G'day from - NSW

Hi from Sydney's north,

I mainly hunt in state forests using my R-Licence to chase Red & Fallow Deer.

Have previously hunted the Vic High Country for Sambar, but two recent little 'bundles of joy' have kept me close to the home ranges for 'single' day hunts.

Have seen a few deer on my last trips, but haven't been able to put a shot on one yet....hopefully very soon :)

I am in the Sambar country right now....bloody freezin'at Myrtleford, Victoria.

"Man was never meant to live in a cold climate"....makes one appreciate Emerald Old.

My friend here has all the good gear, 300 Win mag, 338 Win Mag, thermal/infra red and then switches on the Night vision; the deer just stand cannot see the beam on them ...a different world for me.

Sambar night before last went 180 kg dressed....a "small one".

Sambar is something else when cooked...not the gamey taste of other venison ....schnitzels unbelievable.

Hi, my name is Warren, been hunting for only a few years after a long absence from shooting with my father when I was younger. 

Recently been on a west coast NZ hunt with John Royle for Tahr. Had an awesome time up in the back country with a good mate of mine. We both came away great trophies.

• Like 1

Hi 

James from Sydney 

been into hunting for awhile now and starting to venture down to vic to do solo back packs hunts , pump action 22 , lever action shot gun , tikka t3 223 , 308 , 300wsm 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 7:16 PM, tuppo2491 said:

I am in the Sambar country right now....bloody freezin'at Myrtleford, Victoria.

"Man was never meant to live in a cold climate"....makes one appreciate Emerald Old.

My friend here has all the good gear, 300 Win mag, 338 Win Mag, thermal/infra red and then switches on the Night vision; the deer just stand cannot see the beam on them ...a different world for me.

Sambar night before last went 180 kg dressed....a "small one".

Sambar is something else when cooked...not the gamey taste of other venison ....schnitzels unbelievable.

Wright James,

Interesting that you are going south.

The deer there are really something, in a word for me a different world regarding the hunting and harvesting of these animals. A whole different attitude to reloading also compared to my experience with bench rest shooting. Generally FULL LENGTH SIZE every time.... and then chuck the cases after about 5-6 reloads. 

Calibres also...anything less than a .30-06 is looked on as inadequate for a humane kill. . 300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag quite common and the 'big banger' .416  is sort of powerful ! !

Sambar appears to be Deer of choice for the meat side as it is not the 'gamey taste' of RED and FALLOW species.

On 24/01/2007 at 1:51 AM, AusHunter said:

Welcome to the AusHunt website all new members.

AusHunt promotes safe, ethical and humane hunting practice in Australia which is reflected in our positive discussions and attitudes we have on this board. There are many experienced members and industry reps who are only too happy to answer your questions.

Just tell us a little about yourself by replying here to gain immediate full access.

Happy Hunting,

AusHunt Admin.

HI from Victoria,