G'day from - NSW

G'day everyone,

Name is Tarn, just made the move to off-grid living on the mid-north coast of NSW. Got a 400 acre mountain property we just built a shed on and are working towards making a self-sufficient homestead. Am looking into getting into hunting for recreation and to get some food. There is suppose to be deer in our area (would be my dream to harvest them). Also I can hear wild dogs at night time. There is a range of wildlife on our property but also 3-4 hunt-able state forests within an hours drive in the ute.

Plan on spending the next few months reading about hunting practices and going through the process of acquiring licensing, firearms etc. I grew up in the bush and have done the odd bit of shooting as a kid but of course have a lot to learn with getting myself set up as an adult.

Cheers have a good one!

• Like 3

Hey, the journey to a firearms licence takes about 4-5 months that includes your first permit to acquire for a firearm. It's a pretty drawn out process because of the waiting times so I would get onto that asap it's pretty easy your nearest firearms store will be able to help you find the nearest safety course provider. 

Good luck that's a great area where you are!

• Like 1

Hi 

I am a new hunter based in western Sydney. I have only been out hunting once so far as I just got my R licence but  I absolutely loved the experience and intend to keep at it and improve my skills.

I also shoot at St Mary's and Hyland Road range at Holroyd

Edited by Haku Yokai

On 26/03/2017 at 8:42 PM, Tarnwyn said:

G'day everyone,

Name is Tarn, just made the move to off-grid living on the mid-north coast of NSW. Got a 400 acre mountain property we just built a shed on and are working towards making a self-sufficient homestead. Am looking into getting into hunting for recreation and to get some food. There is suppose to be deer in our area (would be my dream to harvest them). Also I can hear wild dogs at night time. There is a range of wildlife on our property but also 3-4 hunt-able state forests within an hours drive in the ute.

Plan on spending the next few months reading about hunting practices and going through the process of acquiring licensing, firearms etc. I grew up in the bush and have done the odd bit of shooting as a kid but of course have a lot to learn with getting myself set up as an adult.

Cheers have a good one!

Good luck with the homesteading

hope to do that someday.

Edited by Haku Yokai

Hello from Maitland,

Looking to start bow hunting in the state forests in the Hunter area, still need to but the gear and get licenced.  Mostly looking to take pigs and goats for meat, maybe get into deer hunting if the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi All

just signed up to the forum. I live on the mid north coast Nsw. I like all forms of hunting but on land most of mine involves travelling to various properties around nsw chasing pigs with my dogs. I'm a member of th APDHA. I look forward to viewing the forum and its contents.