Bino pack thingies.

My own opinion of flip up scope covers for stalking is the same opinion of  wearing binos in a pouch on the harness.

It is impossible to compare viewing reaction times with unpouched binos.

I closely watched my mate a couple of weeks ago in the bush. He was using pouched  binos and watching him retrieving them from out of the pouch and the time taken  meant really valuable seconds lost,seconds that can mean life or death of a deer  and a head on the wall in a quick ID.

Yeah,they are good in rain lol  granted but that`s about it! For the  bush stalking  hunter I will never enclose my binos in a pouch...AND the logo on the front is a dead giveawy to a close deer,just like cap logos. Sambar deer will  respond to  logos on caps, clothing and bino pouches.

8 hours ago, balltearer said:

AND the logo on the front is a dead giveawy to a close deer,just like cap logos. Sambar deer will  respond to  logos on caps, clothing and bino pouches.

WTF? What, they get upset if youre not wearing the right brand? Ha ha. 

I use a pouch as it stops my binos from dragging in dirt, grass and bush. If im walking I leave it out of pouch for a quick view. Wouldnt be withoit it.

• Like 3

My pouch saves the old bouncing around of a clearly unusual shape due to length in lanyard required for binos to reach my eyes. Which was both annoying to me and probably attractive of game.

It ties them firm to my body so there is less to get caught up in the scrub I may push thru.

If I'm moving my hand so quickly that the added time of about 0.6secs is too much, then the deer has seen my hand fly abruptly at warp speed already. I am quite comfy with a steady controlled 2 second movement perhaps being 2.5 due to pouch.

Each to thier own but I certainly wouldn't be without mine after hunting about 8 years without one and now only a year or so with it. I'm yet to see a con in them except it's an extra bit of gear to throw in the gear bag.

I'd hazard a guess the mate perhaps wasn't familiar with the gear if he seemed to be fumbling about so badly? Of course each to thier own thou, as we won't all like everything.

Flip up covers thou. For me they are a annoyance, yes. I would never see a need for them. If I'm hunting in the rain then sometimes I opt for my neoprene scope cover which is removed as soon as rain stops.

• Like 2

The other thing I'd add is I like the pouch that opens away from me and has magnetic close - no fumbling with hooks and shit. My pouch opening can be left open for easy in and out. Some pouches open towards you and access is more difficult - in fact, I don't know why any designer thought that is a good idea.

As you said camoman - each to their own, what ever works for the individual hunter.

47 minutes ago, Dave9.3x62 said:

The other thing I'd add is I like the pouch that opens away from me and has magnetic close - no fumbling with hooks and shit

Yeah that's how mine works. I often leave the small cover open if I am in a good area moving slowly and glassing alot.

I could imagine one that opened toward, or one with hooks/clips instead of the magnetic close, would be a pain in the arse.

11 hours ago, Camoman said:

Yeah that's how mine works. I often leave the small cover open if I am in a good area moving slowly and glassing alot.

I could imagine one that opened toward, or one with hooks/clips instead of the magnetic close, would be a pain in the arse.

i absolutely rate bino chest rig pack thingos' as well compared to a bino bra which I used for a long time previously. They keep your glass super protected/clean, stop the binos moving while walking, they are quieter (sometime the binos would click a little on anything on your pack or shirt zippers etc, give really quick, quiet access, there's no tension from the elastic while using them and when you are taking a pack on and off there's no need to thread chest straps around elastic.  The magnet is a little annoying sometimes when using a compass (mine has 2 magnets that affect a magnet out at to least 300mm, but other than that, the advantages far outweigh the negatives IMO. Highly rate the eberlestock scout bino holder rig thing, it' been great and a few of my mates with other brands really like it because of it's low profile and simple design (no extra pouches, just a little PALS webbing on the back and sides that i hook a micro compass, pocket knife and sometimes my rangefinder when in full stalk mode....

• Like 2