Camo

What's the deal with this Sitka stuff eBay tries to sell me? It's very expensive. All these digital patterns.

What camo do you guys recommend?

I was thinking of Realtree. You might say that there's not enough green on it and it's made for American autumn/fall seasons, but I've noticed most of the bush, if it's green, is too thick to walk through. Open areas generally have trees that are green above head height and are brown at walking height, maybe with some green up to calf length if there's some ground cover growing.

I don't really want to be wearing military stuff. 

So is Realtree a go-er? My research says yes. Especially in summer, everything turns brown. 

In thick bush I could be invisible in anything.

I was thinking realtree xtra. 

Advice?

Are you new to hunting?

You in Australia? as see references a fair bit in your posts about American style hunting.

If starting out, using solid greens and dark colours as see the English and Euros hunting in will do as long as in a non shiny material and has no sports wash or colour bright additive when you wash. The animals will see your movement as you will be glowing. If cold a red flanno blends in and if Qld or summer hunting a stripped dark shirt will do

If going be hunting likes of deer and goat hang your new clothes on clothes line for week and let the sunlight break down the brightness or colour enhances and then I only wash with pure soap like Lux flakes.

Having contrast and no straight lines in your clothing, backpack, rifle,sling or bow and arrows is what aiming for. I only have one set of camo and rarely where it.

At start better off spending more on your binos than few hundred dollars on camo. A set of camo gloves and something to contrast face and neck area would spend money on or grow a beard

Edited by matt75
  • Like 2

I'm not new to hunting, but I wouldn't say I had advanced knowledge of it.

I have been able to close to within two metres of a giant buck with 6 even tines in each antler. I have no idea what type of deer this was, it wasn't a Rusa or a Fallow, this was near the Royal National Park.

So I'm confident about my abilities. 

I just wear dark natural tones. 

But I was thinking if I wear hunting camo it would add to the experience, some atmosphere. 

3 hours ago, Duncs said:

If you're getting within 2m of a giant buck, what more atmosphere are you looking for???  That's an enormous achievement which most of us only dream of!

haha.
to be fair though for many years i didnt feel like i was hunting without Camo clothing...   like Riding motorbike without Goggles , felt so different,  now days the Camo thing has chilled a bit but i almost have to be wearing (fingerless) gloves and have Binoculars round my neck or im not hunting ...  so i understand the atmosphere thing for sure.

to be succesful you really have to blend in and be apart of it, mind completely on what your doing down to each step , (again to be succesful in stalking) because without being critical and alert as a 'hunter' 'stalking' around for 'prey'  then people are literally just armed bush walking and digging really deep into the Luck-Hope Well and will not get the full atmosphere with what 'the hunt' is all about..  its those final moments %75 and %25 the journey to get there in that particular short term since the goal was set out to 'go and hunt a deer'.

im itching to camo up an walk around like a bush...  big brudda is watching

4 hours ago, Duncs said:

If you're getting within 2m of a giant buck, what more atmosphere are you looking for???  That's an enormous achievement which most of us only dream of!

I think it was an escaped pet. When aware of me it had no fear. It was well fed and all. It didn't make sense to me either. I thought it was gonna attack me but it didn't. 

• Like 1

Seriously though, this deer, perfect symmetry six points on each side, 12pt deer.

Looked like something out of a drawing, it was that perfect. The kind of wall mount that would go in a magazine advertisement for some hunting related product. 

I'd be looking for a pattern that breaks up your outline, a lot of those fancy patterns look good in the shop or walking down the street if that's your thing but you can just turn into one big blob out in the bush and the deer will spot your human upright shape still.
If you scan a few posts on AH you will notice some take deer wearing whatever. Its more about slowing your movements and to be aware of the situation your in.
If you do stop to glass, try and be behind something or slowly crouch down,etc.

I wear an asat 3d top, hood/vale and gloves .

hs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A lot of the modern materials shine and reflect light,if not into  camo dull fleece greens are excellent also.

I see the ref to yakka workwear,being cotton it is entirely unsuitable for winter alpine hunting in Vic. Cotton is a big no no.

Edited by balltearer
  • Like 1

yep, lets all get in NASA designed space suits for hunting, particularly if hunting in winter ...  ?

I reckon most people overthink this. Just wear whatever you have and whatever keeps you warm or cool, depending on the outside elements.