Pig Sticking Knife

timber_man

They really all do the job but is there some that are a bit better, stronger, easily sharpened than others, hold their edge ?

I use an old army bayonet --never let me down.

How do you rate the Meula stickers jdee

I am not a great fan of stainless steel for heavy work like pig sticking mainly because unless you know how it has been heat treated it can be either too brittle or lack strength - that's why the bayonets are so good they are all made from carbon steel and they are made for heavy duty and thats why Svord and Dewey are also good Svord is carbon (I guess O-1) and Dewey I believe is D2. Most Muelas I've seen overall have differing standards some good some bad I can't find any consistency in their production but then again some people swear by them.

If you want something that wont break and only needs to be sharpened once a year then get what I use a Mission MPK.

hows that knife go speedy?,, i really prefer a "sticker" (long pointy blade) for sticking pigs.

i guess that knife is more suited for dressing, etc.

The blade is 10” of solid Titanium and holds an edge like nothing else. I just jam it down at the base of the neck and the broad blade does a lot of damage and they bleed out very quick kind of like an old fashioned boar spear.

MPK

I use a Dexter Russell 6" backswept boner for sticking...razor sharp!

I prefer the backswept design because it also makes the knife more suitable for dressing out...

Ed

Oh, and I stick it it the same place Speedy does...in the throat, just ahead of the breastbone, with the sharp edge down and at about a 45 degree angle to the backbone...then, levering against the breastbone (so the handle goes towards the back legs and the blade towards the spine), I cut towards the first rib on each side, so the incision is vaguely 'arrow shaped'...this cuts both carotid arteries and the jugular vein...bleed-out is very, very quick!

post-14-1141335281.jpg

Hello folks,

i bought a hunting knife off ebay for 20 buks. 440 Stainless Steel.

The knife is not as sharp as i would like it. in fact it is no where near sharp enough to cut through skin, nor paper.

would anyone know a place in sydney that i could take my knife to get Sharpened like a razor? if so how much would it usually cost?

Thank you for your help

Hello folks,

i bought a hunting knife off ebay for 20 buks. 440 Stainless Steel.

The knife is not as sharp as i would like it. in fact it is no where near sharp enough to cut through skin, nor paper.

would anyone know a place in sydney that i could take my knife to get Sharpened like a razor? if so how much would it usually cost?

Thank you for your help

I'd sharpen it for you too! Be careful who you get to sharpen it as these days there are a lot of "cowboys" around who seem to all claim to be ex-butchers. It's also hard to find a butcher who can sharpen knives these days - I don't know what it is like in Sydney but down here my biggest customers are butchers as they just don't pass on the skills any more. Your best bet is a Knifemaker many of them have turned to blade sharpening to subsidise their craft.

Well mate i can tell you both Fizza and myself are qualified buttchers (can post trade cert up here if you like) and sharpening a knife is something that you must learn yourself. Like alot of things you can be shown or instructed in the fundamentals but you will come up with a way that works for you,

Would love to watch butchers work that cant sharpen a knife the must have arms like popeye.

jack.gif

Send em out the abs to tally bone and the will learn to sharpen one

I use a fdick dual edge but i see alot of people saying you need stronger and the like?????????????????plz explain i used mine for an average of twenty pigs a week whilst living up north and never had a prob, if you get all silly and try to use it as a sword,can opener,hammer,axe or any other purpose for wich it is not desighned it will not perform as it should, this would not be the knifes fualt but the goose at the end.

Grab ya hog, roll him place the knife 4th rib back a and push it in (if its sharp it will go) no need to swing like a phsyco or drive it home with a hammer unless you dont know what your doing or your knife is blunt,

Thommo

Things must be different in NSW re the butchering trade as down here the majority of "butchers" or should I say people who work in butcher shops cant dont or wont sharpen their own knives. I know one bloke who makes a living out of going around the shops in the bush sharpening knives. I am not talking about the blokes working in the meat works they are a different breed although from time to time I sharpen knives for some them esp., those who are chicken boners. And as far as butchers go it is not the current generation it is also the previous generation so the knowledge is not being passed down. It is a sad state of affairs when you cant get your knife sharpened at the butcher shop anymore.

I'd sharpen it for you too! Be careful who you get to sharpen it as these days there are a lot of "cowboys" around who seem to all claim to be ex-butchers. It's also hard to find a butcher who can sharpen knives these days - I don't know what it is like in Sydney but down here my biggest customers are butchers as they just don't pass on the skills any more.

oh well, i'll stay out of it then, was just trying to help a bloke out

Firstly i would only stick pigs with high velocity lead! Anyone one who uses a knife is either f@#*n mad or has balls the size of my missus arse!

As for sharpening knives get yourself a lansky sharpening kit has a holder / jig and stones good edge evey time

anyone use FOX knives have a nice folder good for skinning holds edge ok for s/s

hard to find a nice fitting knife in good steel

Anyone one who uses a knife is either f@#*n mad or has balls the size of my missus arse!

lol You are a game man madk1w1 lol :D:D:D