G'day from - VIC

Gidday all,

I am just about to turn 50 and new to forums etc so here goes.

Started hunting back in the 70's and bought my 1st gun, a double barrel side b side for 20 bucks and my 2nd , a 303 not long after. Found out pretty quickly that the shotty was a better weapon for shooting rabbits if you wanted to eat them. The 303 was great on foxes, roos and the odd feral cat but not great on the shoulder until I learnt to shoot it properly... Believe me, I was a quick learner.

Joined the army in my teens and was introduced to other weapons outside of what the army was teaching me to shoot plus got taken out chasing pigs and goats and to culls the odd roo, donkey, brumby and dog (dingo) on a few farms.

Came home with a Ruger mini 14 in SS (handed in when the by back came) and a sporterised 30.06 in 98 mauser, which I still have.

Have added a Bruno 22 and a Browning A bolt in 30.06 since and recently began hunting deer after not really hunting anything for close to 20 years. My eldest son (Juniorhunter) got me back into hunting a couple of years back and I haven't looked back.

I am really enjoying being back in the bush and have made a resolution to shoot a grand slam in a single year before I turn 60. Not fussed about trophies but if they come along I will take them with open arms.

Hey guys just droping in to say g'day umm just starting out doing a bit of shooting mainly roos rabbits and foxes

buying the old mans 05 patrol so hopefully set that up and get out there and have a go.

cheerz happy

i hunt sambar deer, my latest rifle is the remington pump police 308, for those face to face incounters, i live in south eastern suburbs of melbourne, i also love paddock shooting with the spot light,

Hi Samburstalker, welcome to AusHunt. Do I know you? The name seems familiar.

Grant

G'day to all.

I hail from east vic.

Do a lot of pest animal work, but the passion is being in the bush and learning about deer behaviour.

I am sure a lot of hunters enjoy a good feed of vension (Whats not to like), we as a family eat it as our main meat.

When i harvest, butcher and prep the meat i know the animal was not stressed, starved or otherwise miss treated. Happy deer happy deer, Dead and in the pot.

Respect the bush and the critters.

Happy Hunting to all.

Stay left.

Longrod

Hello, my name is Mark and I am about to open a new dedicated hunting retail outlet in Drouin called Gippsland Hunting Professionals, hence the name "GHP".

We will be opening the new store on Saturday 10th April at 259 Princes Way, Drouin, all welcome. We have been sadly lacking a hunting store in this area for many years so I hope this is good news for all the hunters in the area.

We have access to a huge range of leading brand hunting equipment and already have a large inventory on hand.

Brands include Leica, Swarovski, Leupold, Khales, Vixen, Stoney Creek, Ridgeline, Hunters Element, Badlands, Swandri, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Light Force and many others. A great range of knives from many manufacturers will be available. We also sell and repair Stihl chainsaws!

I am a keen hunter, particulary Sambar and enjoy comparing and using optics so please ask for a look through as many scopes and bino's as you can, we will stock plenty for that reason.

Our aim is to provide Gippsland hunters with the biggest range of equipment to suit all budgets at the most competitive prices, please let us know your best price so we can do our best to beat or at least match it!

We are currently in the process of obtaining our ammunition license so unfortunately will not be ready to sell ammo on the open day, should be early May.

We will not sell rifles at this stage, maybe down the track.

Look forward to meeting local AusHunt members soon...

Cheers Mark

Good luck with it Mark. Will drop in for a sticky beak when im down next. Any reports on quails in the area? They have been hard to track this season & received a

tip off that they have been found in Gippsland. Any word.

Gooday all,

I am interested in opinion on using scouting cameras around Vic for Samba or even fallow. Do you think it is cheating (American style!)to use these cameras or a good tool? What brands do you think are best?

Any info greatly appreciated...!

hey everyone, im nick i have 410 rossi, browning A-bold .270 and a savage 17hmr my main animal i love to hunt is deer but ur got to love the spot lighting nights for rabbits n foxes well hope use can give some more tips that woulod be great.

cheers nick