Advice - GPS Handheld Devices for hunting Public Land in NSW

Colski

Hi,

I am after some advice on which handheld GPS devices to buy suitable for hunting on public lands that meet the DPI requirements. Looking to spend $350 max is this enough?

Apparently these need to be compatible with:

• Like 1

I find the best thing for meeting the requirements is just use the Hunt NSW app that you use to book public land hunting. It has the forest boundaries in there maps and shows exactly where you are. Then just buy whatever gps you want. 

• Like 1

Those are all standard mapping file formats. Basecamp is the Garmin software if I remember correctly. 

In the past I’d have said using your phone for GPS work was a good way to getting horribly lost.  But the new phones with apps like Avenza are pretty bloody good. A dedicated GPS still seems to have more features but as far as working out where you are, Avenza (and probably some others) are really reliable. 

I’m still not at point where I’d trust a phone without a GPS with me so Garmin is the one   I’d go with. Whatever model you can afford but a touch screen is highly recommended. Scrolling through letters one by one like you had to on a 1990 era phone is tedious…

• Like 2

Thanks Gents. Much appreciated.

Edited by Colski

Depends what you are wanting.  If you are just wanting something to comply with R licence requirements then a phone with Avenza works great. Just make sure of battery life by turning the phone off or putting it in flight mode when not in use. Alternatively carry a power bank.

If you're relying on the GPS for critical navigation then consider a specific device (better battery life and sometimes more precise location and functionality). 

That said, I'm not comfortable relying on a battery powered device when navigation is critical to my well-being. A map and compass and the skill to use them is well worth obtaining.

• Like 3