Sleeping Bag Advice

Croan Choille

Hi all, I'm setting up for backpack hunting starting in autumn this year and need some advice on warm and compact sleeping bags, preferably that won't break the bank. I have a DD Hammock set-up, but will be camping in alpine areas, so I will need a very warm bag. Does anyone have any idea of what I should look for? 

• Like 1

I have brought cheap bags before and have frozen my butt off. I just bit the bullet and brought Duck down bag. Mont Zodiak 700 from Bogong over Christmas. Good for -10 comfortable -23 Extreme. Was on special for $399. Very light and compact also. Looking forward to testing it out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry cant help with bag as mine is about 8 years old and working fine so haven't looked for that long!!

But I've tried the hammock thing. Summer awesome, winter it was no good for me. The cold air got under me and given the bag was compressed thin to cold circulating air then there was no insulating effect.

Have u talked to someone who has successfully done the hammock in cold so they can add details regards suitable sleep matt too?

Still reckon you will be looking at 300-400 hard earned for a bag on "sale".  You will have it for years and break the cost down and might be the cheap part of the hunt

I was at the shops last week looking. Who makes a xxl down bag?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Camoman said:

Have u talked to someone who has successfully done the hammock in cold so they can add details regards suitable sleep matt too?

Unfortunately no. I've been living in Melbourne since 2005 and haven't been around people who do much more than a bushwalk or a weekend camp next to their car. I've done a lot of internet research, and people have positive experiences (although I think there's a bit of a cult mentality with some of the hammock camping crowd), so I'd ask guys who have experience with Australian conditions. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dingo.375 said:

this for winter Mick?
those reactors are bliss

Yeah for winter. Going again in April and Ballot block in May this year.

3 hours ago, samburstalker said:

Still reckon you will be looking at 300-400 hard earned for a bag on "sale".  You will have it for years and break the cost down and might be the cheap part of the hunt

This. My bag was $800 original retail but bought for half that on an end of line clearance. 

I've abused the shit out of it but its still got enough life in it for a winter or two.

I already have a down sleeping bag, which has kept me warm on some very cold nights.  However i wanted a  lighter bag as the one i have is sometimes overkill. I recently seen this Recon bags come up sale, so i brought one ($160?). Seems ok but will need some cold nights to test it out

20200121_191459.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to suggest the Recon bags too.  They’re bloody awesome!  Especially if you’re tall (over 6’).

The hammock thing is just dumb for winter I reckon.  All that continuous cold air underneath you.  Silliness.  But I haven’t tried it so just IMHO :)  I don’t think my back could handle it even in the warm weather.

• Like 1

Been researching online today, bloody hard to find a bag if your over 2m tall. 

Exped make a bag for us tall people upto 2.1m, exped comfort -10, down bag and weighs in just under 1.6kg. Comes at just under $600 roonies.

Looking into it Rated at -5c, -10c, and -17c something like that

Ok, so I've narrowed it down to two options; I'm a bit limited in my budget, and with the the vague possibility that Wonnangatta might still happen, I think it's time to bite the bullet.

So I'm thinking either this one:https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sleeping-bags/down/cocoon/ or this one:https://www.snowys.com.au/sawtooth-sleeping-bag-2-c?AcceptsCookies=yes with a reactor liner. I figure either one will do the job, but the Marmot is cheaper, and might be a bit more versatile for warmer weather. It's slightly heavier though for doing backpack trips.

Any thoughts?

Are you still going to use them with your hammock?, you will need a good under quilt if you are. i think its the loft that makes the bag so get the most you can afford and you can always use a liner and sleep in fleece or thermals to help beef it up.

The Mamott has a serious taper to it. I’d struggle with that as I like to have area for my feet and legs to move around. Have you had a chance to get into one?

Have you checked out the Recon bags? Definitely worth a look