lifetime repairs/replacements if they stuff up I would maybe consider spending that sort of coin for a 19R, but seeing as they wouldn't do anything about the ones I had that only lasted a few months I believe the words 'fools and their money' may be appropriate...

I got one that charges from a USB cable so I can recharge it off the same battery pack I bring for my phone. It was like 15 bucks on Ebay.