GPS and Map apps

Gibbo 30.06

This is just from the other thread so after having a rhino 650 for years and it’s a good unit but why can’t these gps companies make a decent unit that is like the mapping on your phone that is far better. Last time I went away I used google maps as I had some service but have also been using the Hunt NSW app maps since it shows you exactly where you are and has exclusion zones all on the map over laid. I have also downloaded but haven’t used it yet but it looks really good an app called maps.me you download the app then download all the maps sections on there. It looks good but I haven’t used it and with the tooo maps the contour lines are 100m apart for elevation which obviously there are better maps for that. 

I use MemoryMap app on my phone with all maps purchased from Hema, including Topo maps.

I like it as I can use it when driving and whilst walking. It works good and transitions smoothly between different layers.

Avenza is another app. I’ve loaded in some of the VicMaps and it’s bloody great. 

I use the free version. The paid version has some good extra features but it ain’t cheap enough for me to grab it. 

I only use it as a backup to my “proper” GPS (a Garmin). Not sure if I’m being unfair or not but I trust the dedicated GPS unit more than the phone. 

Does anybody know enough about the detail of the technology behind both of them to give some guidance?

In vic we have "more to explore" have to head to the hunting section, That shows where you can hunt.

I've got the 650, thought that was a great unit and had it for 8? Years. Upgraded to the 750, way better unit but has faults, ie freezers, 1 day battery life,  I believe you can have a subscription service called "birds eye" which is Google earth?. Haven't tried it so can't tell you if clarity is good. 750 can bluetooth to phone, great if hunting in phone reception because that picks up a weather channel and shows rain coming on gps, a bit poxy but alright.

I find rino and topo maps is a brilliant combo

As having uhf/GPS in one unit argument, when it fails you lose both,  bloody hell carry another one, like you would if you had a single uhf and single gps.

As Duncs said avenza maps on phone is good

• Like 1

My GPS came with a Birdseye subscription. It used to be pretty ordinary, but this thread reminded me to check up on it and it has improved over the past couple of years. Looking at a couple of NSW state forests, the level of detail is similar to Google Maps now. You do need to download the maps onto your GPS, and there is a size limit, so each map is limited to about a 15kmx20km in size (~230mb map). It's easy enough to do through Basecamp.

I load the GPS with the NSW DPI maps so I can trace my movements, drop pins and keep an eye on hunting boundaries. Also has topo which is good enough to understand the terrain. For satellite imagery I use google maps on the phone at the moment, and also Avenza for back up DPI maps. I've tried Gaia but didn't find it very useful (looks to be much better in the US than here). OnX doesn't look any better than google maps to me, in Aus anyway.

Can you load the Vic maps into a Garmin? I do like the more to explore app, but would like to have the hunting zones on GPS/Basecamp too for easier planning.

Check out ShonkyMaps for your GPS. I’ve got them on mine and they’re great!  Free, accurate and all the topo detail I need. 

I loaded them years ago so hopefully they’re still available. 

• Like 1