G'day from - VIC

6 hours ago, Wato said:

Hi I am new to the site, from vic like fine rifles and custom built ones 

love hunting, the mountains and most will places where vehicles cannot go

Welcome Wato!

Gday guys. My name is Reuben. I run a Tikka T3 .270w, a Ruger American .22lr, and a Beretta 686 shotgun. I also have a Martin Jaguar takedown recurve that is gathering dust. Interested in backpack hike hunts for deer in the mountains, fox and rabbit control shooting. 

I am a career chef for the last decade, now making the switch to building. Just moved back to Victoria after 6 years in the NSW Snowy Mountains.

Edited by Trader
More info

I watch a lot of YouTube and just now I came across this video that was posted about a year ago. 

This is how I came to join this forum. Everything about “the hunt” makes the hunt the reason. Hunting is a pursuit for so many reasons, and those reasons differ from person to person  enormously. To hear someone say “I’ve been coming to the Gatta for 8 years and only ever taken one shot and missed” and see the huge grin on their face, you just know that he’ll keep going back because the hunt is the reason. it’s the reason he is out in the bush. it’s the reason he is learning to stalk.  It’s the reason he is learning to harvest. it’s the reason he is sitting around that campfire, and so on and so forth. The hunt is the sum of all these things and many many more put together  

I have always wanted to hunt. As a kid when I’d hear someone talk about it I’d be in awe.  Never grew up around it. Family detested guns. It was never encouraged. Fishing was the only hunting I could do. I’m 50 now. And it’s time to hunt. I’m balls deep in this thing. I’ve just got my license. PTA is only but a couple of days away from coming through so I can pick up my Tikka 308. I think I’ve watched every video on YouTube on Deer hunting in Victoria. I can’t thank these guys enough for going to the effort to film (which I’m sure hinders the hunt) narrate, edit and post these videos and tutorials. It’s amazing how much can be learnt from watching them. I’ve been a 4wd’er camper for a looong time. But now, oh I’m just so dam excited. 

I have some close  friends who have helped me to get prepared to this point. We have been on a few stalks where I’ve been armed only with a camera. As I swap the camera for a rifle I just can’t wait for the adventures to come. Long hikes into and over numerous valleys, trekking through dense scrub in the blistering heat or the bitter cold, surviving out of a back pack, trying to outsmart the survival instinct of an animal that has evolved to elude one of the most dangerous predators on the planet.  In doing so I will continue to enjoy the magnificent splendour of the wonderful state of Victoria (and beyond). I will learn things about myself. How determined or lazy I am. How fit or unfit I am. How patient or impatient I am. How strong or how weak I am. I will learn what I am versus what I want to be. I will meet other people who in 100 lives I would have nothing else in common with but still be able to build a stronger bond over one campfire than I could  working in an office next to them for a year. The hunt is the reason all of these things will play out in my immediate future. Good times ahead. 

Thanks in advance to all the contributors to this forum  look forward to adding my experience as a newbie for your entertainment. 

I’m going to go for a look around here now. If there are any threads you guys recommend for newbies pls let me know. Kindest regards Chris K. 

• Like 4