Sea to summit sleeping mat review

Gibbo 30.06

So a few weeks back I brought the Sea to summit Ether Light XT Extreme Insulated Sleeping Mat. I took it out over the long weekend on a hunt out past Oberon in NSW and it was a really cold weekend. This mat was unbelievable how good it is, it was really warm to sleep on and not having an insulated mat before I was pretty sceptical about a mat actually being warm. It was comfortable for a sleeping mat a lot better than my old thermarest foam thing. This mat was originally brought for the chopper drop in trip I had planned this year in Victoria because there was a good chance of snow and I’m sure it would have been great for them conditions. If you weren’t planning on using the mat in the snow and even me now I would have brought the model under this the Ether Light XT Insulated Sleeping Mat not the extreme just because it packs down to about half the size of my mat and it is still insulated just obviously not as much. My mate brought that mat and was fine in Oberon with it. Anyway just a bit of info incase others are in the market for a new sleeping mat. I also brought the blow up pillow to go with the mat which worked better than a folded up jumper like I’d normal use on a pack hunt, since you wouldn’t normally carry a full size pillow.

A02E969B-0CB6-40E2-8E5C-76747F9F3E3F.jpeg.39cd794e7fb00fba41683e1b73e4479e.jpeg

• Like 5

Just a bit more info on this post now that I’ve been using this stuff for a while now. The mat is good but it packs down way to big compared to pretty much every other mat I have seen on the market. And the mat isn’t very wide compared to others that also pack smaller. Still comfortable but I would go with one that packs smaller if buying again. Also the blow up pillow is ok if you just want the absolute lightest smallest thing to pack but I never really enjoyed sleeping on it and have changed to the sea to summit foam core pillow that rolls up. It rolls up rather big still for backpacking but it’s worth the comfort for me. 

I've got the Sea to Summit Ultralight Air which comes in much lighter and packs smaller but isn't insulated. Haven't used it in snow but I haven't felt that I needed an insulated version, I guess that's a bit dependent on your sleeping bag too. Agree it's pretty narrow, I move around a bit in my sleep and I'll often wake up half off it. As someone who for some reason lacks the coordination to blow up balloons I was a bit worried about inflating it but no dramas there, the inflator works great. I haven't used one of their blow up pillows but can't imagine I'd enjoy it. The mattress itself doesn't have heaps of give at full inflation like a foam one does, not something I'm looking for in a pillow.