Sleeping Bag Advice

Croan Choille

1 hour ago, SWIZ said:

Are you still going to use them with your hammock?, you will need a good under quilt if you are. i think its the loft that makes the bag so get the most you can afford and you can always use a liner and sleep in fleece or thermals to help beef it up.

I've got a underquilt on the way (it's taken a couple of weeks already, and seems to be doing a european tour) which is rated down to -5c. I'll be testing it out in my backyard before I commit to a bush adventure. 

1 hour ago, Duncs said:

The Mamott has a serious taper to it. I’d struggle with that as I like to have area for my feet and legs to move around. Have you had a chance to get into one?

Have you checked out the Recon bags? Definitely worth a look

Yeah, it does seem pretty extreme. I had a look at the Recon bags, but they weren't that cheap, but I just looked now and they're on special again...

1 hour ago, Croan Choille said:

I've got a underquilt on the way (it's taken a couple of weeks already, and seems to be doing a european tour) which is rated down to -5c. I'll be testing it out in my backyard before I commit to a bush adventure. 

i bought a cheap under blanket of ebay for my hennesy hammock, i used it over summer without it and woke up cold in the middle of the night, so i chucked it on and made a bit of difference but not a whole lot. a proper under quilt would be the way to go.

I thought being summer i would be fine with just the hammock but i was wrong.

I'm looking at updating my sleeping bag for backpack hunts atm, ive been looking at the stoney creek black stag 800 or the sea to summit spark 3. ill be using a tent or bivvy with a fly/shelter

On 21/01/2020 at 7:21 PM, advpat said:

I already have a down sleeping bag, which has kept me warm on some very cold nights.  However i wanted a  lighter bag as the one i have is sometimes overkill. I recently seen this Recon bags come up sale, so i brought one ($160?). Seems ok but will need some cold nights to test it out

20200121_191459.jpg

Are these still available somewhere? Edit to say i searched an they are available. but at aroun $200-$350 depending.
sing out if anyone sees any sales on these

whats been ya thoughts so far Pat?

cheers-

Edited by Dingo.375

1 hour ago, SWIZ said:

i bought a cheap under blanket of ebay for my hennesy hammock, i used it over summer without it and woke up cold in the middle of the night, so i chucked it on and made a bit of difference but not a whole lot. a proper under quilt would be the way to go.

I thought being summer i would be fine with just the hammock but i was wrong.

I'm looking at updating my sleeping bag for backpack hunts atm, ive been looking at the stoney creek black stag 800 or the sea to summit spark 3. ill be using a tent or bivvy with a fly/shelter

I got the DD Hammocks under quilt, so it clips straight on. I've checked heaps of reviews and it seems to be the business. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dingo.375 said:

Are these still available somewhere? Edit to say i searched an they are available. but at aroun $200-$350 depending.
sing out if anyone sees any sales on these

whats been ya thoughts so far Pat?

cheers-

I havent had a chance to try the sleeping bag out yet. With the current isolation restrictions, i have not been out and about and It hasnt been quite cold enough to give it a proper rating yet.

I have tried the fit, im 6'2 and the bag fitted ok, the insulation felt like it would be sufficient, but I need to try it on cold overnighter to be sure.

I will keep you posted when i get a chance

Pat

• Thanks 1

Tier Gear in Tassie make quilts and for a hammock , you need and under quilt and a top quilt to be comfortable.

You can use the quilts if tent camping too, they’re light and versatile , having both covers it all imo

Cheers

Waz

I got my DD under blanket (rated to -5) in the mail today... It's almost been through more countries than I have (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Mainland US, and Hawaii!). Tried it out in the backyard, after a couple of minutes I could feel the warmth underneath me. I also pulled the pin on the One Planet Cocoon (-11 degrees). I figured that with the current situation, I'd rather buy Australian made, and I'm going to be picking it up from the factory on Tuesday afternoon. I'm not sure who said it, but "buy once, cry once" is my philosophy on this one.  Hopefully restrictions get lifted soon, so I can make use of this stuff, otherwise I'll be posting pictures of my new summer hunting gear before we get out there!

20200501_154830.jpg