Recommendations on a 5-10 rifle safe with ammo divider? + installing in the roof?

l2oBiN

Helps to narrow down the answers by having your State in your profile info.

If in NSW -  https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/131178/Safe_Storage_Level_One_-_FACT_Sheet.pdf

It includes “receptacle should be mounted flush with the floor and/or wall.” This is to help prevent it from being pried loose. The cops also have to be able to access it to determine compliance.

I’d think it’d be a major pain in the arse having it in the roof unless you had easy access into the space (ie not a manhole). As Geoff said, police inspections need to be able to happen too. 

I wonder if the big and constant temperature swings in a roof would have an impact on wooden stocks?  

I wouldn’t worry about the ammo though unless you were going to grab it and shoot it immediately (hot ammo has higher pressures). 

Ok. So will mount on floor in main house. Any recommendations on a safe? There seems to be a few out there? Spika, Lokaway, cmi, hunt pro, etc.?? I don’t think I would bother with a fireproof one, there is no point as they will cook inside anyway.

Also, (I may post this in a separate thread), is there a price comparison site people use to get the best price on rifles, accessories, safes etc?

3 hours ago, l2oBiN said:

Ok. So will mount on floor in main house. Any recommendations on a safe? There seems to be a few out there? Spika, Lokaway, cmi, hunt pro, etc.?? I don’t think I would bother with a fireproof one, there is no point as they will cook inside anyway.

Also, (I may post this in a separate thread), is there a price comparison site people use to get the best price on rifles, accessories, safes etc?

A strange comment re the fireproof safe, "they will cook anyway".  A fireproof safe will prevent that happening! If you really value your firearms a Chubb (or equivalent) fireproof with a high value rating is the way to go. Value rating is what the makers rate the value of the contents that in turn offers varying "theft resistance". They offer REAL protection from theft including a re-locker and a fireproof one is just what it says, Fireproof. You wont need to bolt it down either.

OK problem, cost. I have one that I purchased used, that holds, I think, without going and counting, 22 long arms, most with scopes including 5 with very large thermal sights, so they can be found.

Comment, don't confuse fireproof with fire resistant. 

Most approved safes are worth two squirts of cats water. They can be opened in minutes with little effort. A good safe will cost you regardless. How much do you value your "stuff", insured or otherwise.