Check your PLB

If you register your PLB/EPIRB with AMSA they'll send (or should send) an email to remind you.  Then they also know who the owner of the PLB/EPIRB is, what your car rego is, your contact person, etc, etc, so that if you do hit that button, it all swings into action quickly.  They'll try calling you as well in case its a false alarm - might save you some big bucks...  Definitely worth it ?

• Like 2

Yer mine expired this year I’ve been looking into a new one but there are so many options out there now where you can actually use them to send a text out if you just need to get a msg out.

Also I was under the impression if you use your PLB in a rescue situation you didn’t get charged. Am I wrong in thinking that. It does save a lot of money for them rather than your lost in the bush and they have a search party probably looking for a body by the time your reported missing and they mount a search. 

You definitely won't get charged if its legit.  The definition of "legit" is pretty broad too - people trigger them for much more trivial "issues" than any of us would.  Just down to experience and preparedness and some bush users have neither.

But if you're taking the piss, paying for choppers, etc, etc, can get pretty pricey at $4k/hr (or something like that).  

Bottom line:

• if you push the button, the alarm bells ring and people WILL come looking for you immediately
  • if you think you need help, you probably do, push the button and you won't get in trouble
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gibbo 30.06 said:

Also I was under the impression if you use your PLB in a rescue situation you didn’t get charged. Am I wrong in thinking that. It does save a lot of money for them rather than your lost in the bush and they have a search party probably looking for a body by the time your reported missing and they mount a search. 

I thought it was free too - but ambulance is not usually free, so not sure.

19 minutes ago, Dave9.3x62 said:

I thought it was free too - but ambulance is not usually free, so not sure.

In vic, we can purchase ambo cover. About $50 for single or $100 for family a year.

Cheap insurance if shit does go down hill out bush or anywhere

• Like 1

I think the only charge in Vic is for the ambos.

None of the other services charge as far as I’m aware if it’s a legit rescue. Especially not the volunteer services (SES, CFA, BSAR, Coast Guard, etc).

But as Matt says - ambo cover will make the ambos $0 as well.