G'day from - WA

G'day all,

It's been nearly twelve years since I have hunted actively and regularly, it's about time I got back into it! I'm looking forward to joining the Aushunt community. I'm based in Perth and am also considering upgrading calibres from a .243 to a .308, now comes the mine field, which brand and model!?!!!

Happy hunting,

Mountaineer

Welcome to the madhouse, what part of Perth? A few of us in the Nth get together very now and then.

And I think its nearly that time of year again, and I know the perfect place for it this year.

Hi new to this forum live in the Great Southern towards Albany.Have been shooting for awhile now and have gained access to farms around the state.Enjoy spending time out in paddocks getn rid of vermine for the farmers,

Hi all.

I live in Perth and enjoy target archery, thought I may try my hand at some bow hunting. Currently upgrading my target bow so I can now set up my old one for hunting.

Welcome to the AusHunt website all new members.

AusHunt promotes safe, ethical and humane hunting practice in Australia which is reflected in our positive discussions and attitudes we have on this board. There are many experienced members and industry reps who are only too happy to answer your questions.

Just tell us a little about yourself by replying here to gain immediate full access.

Happy Hunting,

AusHunt Admin.

Hi I've recently bought my first rifle, a .243 Savage with varmint barrel. This tends to be a little heavy when carried through bush after camels. So I've put a deposit on a .308 Browning with sights only(very light). I just got a call from dept of lic. saying I must choose between the two rifles, not own both. One is for long distance firing, resting on ute, aiming at goats, rabbits, fox, etc. .308 is for hunting camels as they can require a large calibre & good aim. Can anyone help me with my concerns over dept. of lic.?

Hi I've recently bought my first rifle, a .243 Savage with varmint barrel. This tends to be a little heavy when carried through bush after camels. So I've put a deposit on a .308 Browning with sights only(very light). I just got a call from dept of lic. saying I must choose between the two rifles, not own both. One is for long distance firing, resting on ute, aiming at goats, rabbits, fox, etc. .308 is for hunting camels as they can require a large calibre & good aim. Can anyone help me with my concerns over dept. of lic.?

Hey Hosstifer,

The devil is in the detail when putting in your application. As we are the people who use these guns, we understand the need for two high powered rifles in different calibres, especially when it comes to camels, .308 is minimum calibre imho. But the licensing department just see two high powered rifles and says "too many". I've found the more I explained the reason behind the additional guns required, the easier the application process was.

I'm not too sure on the recourse after the application has been submitted, maybe one of the more experienced members on here from WA can help you there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

welcome mate, the whole system has changed for us folks in WA and the story is they dont want to issue anyone anymore firearms. they will use that reason ' you already have a calibre thats to simaliar to the one your trying to license'. you have to state in detail and if possible a few reasons why you require the .308 over the .243. i usually write in detail and until i run out of space in my applications. dont back down mate. you have a genuine and logic reason there and i hope you stated this in your form.

good luck man and if you give up, they win.

Hi I've just taken up hunting rabbits and foxes thanks to a good mate who lets me shoot on his property. I don’t have a rifle of my own yet but I've gone co user on a mates 22 however I'm waiting for my Savage model 11 223 to arrive from Queensland which for some reason is taking forever. Once it does finally arrive I'll have to wait another 30 days to get it added to my license. Mate I have dreams about the day it will finally arrive and I can take it shooting. To end on a good note though I finally got my Leupold scope VX 2 from the states, saved me a heap, essentially got the next model up for the same price as the local outlet where going to charge me for the VX1. :thumbsu:

www.TheRifleScopeStore.com.

Hi there guys, well I'm very new here and new to this. No licence,No gun,No land and no club. I have done a few shoots with mates at their ranges with a mixture of guns from rifles to pistols, and love it. So I will be lurking around here picking your brains.

Cheers Megs