Jump to content

Hello from - Overseas


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BoCo said:

Howdy,

 

I hail from the Republic of Texas, took my first deer at 9, sparking my passion for the outdoors. Since then i've hunted in europe, when i lived there for work, earning the coveted German Jagdschein. Lately, i've hunted out in the Western part of US chasing Elk, Mule deer, Oryx, and Auodad. With the rise in popularity of hunting out west, the cost of applying to the various states, has gotten my hunting partner and i looking international. I  come here hoping to learn more about the aussie public land, rules, culture, make contacts, and ideally do an 'exchange' hunt - show us the ropes of hunting down under, and the same or next year we'll do a group hunt on US public land. This coming fall - aussie spring - we are applying for Wyoming general elk, Arizona mule deer, New Mexico Elk/Oryx/Auodad/White tail. This sounds like alot of hunting but with each states unique application system, we'll likely pull the Wyoming tags, and one New Mexico tag. 

 

This past year we had tags for idaho elk, a bison tag on tribal indian land,  and NM Orxy and Auodad tags.

G'day mate,

Welcome to the site, Victoria is your best bet for diy hunting. For about $60 USD you can get a non resident license for deer, duck and quail. 

Prior to checking this forum just now I was looking at options for hunting aoudad next year, wondering if I can combine it with a whitetail hunt. Building points in WY myself but not ready to burn them yet. 

Those oryx tags in NM are hard to draw, love to hear about that and other hunts you have done. 

Happy to offer advice or lend a hand if need be over here anyway mate.

GSP

P.s. just finished reading Empire of the summer moon and currently reading Blood and Thunder. You texas boys are another breed of Americans altogether that's for sure! 

Edited by GSPhunter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GSPhunter said:

G'day mate,

Welcome to the site, Victoria is your best bet for diy hunting. For about $60 USD you can get a non resident license for deer, duck and quail. 

Prior to checking this forum just now I was looking at options for hunting aoudad next year, wondering if I can combine it with a whitetail hunt. Building points in WY myself but not ready to burn them yet. 

Those oryx tags in NM are hard to draw, love to hear about that and other hunts you have done. 

Happy to offer advice or lend a hand if need be over here anyway mate.

GSP

P.s. just finished reading Empire of the summer moon and currently reading Blood and Thunder. You texas boys are another breed of Americans altogether that's for sure! 

@GSPhunter   New Mexico offers OTC (Over The Counter - just show up and purchase) Aoudad licenses, that are good for one year from 1 april until 31 march., so yes you could combine Aoudad/White tail. Note that you might not have to do a bit of driving, as not every unit is OTC for Aoudad. The oryx Non-resident tag is extremely hard, however my mate (hunting partner) is still on active duty, and the state sets aside tags for military in GMU 28, so the odds are much much higher. In new mexico for this coming fall we are applying for elk in GMU 34, which boarders 28 on the North. If you google Cloudcroft, Timberon or Mayfield(i think thats the town) New mexico this will give you an idea of the unit. I saw in the Deer forum the annual hunt in wonnangatta, what are your thoughts on this - given the fire this year.

As for other hunts we've done: 

2008-2010 Texas private land, was owned by a fellow colleague.

2010 Colorado First rifle Season, just North of Hayden, CO in the Routt National Forest

2012-2015 various locations in europe

2016 Idaho - Frank Church Wilderness of no return - bloody miserable place. it makes the vic high country look like sand dunes.

2017 Wells, Nevada elk hunt

2018 Southern Idaho on the Nevada border Elk & Northern Arizona mule deer in the "az strip"

2019 middle of idaho, Elk / Bison in South Dakota / Oryx and Aoudad in southern New Mexico along the Texas border

@Seb Thanks for the info! any info on how to find land owners will to allow tresspass?

5 hours ago, Seb said:

Hi BoCo

If you want to hunt the southern state of Victoria for Sambar deer 

-Gain a visitor firearm licence for state of Victoria

-Buy a game licence from the 'Game management authority' ($55 dollars I think)

-Borrow a gun once you're here.

This lets you hunt as many deer as you want at any time of year on most public land.

 

If you want to hunt Water buffalo up north it's a little trickier as in most cases you need to find private property.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello All

Love to hunt with rifle, shotgun and rod.

Working class lad from the North of England.

Hunt mainly in Scotland. Have hunted in the Northern Territories.

Got my McNab in the NT.

Big boar with the rifle.

Brace of Magpie geese with the shotgun.

Barramundi with the rod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brookladdie said:

Hello All

Love to hunt with rifle, shotgun and rod.

Working class lad from the North of England.

Hunt mainly in Scotland. Have hunted in the Northern Territories.

Got my McNab in the NT.

Big boar with the rifle.

Brace of Magpie geese with the shotgun.

Barramundi with the rod.

And a good taste in whisky I surmise. 

Hunted Scotland once myself for roe buck, didn't manage to take one but is certainly a beautiful place. 

Welcome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there, I'm from The Netherlands, 59, and have been a competative air rifle shooter for many year. Since a couple of years i've become interested in hunting and have done a fair amount of CF and shotgun shooting. A couple of years ago i was on a deer hunt in NZ and it sparked my interest in the great outdoors hunting experience. As soon as this covid thing allows relaxed travelling i intend on visiting VIC and SA and maybe do some shooting. In preparation i will be scanning this forum so i can get a feeling with the Oz shooting and hunting world. Always interested in meeting people and learning things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Josan said:

Hi there, I'm from The Netherlands, 59, and have been a competative air rifle shooter for many year. Since a couple of years i've become interested in hunting and have done a fair amount of CF and shotgun shooting. A couple of years ago i was on a deer hunt in NZ and it sparked my interest in the great outdoors hunting experience. As soon as this covid thing allows relaxed travelling i intend on visiting VIC and SA and maybe do some shooting. In preparation i will be scanning this forum so i can get a feeling with the Oz shooting and hunting world. Always interested in meeting people and learning things.

Keep an eye on the wonnangatta hunt, normally held in may.  You could be the 2nd bloke from overseas to attend.

 

Search "wonnangatta 2017",  "wonnangatta 2019" etc to check out the threads

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, samburstalker said:

Keep an eye on the wonnangatta hunt, normally held in may.  You could be the 2nd bloke from overseas to attend.

 

Search "wonnangatta 2017",  "wonnangatta 2019" etc to check out the threads

Wow, shure looks nice. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the announcements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...