G'day from - WA

I was born in South Africa now living in australia as a citizen. I started hunting as a youngster under a strict code of rules and habbits when handling firearms. I also attended a hunting school in SA. I've always practiced humane hunting methods and any game I have shot has been for eating or pest control.

My reason for joining Aushunt is to find a way to get back into the hunting scene. Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by bushkat

Hi Bushkat welcome to the forum.

The WA guys are having a get together shortly, have a look up about 5 or 6 posts, you'll see one by me with a link to where we are discussing it.

What part of WA are you in?

My club shoots SA Practical Sillhouette once a month, plenty of Afrikaans around the mound if you feel homesick :D

Come along to either the BBQ or a shoot, you'll get plenty of good advice.

Sneaky.

Hi Dhufish,

What club are you a member of at Wanneroo/Pinjar?

Me, Brendan and White Feather are members of the metallic sillhouette club.

And posting pic's is easy, show us some of ya warthogs etc :D

And have a look 3 posts up, I have a link to a thread where we are trying to organise a BBQ for the WA boys to meet up, you're more than welcome to be a part of it.

Hi Guys, I am a member of Perth Big game Rifle Club and Rifle Metallic Silhouette Club.Also Wanneroo Sporting Clays and W.A. gun Club at Whiteman's Park. These clubs keep me busy and my reloading press warm.I noticed that somebody lives at Gidge. I live on O'Brien road.Like I said , My computer skills are not good,I can e-mail photos to one of you , and you can post them. If you want to see a Warthog get the last edition of Wild Boar Australia and see the Warty I wrote about in that issue.On my last hunt in Africa last month, I shot a 40'' Cape Buff , an old Eland Bull and a Nyala .all one shot kills (but with an ''Insurance''shot into the Buff) with my .375 Ruger using Barnes Triple Shocks. I will now have another look at posting photos instructions and try again, but if they dont appear, you will know that it made my head hurt. We shoot at R.M.S.C.next Sunday and I think there is a B.B.Q. after the shoot. Big Game Club shoots the following Sunday.Maybe I will see you there ? Best regards J.P.

Hi Guys, I am a member of Perth Big game Rifle Club and Rifle Metallic Silhouette Club.Also Wanneroo Sporting Clays and W.A. gun Club at Whiteman's Park. These clubs keep me busy and my reloading press warm.I noticed that somebody lives at Gidge. I live on O'Brien road.Like I said , My computer skills are not good,I can e-mail photos to one of you , and you can post them. If you want to see a Warthog get the last edition of Wild Boar Australia and see the Warty I wrote about in that issue.On my last hunt in Africa last month, I shot a 40'' Cape Buff , an old Eland Bull and a Nyala .all one shot kills (but with an ''Insurance''shot into the Buff) with my .375 Ruger using Barnes Triple Shocks. I will now have another look at posting photos instructions and try again, but if they dont appear, you will know that it made my head hurt. We shoot at R.M.S.C.next Sunday and I think there is a B.B.Q. after the shoot. Big Game Club shoots the following Sunday.Maybe I will see you there ? Best regards J.P.

See you at the club in the morning, my first shoot a PRMSC, both me and my son will be there .

Hello Brendan, I was at the shoot and I saw you there but didn't know it was you. I was the old guy in the green shirt and had my grandson with me , he was the little kid with the fully ''Camo'' rifle who was hitting more targets than his Grandfather, Also if ''Sneaky '' was there he didn't intruduce himself,(unless he had a south African accent ) then I probably know who he is, Anyway I'll Be at the next shoot and will wear a sign around my neck with ''Dhufish''on it so we can all get to know each other.Regards.

Hi Dhufish,

I was there, I was busy talking to Bob, we were the 2 standing near the entrance up until the shooting started, he's the old b@stard :-)

As I said in my PM to you I was wearing a Microsoft shirt.

NEXT time we'll just have to yell out "Hey, Dhufish, who the #### are you? Show yourself"!!

Next meeting is the AGM so we'll get more time to catch up then.

Ahh thats why you had to get up at 7:30 I thought it might have been to get all the girls up from the slumber party

They were still up at 02:00, and they were all running around sucking helium balloons again at 06:30!!!!

Wait another few years Dann, then I'll invite you over for the slumber parties.......

They were still up at 02:00, and they were all running around sucking helium balloons again at 06:30!!!!

Wait another few years Dann, then I'll invite you over for the slumber parties.......

