Big Business Back Packs.

15 hours ago, Hosery said:

May I ask what in the hell you need to tie to the outside of a 90l pack that you need straps left right and centre for? I feel if you can’t fit it in side the pack it should be left at home with that sort of capacity. 
Each to their own tho. 

For me at least almost every hunt I spend sometime with the rifle strapped to pack. 

Then a head too if I am lucky.

Or in stormy weather my rain jacket so I can just grab it easy as when needed. 

They do come in very hand imo.

On 02/04/2021 at 7:00 PM, samburstalker said:

Anyone used a "Tatonka Bison" 90L pack? The load system looks good however I like straps, this seems it doesn't have much, i reckon that would be a issue that you can't tie from the pack

I considered the the Bison, looks great but no load sling, bit heavy I think too....

On 03/04/2021 at 9:07 PM, Hosery said:

Na I hadn’t considered it. Done a truck load of research mostly on the American forums etc. The eberlestock honestly didn’t get the best reviews so crossed it out. I don’t really like the idea of having to buy this frame than buy this pack than this lid than this add on etc. prefer just to get it all in 1 system that has been thought out already. 

Did a little googling over the weekend between the rain and modifying my LC76 drawer system and came to the same conclusion. Eberlestock backpacks is getting hammered for backpacks that does not fit probably and straps with limited adjustment.

Few bad customer services comments as well.

I am glad I bought the cheap ass MOLLE eBay special. I just want a frame which allow for strap adjustment and custom bags fitments to the frame. The idea is to carry everything to camp and then unstrap and use the MOLLE frame with strap on H2O bag as day hunting pack. 

Been issues with the MOLLE frame but all fixable with some brains and later models.

Received my cheap MOLLE packs $183.50 ($61.75 plus $30 postage per pack) delivered from USA to Sunshine Coast

I expected them to arrive after the 12 April

First impression is that the belt and back straps are not that bad. Will load it up and see.

It came with two sizeable side pouches, one small pouch and some sort of a small open top bag and a front panel covering the frame between the two side pouches. A medium dry bag for gear will fit nicely between the side pouches and between the frame and front panel.

I’ll add a webbing strap like the exo to carry meat.

Like all packs, carrying a load will proof if it works or not.

• Like 1

Did a couple of hours hiking with the bag around Noosa Heads NP this weekend.

Sits well, need a couple of adjustments but will be able to balance it.

Looking to add a lightweight storage bag which I can leave at base camp.

Eberlestock Spike duffel looks great. Found a sale in Canada for them and waiting for reply before I order and pay.

Otherwise 4wd Supercentre BBQ bag is the correct size, few modifications to the carry handle to change them to tension straps may work. Worth a try at $34/ea.

• Like 2

End of buy the 4wd Supercentre 40L duffel bag. Cheap and for once the lightweight material from 4wd Supercentre made sense. My views is that I can strap any bag to a frame as long as it is well secure. Secure the meat to the frame and then secure the bag to the frame. Will add a waterproof cover to cover the whole bag.

I also considered their cheap wheel bin bag. Perfect size, shaped to fit vertical and have strong straps. The delux one is PVC so heavier and have side pockets. I prefer the light cheap one. 

I may end up buying one to to test it.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 8:15 AM, Dave9.3x62 said:

Ive not much experience backpack hunting either. I just bought a Kuiu pro 6000. Did an overnighter last week, packed out a boned out fallow doe - very happy with the pack. Load carrier work very well, very secure. Might have to do a hunt report soon.

Cheers,

Dave

Have you used this pack again, Any photos how the meat sat?

11 minutes ago, samburstalker said:

Have you used this pack again, Any photos how the meat sat?

Nah, not been hunting since the last report. I have been doing some training hikes with sand bags in the pack - around 28kg all up. Longest just recently 7.5km. I found its taken a few hikes to work the pack out and adjust it - particularly when the weight comes on. I think I got it sorted now.

Didnt take any photos of the pack loaded up - shoulda - do it next time. The meat is wedged between the carbon frame plate and the back of the pack. It sits really well as 2x  compression straps each side from back to front of pack, 2 x on the bottom and pulls together really well so very little movement or over balance of the load.

• Thanks 1

I have a EXO 4800. Game changer for me.

I have only done half a dozen trips with it packing 18kg + rifle and it is almost faultless. I have yet to pack any meat yet.

I might do a proper review after the gatta trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They say curiosity kill the cat, that is way I am a dead man walking

Feedback on my ex usmc molle 2 supercheap custom backpack. One of my main concerns was that the harness had limited adjustment which is normally for the basic curve external frame backpack. To counter that, the belt is adjustable in height. There are three settings. Being South African, I am above average, but not tall, so I placed the belt at the max which works well. Weight on hips and curve at back, not a perfect fit, but good enough for what I want. 

Made three similar setup, small difference but the basis are the same. All three have a meat strap against frame, with second straps for bags. Water bladder are in separate bag attached to either the frame or the carry bag.