Vortex rangefinder

Hey ya'll. I've been in the market for a rangefinder for a hell of a long time now, I'm keen on the vortex impact 850 and wondering if any of you have had personal experiences with them and your thoughts on it? I've always been interested in the redfield 650a as I have redfield scopes and love them, so if you have experience with them too I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

No experience with those brands, but keep in mind, generally speaking, Ive found the effective range is usually about 50% of what its rated to on the box. Then that can change if atmos conditions arent perfect. 

Yeah I read that earlier today. Vortex say it can range deer at 400 yards, around about 370 metres or something. That is more than enough for the type of hunting I'll be doing.

hey i have redfield raider?  think its a 600 or somethin, i can read outto about 500m,  which is a bit further than i can shoot, so works for me,   i personally dont care ifthe deer is 800 or 1017 m away,  i just wanna now its under 300m  an if not, how far out til it is.

How is it for reliability, has it let you down at all? I can't find much over the net on the redfield 650a.. Heaps of shït on YouTube about the vortex though. That's what I want it for too, I've discovered I'm pretty useless at guessing distances

3 minutes ago, billygoat-gruff said:

How is it for reliability, has it let you down at all? I can't find much over the net on the redfield 650a.. Heaps of shït on YouTube about the vortex though. That's what I want it for too, I've discovered I'm pretty useless at guessing distances

nah shes sweet,  i had a older bushnell previously an it was old an big an didnt work very well past 400.       mosly just a brick compared to new ones.

yeh nah redfields sweet , been to nz an served me very well there. dont use it much typically, but when needed , so far its been very good.    
you obviously dont try pick up the deer at xxx meters, but hit a tree or clifff face or rock at a similiar distance near the animal and beats guessing.

if vortex in ya budget, they seem to be covering the basics well for scopes, binos and rangeys....  should be fairly right

Yeah no worries, cheers mate.
The vortex isn't much more than the redfield. They're going for 350 at magnum sports, seems they have a decent warranty as well.

• Like 1

Out of the options you have listed, I would definitely go for the Vortex. There are many better units on the market, but it doesnt sound like you need any of the higher end models. Redfield is a division of Leupold, so their rangefinder is probably not bad, but the Vortex warranty is really great so that would be the deciding factor for me.

No one has the vortex in stock, I have put one on backorder. Apparently a month or two [emoji1696]

1 hour ago, billygoat-gruff said:

No one has the vortex in stock, I have put one on backorder. Apparently a month or two emoji1696.png

aw yeah , spewin,  i thoght i seen a few rangeys on used gunseys and othr sites worth chasen up.  most of the time people just upgrade so sell off

I was checking those sites, but was a bit sceptical going 2nd hand for something electronic.

The warranty on Vortex stuff can't be beat. I have a scope and binos from them that I'm very happy with. 
What binos do you have? They're next on the list [emoji23]

Believe it or not, I have that exact page bookmarked [emoji23] don't think I want that harness though. Got my eyes on the hunters element harness pouch.

13 hours ago, Croan Choille said:

G'day

Did you buy from that site? I know someone who is just getting into hunting and these would be just the shot for him but I am not too keen on recommending random sale sites. I like my diamondbacks, I have been using them for well over a decade now and they are still doing what I bought them for?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jindydiver said:

G'day

Did you buy from that site? I know someone who is just getting into hunting and these would be just the shot for him but I am not too keen on recommending random sale sites. I like my diamondbacks, I have been using them for well over a decade now and they are still doing what I bought them for?

Yes mate, I bought them a couple of months ago, best price I could find online, and no issues. Overnight delivery, even though I don't live in a metro area as well!