Gun Safe modification

PWE76

Checking if anyone have modified a gun safe to be +150kg by adding weights to the bottom of the safe.

Main reason is you then do not need to bolt it to a surface.

Take a look at the requirements for your state storage laws to be sure it is done in a compliant manner. Generally the requirements are for the weight to be part of the actual safe, eg some plate welded on, not just some weight stacked in the bottom. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2021 at 4:16 PM, Duncs said:

I've always bolted mine.

I know if I had to add 150kg to my safe, a few of my rifles wouldn't fit in anymore and I'd need another safe and another 150kg...

Good point

13 hours ago, Rifletuner said:

Take a look at the requirements for your state storage laws to be sure it is done in a compliant manner. Generally the requirements are for the weight to be part of the actual safe, eg some plate welded on, not just some weight stacked in the bottom. 

I was thinking in the line of making lead bricks with a hole to bolt it to the floor, so instead of bolting down, I bolt up to hold the lead bricks in place, but like Duncan’s said, check the height of your weapon.

i cannot bolt because I will be renting an unit in Melbourne, so 150kg safe or gun storage are my options

Thats what I have done in the past 

4 screws into stud wall. As low as possible with two and as high as possible with another two

That way it will not rock when they try it.

John

10 hours ago, JJonson83 said:

It is recommended that the gun safe be bolted to the floor, simply making the weight of the safe heavier leads to a risk of tampering. By loosening the safe, a thief can gain access to the back wall of the safe.

In general, yes. Basically your safe(s) need to be hard to steal and bolting them to the floor and wall usually achieves that :) 

I’ve got three safes and one is over 150kg empty (it’s a big old thing). That one isn’t bolted down because legally I don’t have to and because since it’s a relic, I don’t want to drill holes in it. The other two definitely are.