Only if Pyjamas are optional ;)

Hi Dhufish,

I was there, I was busy talking to Bob, we were the 2 standing near the entrance up until the shooting started, he's the old b@stard :-)

As I said in my PM to you I was wearing a Microsoft shirt.

NEXT time we'll just have to yell out "Hey, Dhufish, who the #### are you? Show yourself"!!

Next meeting is the AGM so we'll get more time to catch up then.

Hi Sneaky , What the f----is a microsoft shirt ? I was the old Guy wearing a GREEN shirt who was getting beaten by his 10 year old grandson with the camo rifle. I am well known by Bob because him and me and Malcolm were some of the original members of S.S.A.A. when it started in early 70's. My name is John P...... Bob will point me out next meeting.Regards J.P.

Hi, welcome, you'll find we're a friendly bunch, if you look a few posts above you'll see a link to a thread organising a WA get together that'll be happening within the next 2-3 weeks.

Hi, It's Dhufish again, I was re reading some of the posts from W.A. and I saw that somebody else in W.A. has a .375 Ruger in his list of ''Tools"" Who is it ? since my first post I have learned to post photos and I sent some of my most recent ''Victims'' of my .375 Ruger. Fantastic calibre, all one shot kills using 300gn. Barnes xxx;s handloaded to 2670fps.I don't know where to look for the photos yet but they are there somewhere.Regards.

Hi Sneaky , What the f----is a microsoft shirt ?

Hi Dhufish,

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 20 years or so you may be aware of a nerd called Bill Gates? He started a little software company and did quite well for himself apparently.

You may be familliar with his products, in fact you may even be using one of them as you read this :P

</smart @rse answer>

Microsoft :D

I know, I'm a smart @rse, :P

Hey all. Great website & forum here, congrats on that.

Twas an avid shooter years ago in NSW brought up with safe firearm ownership by my dad. Thirteen years ago suffered what can only be called a vexatious avo by the ex (probably a number of you have similar stories) & you guessed it, license punched & attempt to confiscate my rifles, even though it was thrown out of court ( she didn't turn up). My dad took ownership of my beautiful Sako .243 with Karl Kahles scope to safe guard.

In WA now & my boy is expressing interest in the sport. Will possibly move back east some day hopefully & thus looking to get license again. Finding it difficult to get info on licensing here, will ask questions in the appropriate forum.

I'm all for safe firearm ownership & responsible hunting. I will be bringing my boy up the same way as my father did with me. Just have to get the legalities settled. Times have changed for sure, some laws are good, others not. They are what they are but I hope that my son can enjoy the same freedoms & enjoyment of the Australian bush as I did.

Cheers all.

Hi Baders, welcome to the forum mate!

####enell, the WA boys are coming out of the woodwork lately! :D

Licensing here is relatively straightforward, you have 2 choices:

1: join a club and attend the requisite number of shoots, get a letter of club support and forever shoot paper on a range.

2: find a landholder who will give you a letter of permission to shoot on his land and viola, you have an open license.

There is NO shooting on crown land/reserves/state forests etc here.

As much as we #### and moan about licensing, it does seem (and it grates me to say this) that it's less hassle in WA than some other states. Damn that was hard to type.....

That is for the time being anyway, there's a seperate thread where we are discussing rumors of proposed changes to the laws and in the words of Jim Carrey, we'll "#### and moan like impotent jerks", then bend over and take it unless we stand strong and challenge some of this BS!!!

</rant>

Oh, and we're having a BBQ at Whiteman park by the looks of it, early in November, there's a thread "WA get together", jump in and have your say as to date/venue.

Heya Sneaky. Just over the hill at Clarkson here. I have to say I have no interest in potting at paper targets. Is it possible to join SSAA & then SSAA Hunting & Conservation to provide the necessary requirements ?? (as in NSW). Been here 2 years but yet to come across a landowner sadly :(

A get together would be great, Whiteman Park or anywhere, must read that thread.

Cheers mate.

Heya Sneaky. Just over the hill at Clarkson here. I have to say I have no interest in potting at paper targets. Is it possible to join SSAA & then SSAA Hunting & Conservation to provide the necessary requirements ?? (as in NSW). Been here 2 years but yet to come across a landowner sadly :(

A get together would be great, Whiteman Park or anywhere, must read that thread.

Cheers mate.

Nope, the SSAA does SFA for us mate, and a filthy rumour I have heard is that you must have landholder permission for EVERY property you shoot on, so I couldn't take you to one of MY properties as my guest.

I bloody well hope that IS just a filthy rumour. <_<