Reticle range finder

Does anyone use binoculars with a reticle for long distance range finding?

Eg, say a deer is on average 2m tall, using the markings on the glass, would you line up the 2m marking with the deer and estimate the deer is x distance away?

Or do you just use electronics?

I don't trust electronics. Can't the shot distance between 4 and 500m be something like 40cm?

Ranging reticles are slow (because maths), imprecise and far less reliable than a modern rangefinder. In the military world, you need a back up for when the electronics fail and you and your squad's like depend on it, but even in the military they do not rely much on ranging with reticles. 

A recent model range finder will be far better than any ranging reticle option you will find.

• Like 1

Every cartridge starts to rainbow after 400m but it is predictable for drop.

It is the wind that will catch you more so. Especially in the hills where can vary in strength and direction.

Vortex do a reasonable bino with rangefinder inbuilt. Would be $2k with exchange rate if can't get old stock. Built into binos is good as only adds 200grams compared to separate unit.  Only had loan for 2 trips and returned them to my mate. Nice but not my thing.

I had Loopy handheld for 18months then sold it as everything was sub 300m. Just aim dead on for most shots and rare shot aimed below the backline. Thats when it looked real small with eye so roughly 300m.

Edited by matt75

Yeah that's what got me thinking.

I was seeing posts here about the usable distance on the rangefinders, and thought, why not use a reticle?

You can get those ones that have a diagonal line in them, set for 1.5m, and where your object fills the 1.5m space, the tick marks correspond with the distance. 

No maths involved. 

Edited by mickey