Hunting Camera

JD08

G'day guys just after some info on a good camera to buy. I'm after something not too expensive. I was thinking mabe a SLR but not too sure. I want to be able to take a photo of the animal (deer mainly) before i shoot it, will the noise of a camera spook it?

Cheers

JD

I have a Fuji Fine Pix. They are about $400 new.

Examples,

http://aushunt.com.au/Forum/index.php?showtopic=5990

The pix have been reduced in size.^ When you zoom in it will pixelate.

Camera,

http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcameras/came...39278658,00.htm

You have settings to stop/create noises or flashes.

I also have the Fuji film fine pix with 10mp and x12 optical zoom. Great camera with a few of the manual abilities like appature and shutter speed adjustments that come with an SLR, but way cheaper. Has great quality pics, good price and at the end of the day, if you dont know anything about photography, it will basically do it for you. :D

SLRs are mostly meant so you can change lenses and change effects, you sorta need a bit of know how.

Yer you don't want to be fiddling about with lenses while some nice stag or buck decides to #### off. SLRs offer the most control, but you will always have a mechanical click and they're pretty bulky. If you just want it for game and everday happy snaps go for something with reasonable mp (really anything over 6 or 7 is ample unless you're going to be printing out posters - 12mp is like having a v10 just for trip down to the shops) but optical zoom (stay away from digital) is what you want. I don't know a lot about point and shoot cameras - I only have SLRs - but that Fuji that Scott mentioned sounds pretty good.

Cheers,

Will

I have an SLR for two main reasons.

1) I can change the lens to suit what I need.

2) Speed. My SLR will take 5 shots in about 3-4 seconds, while still letting me view where I'm aiming. And it will take a shot when I press the button, not a second later.

Modern non-SLR cameras have a single sensor that does two things. It creates a live video stream for the viewfinder and/or LCD screen. When you take the photo, it has to stop streaming, take a picture and then resume streaming the video. This takes time, and so there is a delay between pressing the button and the picture being captured.

They also have a rapid-fire mode that lets you take multiple shots like an SLR, however they keep the sensor in capture mode so you lose sight of where you are aiming the camera.

An SLR on the other hand has a sensor that ONLY captures pictures and is always ready. The view finder works by simple optics. A mirror in front of the sensor directs the image up and into a prisim where it meets your eye.

Press the button and the mirror flicks up, the shutter opens and the sensor captures the image, the shutter closes and the mirror drops back down.

This happens in the blink of an eye, so when taking rapid fire shots, you can still see where to aim.

However, this comes at a cost. You can't record video with an SLR. You can't use the LCD on the back to aim with an SLR*. SLR's and the lenses you'll want/need are a bit on the bulky side.

And you can turn the noise off with an SLR.

For hunting, I'd say invest in a pocket sized camera with a large zoom and ok megapixels. 6mp is on par with the old 35mm film. And remember, more megapixels isn't always a good thing when the sensor size doesn't change. More megapixels in the same small area means less quality per pixel!!! (That reminds me, SLR's also have larger sensors for better quality pictures at the same megapixels)

* = There is only one camera I'm aware of that can use the LCD to aim, but it uses a second CCD sensor to do that. And it isn't one of the cheaper cameras.

Edit:

Robmaz, a digital zoom is much like cropping the picture on your computer and then enlarging it. It looks zoomed in, but you lose quality over it. And in general, if you need to zoom in more then your optical range lets you, use your photo editing software at home do the work. It can do it better then your camera can.

Edited by Fireman_DJ

2) Speed. My SLR will take 5 shots in about 3-4 seconds, while still letting me view where I'm aiming. And it will take a shot when I press the button, not a second later.

The Fuji Film has actually many more options for multiple speed shots and it had a glass view finder so it wont delay what you see or anything, just hold down, look through normal glass view and Bobs your aunty. It has a few different types of options and you can choose the quality they come out, speed they are taken and how many are to be taken.

Not trying to start a SLR VS Point and shoot. I just think the money could be better spent on ammo or something.

An SLR v P&S is like a rifle v shotgun debate, pointless lol. They're really for two different purposes but I'd follow Fireman DJs advice and go with the point and shoot. As I said the Fuji sounds pretty good.

Forgot to add, if you want a good review site, have a look at [ur=http://www.dpreview.com]DPReview[/url] One of the most comprehensive and detailed reviewing and tips sites out there.

Cheers,

Will

Edited by WillB

Thanks fellas. I do know a bit about photography and a mate's got a digital SLR very nice but mabe a bit too expensive just wanting peoples opinion on more compact cameras. But will the shutter sound scare offf the game at closer range?

Is that the Fujifilm FinePix S5700 that was linked in TinyTeds post?

Because that does not appear to be a traditional "glass view finder". It looks like normal second, small LCD screen, common to point & shoot cameras.

Here's how to find out. Turn the power off, can you still see thru the view finder? No means it's an LCD.

While money could be spent on ammo, it really depends on what you want in a camera.

My Mum sold her SLR and all her lenses to buy a top of the range point & shoot back many years ago so she coult take happy snaps of her new children. She regrets selling it all now, but I think she still enjoys looking at all the full albums.

If you're JUST getting the camera so show others what you got on the weekend or scouting a new spot, then a point & shoot would be good.

I have an SLR, but I submit photos to the local paper and did most of the advertising photos for the company I work for.

Mine is a FujiFilm Finepix S1000 (fd). It has a proper glass view finder.

I got it because of the good optical zoom, i dont like digital zooms and there arent many other P&S ones with this sort of zoom.

My main camera is an Olympus SP-510 UZ (10 x optical).

I also have one of those tiny Canons IXUS-70 (deck of cards) with the metal housing that fits in my pocket for when I'm on foot all day.

A good cheap camera is the Kodak ZD710 it is 10 x optical and takes great pics and have a Schneider lens. I have one and it's good to use in low light.

I have one of the Fujis as well, an S5600. It replaced my Nikon 35mm SLR, and does everything I want of it. It has enough optical zoom range (10x), shooting modes, settings, "film speeds" and so forth to allow a pretty high degree of flexibility. It is certainly much more convenient than my old film SLR.

It is true that you get a small lag between pressing the "shutter" and getting the shot, but the lag is small and as far as I can tell is getting less and less with newer designs.

Up until 10 days ago I used an Olympus mju 800 with 3x optical zoom. I've just purchased an Olympus SP-570 Ultra Zoom. Very impressed with the 20x optical zoom. Still learning to drive it.

Just wondering how the camera is going Drew.

i have narrowed my choices down to the following:-

Nikon Coolpix P80

Sony Cybershot H50

Olympus SP-570 UZ

Just wondering how the camera is going Drew.

i have narrowed my choices down to the following:-

Nikon Coolpix P80

Sony Cybershot H50

Olympus SP-570 UZ

Canon S5 mate is the way to go,there is far more into it that i care to go into here but it is the kick arse camera,i only have the Canon S3 you have seen my pics and the upgrade is the S5 its the newest.