home-made Yowie suit

it might seem extreme for some, but believe me when trying to stalk within 20m of a deer with a recurve bow it makes all the dif being able to survive one 'stare' at least.

i can't afford those expensive ghillie suits (some of which don't survive getting dragged through spikey Aussie scrub and are meant for USA pine forest) so made my own.

if you have the money i'd recommend buying a suit unless you have a lotta time on hands (i don't but didn't really have a lotta choice) or access to someone with a sewing machine etc as it takes a lotta stitching.

i just bought some cheap beige/khaki workwear, painted it in black, green and brown similar to ASAT pattern, sowed in strips of cut up auscam and hessian, thrashed the hessian with a wire brush and rubbed camo cream (same colours as paint, auscam) into hessian.

the suit in pic (not a good pic as raining outside so indoor pic) will look better after a few days in scrub when hessian is weathered some. the best thing about hessian is that is does weather (wear out and look ratty and real natural) but that's also the worst aspect as you have to do what i just finished doing prior to pic - sowing more in (which constantly must keep doing - upgrading as wears away).

i did a similar thing with old green Aussie army bush hat (with a couple emu plumes for good measure (i was bored out bush one day when midday during heat)) and i use a bit of auscam scrim as a scarf around neck that i pull over face when i think game is close.

labour intensive but cheap and works well - just ask a few dead goats.

hope this is of interest for someone?

Edited by hawkeye

just jokin mate -- looks the goods - hows it handle the hot weather ?? no point in being invisible if your dripping with sweat and they can smell ya from a mile off

hessian's really light Balty and it's wonderful to wear in winter.

in summer the only animal (pigs are nocturnal here in SW West Aust) i'll ever be hunting during the heat of day will be goats and during the hottest part of day i'll be sitting in shade and scoping and not walking about like a mad hatter so no worries.

climbing over barbed wire fences is the worst thing about wearing it.

wearing hoods is hot and putting cam cream on face in summer is a sweaty yucky mess - the scrim scarf bit is good for ventilation.

Edited by hawkeye

thats some nice work you done there and i think you have more patience than i to make that up

just a thought though if you sew strips of cloth (ends only) to make little flat loops on the shirt etc then as a piece of hessian wears out you only need to re-tie a new piece to it instead of sewing it on

hope that makes sense

cheers

thanks olga13 - food for thought for sure.

often wondered about glue??

what kinda glue w/could possibly replace sewing/loops???

loops could then be used for a bit of specific native shrubbery when hunting maybe?

what glue is non-stinky and strong for fabric etc?

anything to replace all that stitchwork be great.

Edited by hawkeye

No wonder they call em yowie suits, you would scare the bejesus out of me if i bumped into you wearing that suit on a dark night. Good job, i reckon you would blend into the aussie scrub no worries.

thanks olga13 - food for thought for sure.

often wondered about glue??

what kinda glue w/could possibly replace sewing/loops???

loops could then be used for a bit of specific native shrubbery when hunting maybe?

what glue is non-stinky and strong for fabric etc?

anything to replace all that stitchwork be great.

got a sniper book the other day an they make theirs with hessian hot glued to pre made jacket

they also attach elasticised loops sporatically over the jacket to add natural foliage as they go

what glue did they use Balty - the correct glue would make making yowie suits a quick and easy job?

yeah - i'm sold on loops and will put some in - some sorta black elastic i'd gather? just imagine being in Pilbara region of WA and putting spinifex in loops and bobbing down - scrub cattle/camels would walk right over the top of ya i'd imagine.

just imagine being in Pilbara region of WA and putting spinifex in loops and bobbing down - scrub cattle/camels would walk right over the top of ya i'd imagine.

just hope they dont stop to drop of a little of their own camoflage with added scent :lol::lol:

cheers

A credit it to you HE

Hey i was wondering if you could sew velcro pads all over or at the least in the most strategic possies and then simply attach your leafy bits and change colours according to the terrain say from deserty rocky sandy to green leafy bushy stuff.

One strip would cover waist to knee another from there down etc...??? Yes ?? No????

you could gryph but you know how noisy the harder side of the velcro can be rubbing on things

and if you got a hook up on one of the patches any game in the area would get a nice "sccrrrrreeeeep" as the velcro's patch came off

In the book i have at the min its suprising how well the weathered hessian blends with most of the different scenery -- Hazedog has a download somewhere i think of an Ex Us bloke showing you how to make em -- I will see if i can get it off him for ya's

Making a Ghillie suit is part of the testing for a prospective sniper -- i reckon a bloody good test of the applicants patience haha