Big Business Back Packs.

Anyone have experience other the Eberlestock F1 mainframe to backpack for 4-6 days and haul meat out?

Will add batwings and a small storage module bag.

Their are two dealers in Victoria, one is cheaper than the other one, but still cheaper to buy than to import except if there is a sale overseas.

I am waiting for Black Friday (2021) sale since the Eberlestock are great but expensive.

Been googling to find something similar. I remember that the army had special backpacks to haul the heavier stuff around.

So I’ve been searching the excess army stuff and found this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rigid-Frame-Equipment-Backpack-Manpack-Rucksack-/124215100032?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I bought two. 

They are cheap and you can see the harness need to be replace for a better fit, but at that price I can easily replace the harness with a better one.

Most brands seek ‘spare parts’ so I will buy a harness and replace it.

May add the Eberlestock large belt and harness to it.

Be interested to hear what you think once it arrives. 

I remember when the no-frame trend started about 40 years ago. So it’s interesting to see things turn back again. I reckon the real answer is horses for courses - one is good in some situations and the other is better in different scenarios. But I’m no expert. 

I wonder if the frames have come back because the no-frame packs weren’t adjusted or fitted properly in most situations?  Some designs can get pretty involved!  I think my first one had aluminium rods running vertically in it that were supposed to be moulded to your back - I never worked out how that was supposed to actually happen!

I should go into a shop that has both and try them side by side with some weight in them I guess. 

• Thanks 1

They will arrive 12 April

i did a quick search and most backpacks sell parts, so will wait till they are here and then replace the hip belt.

My first backpack was an external frame, heavy but it worked. Had it for 5 years.

I then change to an internal frame. Better backpack for backpack hiking.

Adjustable back straps and padding. I did most hiking trails at least twice in South Africa, no expert but I know what works for me. Theses days the weight advantage of internal frames and better adjustable padding are match by external frame packs.

Best to fit, load and walk with them. 

These ones were cheap, if it does not work, I can still use the four packets are on a Eberlestock F1 mainframe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Duncs said:

- one is good in some situations and the other is better in different scenarios. But I’m no expert. 

Absolutely loving my exo. The frame stiffness and way it sits is nothing like I had experienced.

Except. One downfall I have found thus far. If I drop for a prone shot I must take it off. In prone, lifting my head is restricted as the back of my head hits the frame!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you find the exo with carrying meat out between the frame and pack.

How tight do you have to pull the straps around the meat to prevent gravity pulling the pack down?

I have no experience in backpack hunting but understand packing hiking backpacks where loading of the load will make it an enjoyable or a bitch of a walk.

My understanding is that if you carry a Sambar leg and backpack that you need to strap the leg as best as possible to the hip belt to transfer the load to the hips. If you just strap it to the frame, gravity will eventually pull it down which will put additional load on the shoulder harness and you I’ll have back pain soon.

I could basically unstrap my shoulder harness on my internal frame backpack and only carry my backpack on my hip belt, given I packed it correctly and it is a flat walk. My shoulder harness was there to prevent gravity from playing up when walking on uneven ground. That is the main reason why I like the Eberlestock F1 frame or Warhammer with the external frame and return loop. As long as the hip belt and the return frame is well secure you can place the load on it and gravity will not pull it further.

You can achieve the same with a good load spreading strap cross connection when the leg is between the frame and backpack.

Anyway, just curious if I am on the correct track with backpack hunting.

Ive not much experience backpack hunting either. I just bought a Kuiu pro 6000. Did an overnighter last week, packed out a boned out fallow doe - very happy with the pack. Load carrier work very well, very secure. Might have to do a hunt report soon.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PWE76 said:

How do you find the exo with carrying meat out between the frame and pack.

How tight do you have to pull the straps around the meat to prevent gravity pulling the pack down?

I have not yet carried a load over vast distances. A 1 km hike out so far would be about it. Over that distance and with my daypack standard load it has performed flawlessly.

Per the pic previous page in thread with sambar legs stuffed in there, that is the exo 3200 on frame. Front leg, rear leg, straps 50+ kg load in full. The pack is secured with those side incline straps, and if I have the top flap on (can swap it from my 4800) then that helps a bit too. You yank em tight and it stays there. For me there has been no slip, no need for re-adjustment. Remains tight to body and the meat load with pack together really do act as one firmly held unit. The pack certainly hasn't slopped about behind the meat.

Unfortunately cannot comment on the 4800 in full multi-night setup then with meat added. However given my own limits, I doubt I would place anymore than a leg and the straps in there if I had to carry more than a few km. If further and where I really wanted all the meat, then I would empty the pack and do a few runs using both the shelf and the bag itself. I can say for sure I will be the limiting factor in performance, not the pack.

Have a look at the crib accessory. This turns it into a dedicated hauler. It can be used with bag too, for extra support below. Personal preference on that really - I haven't bought it though I may consider. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAs2VykCwk0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, great info

The crib load shelf attachment is a great item since it works against gravity.

You can position the load and it will stay there.

I’ll see how my cheap ex army pack go with a couple of adjustment, like a crib load shelf and better hip belt.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 9:48 PM, Camoman said:

Absolutely loving my exo. The frame stiffness and way it sits is nothing like I had experienced.

Except. One downfall I have found thus far. If I drop for a prone shot I must take it off. In prone, lifting my head is restricted as the back of my head hits the frame!!

I just watched a few of the Exo vids. I might be telling you how to suck eggs here but he mentions exactly that in one vid. If you’ve got your frame set up in “long” mode, maybe you can swap it to “short” and it’ll give you the head room you need?  It takes or adds 35-40mm to the length of the frame. 

• Like 1

Yeah I had read but also have not tried.

In the initial setup guide my body suited the frame in long. So figured I'd stick with that.

17 hours ago, Dave9.3x62 said:

EEffing heavy.....not sure my legs could do that!

It hurt. Alot. ?

Definitelt not sustainable but was a very good test of the pack!

Edited by Camoman
  • Like 2

On 02/04/2021 at 7:30 PM, samburstalker said:

Anyone used a "Tatonka Bison" 90L pack? The load system looks good however I like straps, this seems it doesn't have much, i reckon that would be a issue that you can't tie from the pack

I’ve sussed them on line that’s all. Not for me. I want a external load shelf in a pack. I’ve basically settled on a seek outside just need to pull the trigger on 1. 

May I ask what in the hell you need to tie to the outside of a 90l pack that you need straps left right and centre for? I feel if you can’t fit it in side the pack it should be left at home with that sort of capacity. 
Each to their own tho. 

43 minutes ago, Hosery said:

I’ve sussed them on line that’s all. Not for me. I want a external load shelf in a pack. I’ve basically settled on a seek outside just need to pull the trigger on 1. 

Did you consider the Eberlestock Mainframe F1 with an attached bag to be similar to the Seek Outside Revolution Suspension Pack Frame

1 hour ago, PWE76 said:

Did you consider the Eberlestock Mainframe F1 with an attached bag to be similar to the Seek Outside Revolution Suspension Pack Frame

Na I hadn’t considered it. Done a truck load of research mostly on the American forums etc. The eberlestock honestly didn’t get the best reviews so crossed it out. I don’t really like the idea of having to buy this frame than buy this pack than this lid than this add on etc. prefer just to get it all in 1 system that has been thought out already.