Laws On Compound Bows

nook

hey last weekend we went out and had a bit of target practice with the rifles and a mate of mine brung along

a compound bow and i had a few shots and i liked it alot and was thinking of getting into it and doing a bit of hunting and i was wondering whats the laws on compound bows in QLD and whats a good set up going to set me back

cheers nick

Not sure on the QLD laws but a good compound with sights, etc. is going to set you back around a $1000.00. Like rifles and shotguns the sky is the limit! You could pickup a little used second hand one for half of that if lucky. Don't get sucked into buying the fastest bow you can get as they are a little less forgiving for first time users, better to score a good hit with less arrow speed than a miss with a faster arrow!

Cheers,

Waldo

Just buy your bow and have fun, there are no laws against that. There are no laws that relate to compound bows specifically at all in fact. What you do have though is laws that relate to how you use it. You will be treated like you deserve if you use it in a threatening manner (just like anything else) or if you use it to break other laws (animal cruelty, trespass for instance).

$1500 is a pretty good budget, my son & I do a bit of archery but haven't done much in the way of hunting with them. PSE's and Darton's are the only bows I have had experience with personally (and both are very good) but go with a shop you are comfortable with and trust (they should be able to help with set up etc.) Grab some cheap alluminium arrows with broadheads and go for it. Arrows are pretty expensive in comparison to ammo, but at least you can get to re-use them but gee it hurts when you loose or break a $10.00 arrow.

Join the local archery club if there is one, field target archery is good cheap fun once you have the gear.

Waldo

Edited by Waldo

$1500 is a pretty good budget, my son & I do a bit of archery but haven't done much in the way of hunting with them. PSE's and Darton's are the only bows I have had experience with personally (and both are very good) but go with a shop you are comfortable with and trust (they should be able to help with set up etc.) Grab some cheap alluminium arrows with broadheads and go for it. Arrows are pretty expensive in comparison to ammo, but at least you can get to re-use them but gee it hurts when you loose or break a $10.00 arrow.

Join the local archery club if there is one, field target archery is good cheap fun once you have the gear.

Waldo

I have a compound bow, just make sure you get on that fits you. The right size bow for your draw length is critical

Guest caveman

gees $1000 to get started, you should be able to get into it for around $500+, go and see darel reeks at dinmore or eagle archery , they will set you on the right track, then come over here to warwick and i will introduce you to an australian coach, he will start you off doing right from the start instead of starting off doing it wrong

Hey Caveman, I know Darryl Reeks very well. His son Steven (many time world champion)was a good friend of mine before he passed away. We used to shoot at Caboolture and stay at his property in Dinmore. Anyway..... back to the question...

Nook: You can certainly get started on the cheap but you will probably find you will want to progress to more expensive bits and pieces I won an Australian title (IFAA) in 92 with a $300 bow (bear whitetail II) and 2117 aluminium arrows that were too heavy for the bow lol. Its all my parents could afford at the time but I practised a LOT.

PSE, Hoyt, Browning, Matthews etc are all makers of quality bows, but like caveman said you need to go and see someone who can help you choose properly. I started making wooden arrows before using alloy and eventually made my own carbon arrows at $25.25 just for the parts. I recommend you start with alloy arrows because you WILL lose lots of them. You will probably get frustrated with wooden arrows as they become bent quickly especially when a bit of moisture gets to them.

As for the laws, you can shoot in your back yard all day long. Want more info email me at greenzx9r@optusnet.com.au

I have been doing archery for over 40 years and, yes I now shoot a compound. The best advice I could give you is do not, repeat, do not buy anything over the net or from some sports store. If you are near Darryl Reeks, go and see him. Explain what you want a compound for and heed his advice. It is so easy to end up with the wrong equipment and then find out it is useless for your purpose.