Is Putting a Spotlight through the roof the best option?

Jimbob

Hey, I own a 92 Hilux single cab lifted ute and am determined to put my spot through the roof. I have always used a handheld spot from the back. I own a powerbeam 100watt 175mm handheld. Are the other options rubbish? and should I just bore a hole through my roof and attach a bracket and handle? And is there a cheaper place to buy the powerbeam handle on the net as they are expensive at local stores? Cheers

Jim

If I were u I would try a suction cup roof mount system as I use one on my work ute as the boss doesnt want a hole in the roof and this system works fine.I havent had any trouble but u have to watch the speed at which u drive as wind pressure can sometimes loosen the grip i stay under 40km an hour between paddocks and it works fine.If u are keeping your vechile then put a hole in the roof but remember unless another shooter buys it u will lose a bit of resale value later on it.

Cheers Harehunter

Hey, I own a 92 Hilux single cab lifted ute and am determined to put my spot through the roof. I have always used a handheld spot from the back. I own a powerbeam 100watt 175mm handheld. Are the other options rubbish? and should I just bore a hole through my roof and attach a bracket and handle? And is there a cheaper place to buy the powerbeam handle on the net as they are expensive at local stores? Cheers

Jim

Attach a single roof rack cross piece and attach the spotlight to it. Just operate it from the drivers window. Saves putting a hole through the ceiling of the car.

I was never going to put a light through my roof but i picked up a roof with a hole already in it for a carton of beer and put one through. best thing i ever did i reckon especially in winter. both people in the cab can use the light so the other can shoot and won't fall off when you speed up. they can be a bit of a pain if you have some one sitting in the middle though. I have found the Blazza light handle to be the pick of bunch. I hope this helps happy spotlighting

Hey JIMBOB,If your rig is a 92 model it aint gonna make any difference to it's resale value if you got a hole in the roof! It is definately more comfortable in winter as apposed to hanging your arm out the window with a roof rack or similar mount(WHICH I HAVE ON MY 3yr old rig)Also your field of vision increaces too i recon.If there are two of you you can share the duties as well.Go for it.Make it neat and waterproof.

Cheers Smithy

Attach a single roof rack cross piece and attach the spotlight to it. Just operate it from the drivers window. Saves putting a hole through the ceiling of the car.

I concur.

For what it's worth, I have a work issue AWD which gets replaced every 60,000km (8-12 months), I really can't set up anything too permanent. To add to the problem, the makes and model vary too. So as a consequence I purchased a temporary unit made by Lightforce that has the suction caps securing a bar on the roof. Works a treat.

A slight difference of opinion Drew!.Guess it also depends how long you intend to hang onto the vehicle you own.

Cheers SMITHY

i have hole in the roof of my cruiser. brilliant.

Blazalight handles are the go. Had powabeam handles in my last 2 and wasnt a fan.

the other option to the 30-30 through the roof is one used by many shooters and pig chasers here. simple and efective for the single cab. it is simply a steel arm bolted or welded to the drivers side of the head board. the arm goes up on an angle to the hieght of the roof and then a piece of flat steel parallel to the roof which the handle is mounted through. some even have it interchangeable to the passenger side so your mate can spot while you drive.

will tryt and get a photo for you.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate all off your suggestions and help. I think I will put a hole through soon as its gettn cold here now and it is an older vehicle, I think i will keep it for many years anyway. Sometimes i just really dont want to put a hole through, maybe after a beer or too i will, or 15 and hopefully wont regret it. Happy Hunting guys, cap a few for us

Cheers

:D

Jimbob

Jimbob

I made a simplish window mount bracket for the spotlight. Works alright, but where i shoot is very hilly and the roof gets in the way when trying to get the light down a gully on the LH side. You still end up with a frozen hand and you can't wind the window up.

Used a mates roof mount, much much better. Mine will prob get a hole in the roof soon.

I thought the local shops prices are pretty good. I checked out a gun store in Gosford a while ago, when i was looking for my HMR, end up buying the same gun, $200.00 cheaper in Tamworth! Try Tamworth Firearm, always been very good to me.

Lightforce 240 blitz and remote unit $250-$300 just make sure u get the hole right as once its in its hard to fill

1S1K

Thanks heaps. All your suggestions have been helpful. Happy hunting. :D

Jimbob

my mate has a ute with the light through the roof and he hates it. it gets in the way and if you have an accident it stuffs the roof up. also if you dont put it in properly it will rust and let water in. i have a suction base light support and it does the same trick. plus it way easier to put on. it doesnt get in the way and u can just take it off when your finished. my mate has to keep taking the light off to go any where. have have shooting and hunting and the choice is yours.

The Blazzalight handle just screws off leaving the ball joint in the roof. And the light can unbolt leaving the handle and ball joint or just the handle depends on what you take off. No needs for grommets fairly quick to pull apart too.

Hey guys, I put in a Blazzalight handle yeaterday and seems ok. I cleaned the hole well and wired the light up. Works Well, the powerbeam handle also looked good but seemed bulky, even though it folds up I thought the Blazzalight was the better option for my vehicle.

Cheers