G'day from - ACT

Hi All,

Back in to shooting after going to cover in 1996. I'm after foxes and bunnies (17HMR). Although, after a stroll through Tallaganda I think I might add pigs to the list.

I'm after a suitable calibre for pigs in close for a lever aCTION IF ANYONE'S GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Cheers,

Mark.

G'DAY FROM ALANC NEW TO ALL THIS COMPUTER STUFF SO FLYING BY THE SEAT OF MY PANTS SO TO SPEAK. JUST GETTING BACK INTO THE SHOOTING GAME AFTER YEARS AWAY FROM IT USED TO MAINLY SHOT A FEW BUNNIES, FOXES, DUCKS WHEN THE OLD MAN MANAGED A COUPLE OF FARMS. USED MAINLY THE TRUSTY OLD .22 AND 12 GAUGE IN THOSE DAYS. IN THE PROCESS OF OBTAINING MY GUN LICENCE AGAIN LOT HARDER NOW DAYS THEN YEARS AGO. ANYWAY PROBABLY LOOKING AT EITHER 270 OR 308 AS KEEN TO START DOING SOME DEER, GOAT SHOOTING. HAVE START USING A SCOPE AS IN THE PAST OPEN SIGHTS WERE THE GO BUT NOW WITH A DODGY AIMING EYE THATS OUT THE WINDOW AND TOTALLY IMPRACTICLE, GREAT THAT STATE FORESTS ARE NOW OPEN TO LEGITIMATE HUNTERS.

ALAN

G'day,

I fish Lake Eucumbene & saltwater.

Luv fishin, knives, campn, 4WDn, canoeing, boating n boozing, (when the missus lets me).

Keen to get into hunting and associated paraphenalia which also crosses over into aforementioned pursuits.

Hate scum bag mongrels that leave filth, rubbish, beer bottles, bait bags, fishin line, behind.

Cheers

Gday.

Im sloth and have just gotten back into rifles and shooting. I grew up on some small acres and had access to dads guns back then and my little Gamo .177 air rifle which claimed many a bird, toy soldier set up on dirt mounds and a few rabbits. I had a stint with bows but was too lazy to follow it up.

Ive recently purchased a little T.O.Z/Winchester .22rf and its a sweet little gun thats already had close to 2000 rounds put through at the range. Ive Got a Howa 1500 .270 ordered and just waiting for it too arrive so I can get the slow process of registration going. Next on my list (once the Howa turns up) Will be a .204 of some sort. Ive looked at a savage that was pretty sweet but still shopping for ideas. Tight sorta budget and all.

Ive got access to a couple of properties but they are all 4 hrs (foxes, rabbits) to 7 hours (foxes, rabbits, goats, pigs, dogs) drive from me so I got my R licence to try to close my hunting distances a touch. The only burn is my Low commodore isnt going to get me into much nor do I want bloody carcasses in it and muddy boots. Next year ill be saving my arse off to get me a hunting truck. I dont care what brand, make, external/internal condition, whether small or large, ute or wagon, 4 or 2x4, It just has to have some ground clearance and somewhere to put some meat, skins and trophies. (alot of wishfull thinking there I know)

Im keen to hunt anything I can get around with a plan to get into Deer. Ive got some recipes for tanning and want to try my hand at that too.

Anyhoo I look forward to meeting people here and reading stories and sharing experiances and Ideas and keep this awesome hobby going.

Edited by Sloth

Gday.

Im sloth and have just gotten back into rifles and shooting. I grew up on some small acres and had access to dads guns back then and my little Gamo .177 air rifle which claimed many a bird, toy soldier set up on dirt mounds and a few rabbits. I had a stint with bows but was too lazy to follow it up.

Ive recently purchased a little T.O.Z/Winchester .22rf and its a sweet little gun thats already had close to 2000 rounds put through at the range. Ive Got a Howa 1500 .270 ordered and just waiting for it too arrive so I can get the slow process of registration going. Next on my list (once the Howa turns up) Will be a .204 of some sort. Ive looked at a savage that was pretty sweet but still shopping for ideas. Tight sorta budget and all.

Ive got access to a couple of properties but they are all 4 hrs (foxes, rabbits) to 7 hours (foxes, rabbits, goats, pigs, dogs) drive from me so I got my R licence to try to close my hunting distances a touch. The only burn is my Low commodore isnt going to get me into much nor do I want bloody carcasses in it and muddy boots. Next year ill be saving my arse off to get me a hunting truck. I dont care what brand, make, external/internal condition, whether small or large, ute or wagon, 4 or 2x4, It just has to have some ground clearance and somewhere to put some meat, skins and trophies. (alot of wishfull thinking there I know)

Im keen to hunt anything I can get around with a plan to get into Deer. Ive got some recipes for tanning and want to try my hand at that too.

Anyhoo I look forward to meeting people here and reading stories and sharing experiances and Ideas and keep this awesome hobby going.

Welcome Cuz =) Nice work on the .270. My PTA is in for my .22 (should be done in the next week or so) and will be saving my arse off for a .22-250.

Will have to organise a trip to the range ;)

Welcome Cuz =) Nice work on the .270. My PTA is in for my .22 (should be done in the next week or so) and will be saving my arse off for a .22-250.

Will have to organise a trip to the range ;)

I just dropped by your profile before seeing this. ha ha. Oh well it will make some sense still.

G'Day all

I am a semi-retired bloke currently living in Geelong.

I used to do a little shooting and a couple of years ago I met up with some blokes from NEDSA and the president took me out for a walk in the woods.

I had a great time even if I never took a shot.

I would really like to get into some serious Sambar stalking but it is hard to get into the field when you sold your truck to pay for the wedding, I ski in the winter, avid bushwalker used to climb a bit.

I am a trained cook, used to work as a chef and I build speakers for a hobby.

Great site and glad to be here.

Would like to hear from any Geelong members who travell up to the high plains for hunting, I use a SMLE Longbranch in 308 and would love to get a 35 -303 or a 35 Whelen for Sambar

Regards

ted