What is a good value gun safe?

patrickarmidale

Only 2 rifles.......

Don't limit yourself by getting small safe now and then have to buy a larger on in 1 or 2 years when your collection grows (and it will) as you 'll end up spend far more.

I figure an 8 rifle safe would be a good first safe and cover my purchases for a few years. B)

Have a look at foxsafe.com.au for purpose built rifle safes.

I've also got a Lokaway. Cost me $300 from Horsley Park GS.

It's not too big, I think they say it can hold about 5 or 6 rifles but that would be craming them in. I would say you can hold 3 (with scopes) at a comfy fit and still be able to reach them all easily.

I got the shorter version of the L1 that does not have the internal ammo safe. You can get a slighter taller one that has the internal ammo safe but it's thinner and doesn't hold as many guns (if I remember rightly). Both were the same price from HPGS.

I am happy with it overall, and it was at the price I wanted to pay.

I've got a lockaway, Australian Made and Owned, with a locking mechanism and door that you cant even open with a crowbar and the price is pretty good too. Go to their website and there is a list of all the dealers that have them.

http://www.sdta.net.au

Lokaway are a great safe highly recommended

I went halves with my old man a just over a year ago an a 10-15 gun Foxsafe was about $600 + a few bolts to put it in so just over $300.00 and then I had to but a smaller one for my place as a transit safe.

Gunner

You will eventually buy more guns. Personally id buy a C class safe, that holds upto 8. Maybe one day we might get an opportunity to get pump/semi auto shoties back. (C class)

I've got the Lokaway 4 (I think?) gun safe. Only got two rifles at the moment, both scoped. The design of the door is good for security but it can be a bit of a pain to get the rifles out without belting the scopes.

In hindsight I would of got a larger model, but it does the job for now.

I went halves with my old man a just over a year ago an a 10-15 gun Foxsafe was about $600 + a few bolts to put it in so just over $300.00 and then I had to but a smaller one for my place as a transit safe.

i hope you are not sharing the safe with your dad

i know here in sa it illegal to have guns in a safe that are owned by more than one person because you have access to someone elses firearms unless you have written permmision from the owner or if for more than ten days you need to fill out a pta type form from the police station even a husband and wife cannot share a gun safe if the guns are in different names in short one safe one owner

cheers

i hope you are not sharing the safe with your dad

i know here in sa it illegal to have guns in a safe that are owned by more than one person because you have access to someone elses firearms unless you have written permmision from the owner or if for more than ten days you need to fill out a pta type form from the police station even a husband and wife cannot share a gun safe if the guns are in different names in short one safe one owner

cheers

It's all good here in NSW as long as the safe has been inspected and the person at the location of the safe is licenced. When we fill in our PTA's the registry asks where our rifles are to be kept. I was told to keep a copy of the rego papers with the the rifles so if the police were to turn up for a random inspection they can run the numbers and see that they are legit.

Gunner

You will eventually buy more guns. Personally id buy a C class safe, that holds upto 8. Maybe one day we might get an opportunity to get pump/semi auto shoties back. (C class)

I dont think I will be seeing that in my lifetime. :P The semi Autos being made legal that is.

Edited by mickgibbo

I dont think I will be seeing that in my lifetime. :P

i thought the same thing i told the wife that about two grand should see me right to get two rifles but like a woman in a clothes store i changed my mind a few times and spent 3 1/2 grand and now she has let me get two air rifles but i still keep on about getting a shotty that i am sure will happen but dont know when yet

so in short wanted two will end up with five

cheers

I am lucky in that I make my own gun safe from 3mm mild steel.I have made heaps of them now,and sell them for $350.They hold 6 rifles,and have a separate internal storage for ammo.I currently have 3 sitting here waiting to go,so if you are interested,PM me.I am located in Boronia,Vic.

I am lucky in that I make my own gun safe from 3mm mild steel.I have made heaps of them now,and sell them for $350.They hold 6 rifles,and have a separate internal storage for ammo.I currently have 3 sitting here waiting to go,so if you are interested,PM me.I am located in Boronia,Vic.

thnksfor the offer mate but unfortunately i spend my time between brisbane and northern nsw.