G'day from - NSW

G'day, my name’s Garry - 'Ducky' to my friends – and I live on the NSW far south coast, in Bovine Shangri La (some call it the Bega Valley). I’m a hunter of many years who has recently turned to traditional bows and bowhunting for the challenge.

I have to confess I’m yet to take a single animal with a bow, but I’ve taken just about every form of feral beastie with riffles of innumerable types and calibres, since first being handed a riffle by my dear old (departed) dad in the 1960s. I remember that Browning short-shot well, and how I wish I’d had the foresight to keep it!

I have 4 children, all of whom were introduced to hunting at an early age, and I have 8 grandchildren, three of whom are avid novas archers.

These days I busy myself with lobbying and advocacy, mainly in the affordable housing and homelessness spheres. I have many years of experience in these areas, and I have been engaged as a policy consultant to a number of NSW ministers, so I know what goes on in the belly of the beast, and what motivates its various appetites. I’m seeking therapy for that!

I was raised in Sydney, until moving to the south coast in the early 80s. I have a BA (Literature) and I’ve been lucky enough to win a number of awards for my work in media and advocacy, most notably the Order of Australia Medal in 2009.

Once upon a time I wrote for a number of hunting journals, but until recently I’d not put pen to paper (nor digit to keyboard) for many years. However, I have become increasingly incensed by the growing incidence of offensive public statements made hunting’s detractors, and the campaigns of various political lobbies that lie to and manipulate the public in pursuit of their various and mostly irrational agenda. As a result, I have decided to dart once more into the fray by having a crack at the odd targeted opinion piece.

I should also admit that I think hunting’s ‘supporters’ have a lot to answer for too. Especially when it comes to the willingness of so many ‘commentators’ and discussion forum contributors, to leave inflammatory statements all over the net which, aside from being totally self-indulgent, also make for a rich harvest for the journalist (etc) who would like nothing better that to paint all hunters as violent, mindless rednecks, bent on the destruction of wholesome family values and, eventually no-doubt, world domination.

I am a conservationist (not a preservationist) who believes that with the right rules, regulations and management, and with the cooperation of the public, agencies and hunters alike, there is scope for everyone to use our public lands for our various recreational and cultural pursuits, without undue concern for public safety. I would like to think that I can make some small contribution to the cause as together we strive to achieve this end.

Edited by Garry

Hi.

My name is Lenny, I live in Sydney near Parramatta, I love to shoot and i like to hunt but at age 51 i have left it a bit late to start !!

I should have done this 20 years ago when it was a bit less of a challange to walk up hills.

Hope to find some regular places to hunt at in the near future.

I should also admit that I think hunting’s ‘supporters’ have a lot to answer for too. Especially when it comes to the willingness of so many ‘commentators’ and discussion forum contributors, to leave inflammatory statements all over the net which, aside from being totally self-indulgent, also make for a rich harvest for the journalist (etc) who would like nothing better that to paint all hunters as violent, mindless rednecks, bent on the destruction of wholesome family values and, eventually no-doubt, world domination.

"I dont think people should be worried specifically about bowhunters"

"Bowhunters have to get so close there is little chance of misadentifying their target"

Garry you would know that raising a negatave point to try to push a positive,only results in the negative point being raised.

Whats your objective re firearms in National Parks?

Cheers Sharkey

Edited by sharkey

Hi guys.

I'm from Wee Waa but do alot of my hunting in my home town on the northern rivers near Grafton hunting mainly wild dogs on my parents property and surrounds. used to use my old SMLE 303-25 but have just ordered a new Tikka T3 Varmint in 223.

Hi fellas,

I'm Sam, from Sydney. Im a twice a year warrior (only get out twice a year for a week or two) but have grown up with hunting. Currently shoot with a .22, .222, .223, .243 and 30/30. I target whatever the farmer needs gone but my primary reason for hunting lies in the sport of tracking.

Gday all,

Live in the Southern Highlands.

Currently shooting .223 and a 7mm-08 in the wind, I shoot at Silverdale and hunt in the highlands and the Snowies.

Started hunting at about 12 and had a break for a while but back into it now big time.

Love my reloading and playing with load development.

Cheers

S1mmo

Hi, I'm from the NSW south coast.

Started off as a kid with an air rifle and 30yrs later still have it, along with a Brno Model 1 22lr, two Winchester model 370 12g shotguns and a new CZ .223 with a Leopold 3-9x50 VX2 and Led Lenzer mounted light.

I mainly used the shotguns for Indian Mynahs on our property and the .223 for spotlighting all of the foxes that try to get to our chooks and ducks on our property and friend's properties. Found it to be a really effective setup.

I hope to learn more tricks about fox hunting including calling foxes in during different seasons.

Cheers!