SKRE gear review

G'day aushunters,

I am going to put the following review up on google reviews, thought you guys might be interested, the guys at SKRE really were very helpful and while it isnt cheap in Aus dollars, it is very comparable to the other 'premium' name brands and cheaper than most i think:

After significant amounts of research and analysing all of the premium gear providers (kuiu, first lite, sitka etc), i chose SKRE gear to supply me with all the clothing i need for an upcoming trip to NZ chasing Tahr and I am extremely happy with that decision. I picked up the Rocky Mountain Elk bundle (base layer top and bottom, outer layer top and bottom, vest, belt and also bought balaclava, gloves and gaiters) and the guys at SKRE were brilliant helping me out with selecting the right pieces, double checking sizing and shipping down to Australia. Thanks to Covid travel restrictions here it has taken me a while to get out there and try this new gear out but thankfully I was able to spend a few days recently the NSW alpine area where temps were cold in the early morning at -5 Deg Celsius and up to about 10-12 deg C in the day.

I was comfortable in all of those temp ranges with the kaibab base layers and hardscrabble pants and jacket, all I had to do was remove my insulation layer once it started warming up and I was fine. The only thing I would add is a pair of inner gloves to wear inside the deadfall gloves when it is really cold. I have never owned premium gear like this, the fit, comfort and freedom of movement was downright awesome thanks to the 4 way stretch. The base layers were so comfortable I barely knew they were there and no itch which is a good indication of quality – I have cheaper merino base layers from a general hiking company and they don’t fit right and itch like crazy. After 4 days of wearing them, I may have smelled a bit off but the kaibab top and bottoms barely had any smell at all.

Luckily we had pretty good weather so I haven’t really tested this gear in the wet yet but I have no doubt it will perform exceptionally. I personally chose the MTN Stealth pattern and I felt like it melted in to a number of different terrain types including pine forests and Australian native scrub.

Overall, I am extremely impressed and can recommend SKRE to anybody out there trying to decide which brand they want to go with, give SKRE a go, I am pretty sure you will be glad you did.

Unfortunately i forgot to take a good photo of the gear while out there, the one decent photo i do have was with a hunters element jumper on and no jacket so it doesnt really do much in the way of showing the gear.

• Like 2

Thanks for the write up! I hope it serves well on your tahr trip.

Come back to the mountains these next few days and u will get your wet weather test ?