G'day from - VIC

Hi I'm Kelly from Noble Park.

I'm new to all this and am waiting for my gun licence.

I'm hoping to make friends and meet fellow hunters to go fox & rabbit hunting with.

I want to begin by helping rid Australia of foxes and rabbits, and then one day when I'm a great hunter, I hope to get a deer/boar/kangaroo and have a BBQ.

I'm interested in Taxidermy, and would like to make a fox fur bedspread one day (a lot of foxes I know) and make rabbit fur cushion covers.

I respect all animals and I don't like the idea of wasting them.

*** when I'm a great hunter**** we are all hoping to get that way

welcome to the forum Kelly, get down to the range to get started is a god option. http://ssaavic.com.au/SSAA.php?id=127

Like your ideas on not wasting any part of the animal- When you want to step up to a deer visit either an ADA (details http://www.austdeer.com.au/index.php) meeting or the ssaa deerstalkers (link http://www.ssaavic.com.au/SSAA.php?id=100) . This could save some time as one skin would make a bed spread but it might be a little heavy. are you looking at a .17hmr or similar rifle to start?

Best of luck.

G'day All:

Very much an honor and pleasure to join you folks on the forum. I moved here from a neighboring country which I'll not name, where ironically, the sambar (my target species and fascination) once roamed freely. Draconian gun laws limit firearm ownership to the privileged or greasy-palmed few, but that didn't stop the demise of that wonderful creature there. They have been declared protected and endangered species by the Game (mis-) Management people there, but no one in their ranks can tell you anything about the sambar there, because they sit on their *sses and do nothing, except show the privileged and greasy-palmed few where to shoot them. I was giddy with joy, when I found out the care and concern by all parties involved with managing the sambar (and other animals) in Australia - although I know nothing is ever perfect. The gun laws here, while tight compared to other countries, are MILES ahead in terms of the balance between thoughtfulness, liberty, and civil governance. Here, I am more than happy to be a law-abiding firearm user, and an ethical sambar hunter, because I have seen firsthand what happens when mismanagement and corruption rules ones' life. I hope to learn from the forum, and in time, to have something to share too. Stay safe out there.

rgds,

Sirusa

Mulgrave, VIC

Edited by sirusa

G'day All:

Very much an honor and pleasure to join you folks on the forum. I moved here from a neighboring country which I'll not name, where ironically, the sambar (my target species and fascination) once roamed freely. Draconian gun laws limit firearm ownership to the privileged or greasy-palmed few, but that didn't stop the demise of that wonderful creature there. They have been declared protected and endangered species by the Game (mis-) Management people there, but no one in their ranks can tell you anything about the sambar there, because they sit on their *sses and do nothing, except show the privileged and greasy-palmed few where to shoot them. I was giddy with joy, when I found out the care and concern by all parties involved with managing the sambar (and other animals) in Australia - although I know nothing is ever perfect. The gun laws here, while tight compared to other countries, are MILES ahead in terms of the balance between thoughtfulness, liberty, and civil governance. Here, I am more than happy to be a law-abiding firearm user, and an ethical sambar hunter, because I have seen firsthand what happens when mismanagement and corruption rules ones' life. I hope to learn from the forum, and in time, to have something to share too. Stay safe out there.

rgds,

Sirusa

Mulgrave, VIC

Welcome Sirusa

interesting to hear of deer management from overseas or even from state to state here. Victoria has some of the best deer hunting with a range of deer able to be taken making us one of the best kept secrets in the world in some ways. Getting your licenses, permit and rifle is relatively straight forward. Finding the perfect place to hunt takes a little more effort.

The ADA has a Property based game management program which got me started. You might like to start by joining the Australian Deer Association http://www.austdeer.com.au or the SSAA deer stalkers club. http://www.ssaavic.com.au/SSAA.php?id=100 and meet a lot of like minded people.

Welcome Sirusa

interesting to hear of deer management from overseas or even from state to state here. Victoria has some of the best deer hunting with a range of deer able to be taken making us one of the best kept secrets in the world in some ways. Getting your licenses, permit and rifle is relatively straight forward. Finding the perfect place to hunt takes a little more effort.

The ADA has a Property based game management program which got me started. You might like to start by joining the Australian Deer Association http://www.austdeer.com.au or the SSAA deer stalkers club. http://www.ssaavic.com.au/SSAA.php?id=100 and meet a lot of like minded people.

Pracman, hi. Yes I have every intention of joining the ADA. Still waiting for my firearms license to arrive - should be in a week more. Thereafter I will surely sign up. I visited the booth and met some of the members during the recent SHOT show, quite impressed! I also bought a copy of Mr. Ken Pearce's 'Walking Them Up' which I've studied religiously since, and now I'm even more convinced that the ADA is the club for me. I am already a member of the SSAA Vic, which I joined for the sake of the license, and also to meet fellow shooters and hunters. Yes, Victoria is unbelievable. When I tell about Vic sambar hunting rules to my friends in Europe and US, they never fail to fall off their chairs or turn green with envy!! IMHO, every hunter/outdoorsman/woman should join SSAA or ADA and such, because we have to unite to preserve what we have. See you out there sometime!

gday boys.. names hayden.. just gotten in shooting in the last 6 months.. yet to get my licence but (safety course 5th july).. anyways ill be mainly hunting sambar, rabbits, foxes, roos and pigs.. look forward to talking more on the forums

Gday from Eric The Red. I'm interested in reloading, target shooting and feral shooting with my 17HMR Savage, .223 & 6.5X55 Tikka Varmints. I have been shooting for a five years and am getting more interested in reloading. This site has grown since I last looked so I'm interested in reading what Aussie reloaders/hunters are up to. ETR

Hey guys

I'm looking at getting back into hunting fairly soon. I don't own a gun yet but i'm looking at getting a .22 for the bunnies and foxes, and something a bit bigger for Pigs, Deer and Roo's. It's been almost a decade since i shot anything, but Pigs and a Bunnies will be what i'll be going for mainly.

Rocksy

Hi all,

I just got myself a .22 a little while ago and am keen to hunt some rabbits and also foxes. My dad has a property out bush where i know there are some but last time i was done i couldn't find any of the little blighters despite seeing a couple of warrens. Hopefully i can get some tips here that will help me find them.

G'day, my name is Olly and am from Pheasant Creek, have been around hunting and shooting for most of my life and am here for a slightly different reason, I am after contact name for contract shooters,

I am wanting to buy vermin in bulk to turn into pet food, doesnt only have to be from victoria.

Hopefully someone can give me some good leads to follow up on.

Thanks

Olly