Sharpening An Letherman Selway Hunting Knife

Beno

Good afternoon gentlemen.

My girl just bought me a letherman selway hunting knife for my birthday! She is a rare breed and i'm lucky to have her. I'm moving to katherine and she suggested i buy a new gun safe and a bigger rifle to hunt buff so i don't think there is a better one for me. :D

However i don't know much about knives and was hoping to get some tips on sharpening it so i can shave with it. It has a diamond imbedded tool to use. What do i do to achieve a super sharp blade? Also will i be able to do the same with other knives?

Also what is the gut hook for and how is it used?

Cheers

Beno

THis is a wicked knife and i want to use it asap on some pig.

Beno

Marry the girlfriend and pick yourself up a lansky knife sharpening kit. If you want to spend some real coin go for a Tormek water wheel. I have both and both will give you shaving sharp knives but the tormek will do it in about 60 seconds. Also grab a bit of smooth leather about 400mm long and contact glue it to a bit of plywood and rub some jewlers rouge of polishing compond into it to give the edge a final strop when your finished.

Morry

Good advice - I have the Lansky but prefer to use the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 though I do not consider myself expert with either.

Depending on how much you wan to get into it there is a lot of advice available by googling and videos on utube.

Bladeforums.com is a good source in the maintenance and tinkering section -and an eye opner on how obsessive you can get

At the moment I just get my knives to shaving sharp but not "scary sharp"/hair popping sharp like many on the baldeforums seem to

Moro where do you get the rouge form - jwelellers or a hardware store?

A couple of good hints I heard were the paper trick to get angles (not needed if using lansky or sharpmaker which help with angles) and the sharpy trick which is running an marker along the blade edge before sharpening to show by what gets polished off where you are actually sharpening and wheter you have the correct angle.

The other hint is to practice on knives you don't care about - like the cheap victornix ktichen knives we all have a couple of

hope this helps.

Both the sharpmaker and lansky are available most cheaply off ebay

Beno

Marry the girlfriend and pick yourself up a lansky knife sharpening kit. If you want to spend some real coin go for a Tormek water wheel. I have both and both will give you shaving sharp knives but the tormek will do it in about 60 seconds. Also grab a bit of smooth leather about 400mm long and contact glue it to a bit of plywood and rub some jewlers rouge of polishing compond into it to give the edge a final strop when your finished.

Morry

I've been trying to find someone to sharpen my knives. This bloke I know is gonna give it a go for me..

He described a similar routine