Beginner hunting equipment?

Davidsap

Hi I just got my firearms licence and am new to hunting. I am looking to buy my first shotgun or riffle but one that is affordable such as a second hand one (i have visited gun stores but the cheapest they have are over 300-400 which is too much for me at the moment).

I am also looking for bows and related equipment (again, that is affordable).

I can't find a gun/bow classified section on this website, or are there any other websites that sell used and second hand firearms? 

Thank you!

Welcome to the sport Dave!

Like most sports, the most expensive part is starting.  You need the gear to get going.  

The second hand market sounds like the best option for you.  Like Whistler said, buying a cheap gun can often end in tears...  but you can get a good rifle/shotgun 2nd hand for a cheaper price, obviously.

You didn't mention what type of hunting you're wanting to get into.  Duck, rabbit, fox, goat, deer, pig, other?  That will determine what type of rifle/shotgun you will need.

Let us know and we'll throw you some suggestions.

You'll obviously need a safe as well.  With them, keep in mind that the advertising is usually "optimistic"...  A "3 gun safe" is pretty small...

Other stuff that is optional but very recommended includes a sling, gun bag, binoculars, scope (rather than iron sights), cleaning equipment & supplies, and maybe camouflage clothing - especially if you're thinking of deer hunting.  The list is never ending.  But if you've got a rifle/shotgun, some ammo, and knowledge of safe shooting, that's all you really need.

Anyway, give us some more info on what you're thinking of hunting. 

I've been thinking about the one gun to rule them all concept a bit lately but its hard to come up with a single answer. Most people agree that if you could only ever have one firearm it should be a 12g shotgun. With the different types of ammo you can pretty much do anything with it. Pellets of varying sizes for small game, several options in buckshot and slugs for large game, its fun to shoot clays and there is a big sport following for it. Having said that there are plenty of things that will do some of the same jobs but way better.

It is my opinion after starting with a slightly less than mainstream caliber rifle that you probably should go for the more common caliber types. You get many more option for over the shelf ammo, and more availability. A lot of beginners want to be Mr. cool guy 300 blackout or get a 50bmg but then quickly sell those things when they realise it doesn't really suit their purpose and the ammo is hard to find.

Like Duncs said the different guns suit different tasks. If you are just plugging around for rabbits and foxes and want really cheap ammo that is always available in a lot of varieties, old faithful 22LR is the one to go for. It's a pleasure to shoot with very little recoil, and easy on the ears. You can spend very little money to get setup with an old second hand 22LR and have a great time. A 22LR will struggle with larger animals and to be honest, if you care at all for your targets suffering it just isn't an ethical play to be shooting mid to large game with such a small round.

Bigger stuff such as pig, goat and deer I reckon .308 is the go. It's probably the most common ammunition around after .22LR and .223. The .223 is a great round but is not considered big enough in a legal sense for deer in Victoria and other parts of the country. I have a few different guns for different purposes now but if I could only have 3 they would be a 12g shotgun, a 22LR rifle, and a .308 rifle.

Archery is fun, and very quiet if that's your thing, but it has a much steeper learning curve and a lower success rate than using guns. I still shoot a bow sometimes but you can't argue with a rifles ability to get meat on the deck.

For hunting, the binoculars are really handy. They allow you to makes plans as you move and strategize rather than being on top of the animals and having to scramble. When I first started hunting I asked for advice and read a lot and came to the conclusion that a set of 8x48 binos was the way to go. I've since changed my opinion. I found for the hunting I was doing at the time which was chasing Sambar Deer in thick mountainous terrain, they were very heavy and I didn't use them enough to justify the discomfort. I now do most of my hunting on farms and I have found a set of 10x28's have been so good. I got the Vortex Diamondback's for about $250. I use them every day for work with the sheep, I use them for hunting small game around the farm, I take them waterfowl hunting and they will probably come on my next deer hunt.

Besides your weapon and binos I reckon you need a decent knife, a lighter, some pillow cases for keeping fly's off the meat, a backpack and a first aid kit with 2 compression bandages with butterfly clips for snake bites, 2 tourniquets for major bleeding, a little betadine squeezer, some band aids, and some water purification tablets.

• Like 2

Even before the greed and covid taxes, it is hard and a bigger hobby than you think to set up with the never ending list of must haves.

I was going to start with a cheap .22 like a Savage or Marlin but a few hundred more got me a CZ. Cry once and got a 22 for life. I laughed at what they wanted for 2nd hand guns and lots are duds that blokes just sell, it's a suss thing and I found it better to buy new in stock rifles on sale. Everyone needs a 22, so why not buy one first and send thousands of rounds of cheap ammo through it.

I shot mine for over 6 months and was shopping for a shotty. The Akkar was about $1,200 but shotties have to fit and handle well and when I picked up a Beretta Silver pigeon, I knew it was for me and got one on sale. Shooting clays the cheap ones may give problems but should go fine in the field not shooting as many rounds.

If you go one project at a time you can put the thought into the next and not make the common mistakes like buying a varmint and a 6-24 power scope to hike in the hills for 6 hours with. Also think hard on cal choices for the same reasons. 

And are you reloading ammo?

If so, this can keep the costs down, eg. A Lee loader kit can be under $80 new or $50 second hand. All you need is a hammer and components (and eye protection).

Reloading for a .308 means I can use lighter projectiles for small game, eg. 110 grain for goats/dogs, or heaver for deer/pigs. This gives me the option of NOT having to buy 2-3 different rifles.

I'd say go to the local range and shoot there. Find out what you like, talk to the guys who have been there and done that, they will welcome newbies, especially those who turn up as a club member, (help out at working bees). Ask them what they recommend for you type of hunting. Put the word out that you need a gun, they may have 2nd hand for sale, which you can test out at the range. They may also have accessories to go with it, eg. slings, loading gear, and lots of advice.

Then, as Bruce Lee said, "Keep what is useful, discard what is not".

What is the nearest town to you? You may find good contacts here or the range. Or send me a PM.

• Like 1

Dave old chap, with nearly 70 years of being in this game let me give you some advice.                                                                                                                        

You have a licence you say, therefore you are standing at the top of a VERY steep and VERY slippery slope with one foot already over the edge. Move that foot back onto safe ground and back away from the slope NOW while you have the chance. Once the second foot goes over the edge you are DOOMED, it will never end.

Maybe, maybe you can START cheap but once you are hooked, doom. If I have to be honest, I would have paid for a very comfortable house and land package with what I have spent over time. Even now the stuff in my safe that would pay for 5 NEW family sized sedans. :wacko:

Run while you have the chance !!!!

Although welcome to the fold. Would I change what I have done if I could go back? NO ! :thumbsd:                 I have no regrets but I do question my sanity at times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2