Airport friendly hard gun case

PWE76

I am looking around for a hard case carry bag

Found this one HD Series Rifle Hard Gun Case XL - Desert Tan

After a hardcase since I can lock it to the drawer system and will then comply with the various States Gun Transport Laws.

I have a lockable centre console safe for the bolt and bolt down ammo case.

How are other transporting their guns?

Pelican 1750      Secure, plenty of room well padded, wheels, lockable  and easy to wheel around. Yes pricey but look at how much $ worth gear you are putting in the trust of the airlines. Watched mine fall of cargo trolley at airport once. On the way home thankfully.

Done about 5 trips to NZ few to Vic so paid for itself.

Customs also like how its layed out.

e3ISnV.jpg

JLg7fQ.jpg

YSvln6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, niteowl said:

PELICAN !

The only other option is PELICAN !

How did you get 264 likes in such a short time? And with only 16 views of the tread.

Edited by PWE76

20 minutes ago, PWE76 said:

How did you get 264 likes in such a short time?

:lol::lolu: 264 likes, that's coz I am so great. Or maybe it was from 264 ??

• Haha 1

The pelican cases are good, and I would say my copy from Supercheap auto is equally good. I have flown with rifles domestically and internationally more times than I can remember - at least 50 times. Any of these heavier duty cases will hold up well. you just need to make sure the foam in the case is supporting the rifle well. The baggage handling practices can be horrendous, so dont try to get by with a light weight case.

When I am driving with my rifles in one of these cases, I padlock the case closed, and run a chain through the metal seat mount back to the padlock so the case is secured to the vehicle. That complies with most domestic storage regulation. I did have someone tell me that the rifles have to be transported in a metal case under QLD regs, but have not actually checked that out myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rifletuner said:

The pelican cases are good, and I would say my copy from Supercheap auto is equally good.

I bought an Evolution Gear HD long case 2540 for around half the price which to me looks like a pelican copy. Its a very solid case, around 11kg (with foam) looks like it has extra structural ribs top and bottom compared to pelican. The air pressure equalisation is not automatic. Roller wheels etc.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave9.3x62 said:

I bought an Evolution Gear HD long case 2540 for around half the price which to me looks like a pelican copy. Its a very solid case, around 11kg (with foam) looks like it has extra structural ribs top and bottom compared to pelican. The air pressure equalisation is not automatic. Roller wheels etc.

Cheers.

Yeah, sounds similar to my Supercheap version. Wouldnt surprise me if they are out of the same factory. For air travel, its a bit of a trade off as you have a weight limit to work with, but still need it strong enough to handle the abuse of handlers in the airports. For driving, its not so much of an issue.

1 minute ago, Rifletuner said:

Yeah, sounds similar to my Supercheap version. Wouldnt surprise me if they are out of the same factory. For air travel, its a bit of a trade off as you have a weight limit to work with, but still need it strong enough to handle the abuse of handlers in the airports. For driving, its not so much of an issue.

yeah, could be same factory. The weight limit sucks. I think the comparable pelican is about the same weight.

I prefer the Evolution Gear case since the foam are reusable. The Pelican foam looks like you cut to suite the weapon which mean you need to buy new foam for a new gun. Not a big issue, more a flexibility/convenience option for me.

Not sure about the Supercheap foam arrangement.

All cases are around the 11kg mark.

One get additional kg when travelling with ‘sport’ equipment, but there is still a limit.

I’ll find out about if two people travel together, what weight limit their is. 

Am consider buy the bigger Evolution Gear case to fit two or three guns since it will be three in the vehicle.

5 hours ago, PWE76 said:

I prefer the Evolution Gear case since the foam are reusable. The Pelican foam looks like you cut to suite the weapon which mean you need to buy new foam for a new gun. Not a big issue, more a flexibility/convenience option for me.

Not sure about the Supercheap foam arrangement.

All cases are around the 11kg mark.

One get additional kg when travelling with ‘sport’ equipment, but there is still a limit.

I’ll find out about if two people travel together, what weight limit their is. 

Am consider buy the bigger Evolution Gear case to fit two or three guns since it will be three in the vehicle.

Im not sure the pluck foam in Evo gear is reusable? 

Quantas & jetstar allow extra carryon with rifle - but it has to be within the overall baggage limit - around 23kgs - and depends on how you travel ie economy etc. Also, I dont think you can share weight with others? Dont quote me, others know for sure.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PWE76 said:

I have travelled with firearms a lot, and I have asked multiple times about additional allowance for sporting goods. I have never had that happen except one time travelling on Emirates where it was arranged in advance for the Australian Tam going to a world championship event. Coming back from a competition in NZ one time, they wanted to charge me $250 in additional baggage on the return leg home. I said its all sporting equipment, dont I get some additional leeway? The guy just laughed at me ans said "everyone would tell me they are travelling with sporting equipment if we did that".

• Thanks 1

It’s been a few years since I’ve done it but if you’re travelling under a group booking as a sporting team, the “manager” will get a slightly higher allowance and you can pay in advance for a larger baggage allowance for each person. I’d assume if you don’t pay the extra then it’s back to the normal weight for everybody. 

• Thanks 1

I sometimes travel with a golf bag and hand luggage, so the overall weight was never an issue, but I am sure that the golf bag was deem sporting equipment.

I’ll swing by the Sunshine Coast Airport and asked them.

I’ll go to the local Evolution Gear dealer and see if the Pick n Pluck foam are reusable.

Looks like it is on the photo, but will see.