Garmin GPS Service

Burners

I have posted this elsewhere but feel its worth sharing here, I have no ties to Garmin.

I have had a Garmin Montana 650T since 2012, not a cheap bit of kit, about $800 at the time. I went for it because it has a larger screen 3 or 4", can carry it, mount it in car, boat, or bike etc....
It's had a rough life, bounced around on the quad, tropical rain, dust and sat on the windscreen in the NT heat. The power button didn't like the tropics, perished some time ago but I managed with it, it was looking pretty rough. A few weeks back, the touch screen stopped working, tried a few things but decided it was done, I could do a final upload to basecamp though.
I rang Garmin support, asked if I could send it in for repair, the person I spoke to could see I registered it back then and said the 650T is obsolete, we can't repair but we can offer you an exchange of the newer model 680T for $229. I couldn't jump quick enough, accepted the deal, whipped the credit card out and paid!
I posted mine down and received the replacement in 10 days. It looks new, has screen protector, battery shipped in new packaging outside of unit, just not in a flash new box. It takes all the same cables.

What I discovered is you must purchase a Birdseye subscription to transfer coords from basecamp to the new unit, $39 for one year, I did it and now have all my old coords and some select maps in satellite image.

I thought that was pretty good service from Garmin, shows it is worth while registering equipment, cheers.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gibbo 30.06 said:

That’s awesome, and cheers for sharing, we fork out so much money for different pieces of equipment and it’s nice to hear when a brands service to there customers is incredible like that. 

You are correct, there is a well known brand of thermal gear that the factory themselves will NOT repair after 5 years!!  :growl: NOT the ones I sell though.