What Knife For U?

wil5os

I just use the victornox butcher knives for dressing about $35 each and carry a kershaw folding knife in my back pack

6" Boner

7" Skinner

just got a set of Dexter russels a few days ago

Got a filleter and a butchers and a steel all to go in a roll up under the seat.

Haven't used them in the field yet but the filleter shaved from new out of the box and the buthcher was majic dressing the steaks last night.

Easy to handle with butcher grade sealed grips too.

My latest addition is an older style Russell Green Rivers 7" boner, with carbon steel blade and beech wood handle.

I reckon that you don't have to spend any more than $35 bucks on a great knife. Victorinox, Swibo, F-####...all the butchers can't be wrong. I actually picked up a couple of brand new Swibo's from a butchers shop a few months ago for only $18 each!

What steels do you fellas use?

post-14-1164880399.jpg

Here's mine, always very sharp. Nothing special namewise but they work for me aye.

The bottom one I carry all the time when hunting, it's the second one I've had it cost $20 and find it great for all skinning/caping needs. The upper two I normally use for butchering, along with one of those cheap $60 GMC electric Recipricating saws for splitting the carcass etc. :o;)

post-14-1165147695.jpg

......g-day......

A muela scorpian 26w is the way to go ive used mine for three years and

had no probs with it, it holds an edge pretty well and is easily touched up with a

decent steel i use an fdick i can stick about ten pigs with it before it needs a touch

up thats not to bad in my books, it has a handle which is 15 cm and made out of a

black none slip rubber

and the blade is stainless steel 440 and is 26 cm and has a blood groove running

most of its length it comes with a heavy duty leather sheath and retails for

$110 rrp

overall it is a knife for someone who likes em tough, and also likes a knife with a bit of length.

got2rifles .........maddo.......... got2rifles

heres a few of mine, each have their purpose. From top to bottom, Blade Runner bowie, Buffalo River 5", the next 2 are hand made by a mate (registered knife maker if anyone is interested, has made many from horn and antlers), and bottom one is a c####t caper.

22122006218tg7.jpg

22122006220bn1.jpg

I use a japanese whaling knife, purchased about 6yrs ago. Now of the market for politically correct reasons :o

Global Knives - Anyways she is 100% high grade S/Steel and hasn't corroded even after being exposed to long periods of salty moisture....... 3.5-4mm at the back and can split a Sambars chest from woh to go in no time, it has even caped every thing from goats, hog deer to sambar. As to be expected holds an edge for a very long time even when used to chop bones, sharpening is a little longer than my swibo in the kitchen but gives a good break in the field :D

SSGA

I have a couple of sheathed Dexter Russell 5.5" sheep skinners, one stainless, one carbon steel, and one sheathed Dexter Russell 6" curved boner, which also doubles as a sticker if needs be.

http://www.everten.com.au/prod269.htm

http://www.everten.com.au/prod598.htm

...and to keep 'em sharp...

http://www.everten.com.au/prod281.htm

Ed

I use a japanese whaling knife, purchased about 6yrs ago. Now of the market for politically correct reasons :o

Global Knives - Anyways she is 100% high grade S/Steel and hasn't corroded even after being exposed to long periods of salty moisture....... 3.5-4mm at the back and can split a Sambars chest from woh to go in no time, it has even caped every thing from goats, hog deer to sambar. As to be expected holds an edge for a very long time even when used to chop bones, sharpening is a little longer than my swibo in the kitchen but gives a good break in the field :D

SSGA

dunno mate, wouldn't like the idea of not haveing a bolster on a hunting knife. i find global knives dont keep their edge for long but you can get a fantastic edge on them.

461412.jpg

Here's a photo Lachy, i find the bolster fine even when working on fatty velvet stags :D

It is a great shape to sharpen and you are right the edge is razor!

There is one really cool feature that i learnt after purchasing the knife, the blade goes up to the bolster.......a lot of current knives the blade stops 1/4-1/2" from the bolster and there is a gap of unshapened steel. This can make for a rather difficult gutting job on large animals......as the hide keeps sliding past the sharp blade onto the blunt and bolster.. :angry:

BTW it is great to find somebody else other than a chef who knows about global B)

SSGA

Mate go the Butchers knife any and every day if you can work the @ss of them in a shop/boning room then the average punter will have no probs in the feild. They sharpen well and hold good edges and are not to hard to touch up on the run.

The only down side to these knives is that sheaths are a little hard to get but any leather worker saddler should be able to knock 1 up.

So a pros side of this topic is keep it simple and straight to the point Victronox ,F-d1ck and swibo are three good 1s to keep in mind

1S1K ((0))